Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

“I Am Canadian”: Challenging Stereotypes about Young Somali Canadians.... IRPP STUDY--JANUARY 2013

Wadani;910649 wrote:
What are the differences between the indo-paks in Canada vs the U.S.?

U.S immigration polices are more selective when it comes to Indian immigration.They are made up of the brightest engineers and scientists from India. Which is why they have the highest household income of any ethnic group in the U.S.

Wadani;910645 wrote:
Alpha, first of all I was joking and second of all at the time I was a broke student. Alhamdulillah i've graduated now and have a solid career. And besides there was never a 'Canadian dream' in the same way people speak of the 'American dream'. America has always been, before the economic downturn that is, the greater land of opportunity compared to it's neighbour up north. But overall Canada does afford one myriad paths to success if they have the know-how and drive to to take advantage of them.

are you canadian or a somali? are you able to culturally navigate your way through the identity crises that faces our children?

Wadani   

Alpha Blondy;910678 wrote:
are you canadian or a somali? are you able to culturally navigate your way through the identity crises that faces our children?

I'm as Somali as one can get for someone who was almost born in Canada. I speak, read and write effortlessly in my mother tongue and have a good grasp of Somali history and cultural norms. I identify as a Somali-Canadian, and not as a Canadian-Somali. But I do love Canada, and am grateful for the life it has given me and my family and the countless other Somalis fleeing the civil war.

a famous racist conservative politician from the thatcher era called norman tebbit devised the 'cricket test'. the 'cricket test' was a test based on the loyalty of immigrant ethnic minorities like indians, pakistani, african-carribeans to the england cricket team. tebbit made the suggestion those immigrants who support their native countries as opposed to supporting the england cricket team were not integrated into the UK.

interesting. i know i would support the Somaliland football team over the bloody england football team anyday. but does that make me disloyal to my british values? NO.

identity these days is drawn from a myriad of different sources. the need for something concrete, definable and tangible is very important. its inconsistent to be half of something and a bit of the other. the mind is not able to comprehend this. i don't like these empty social constructs which hyphenate the person as though a specimen of sorts as Canadian-Somali or British-Somalis. its a lie. its a facade.

Wadani   

xabad;910689 wrote:
I am planning to come to Canada. I have a STEM degree. How easy is it to find a job Wadani ?

Go to the oil-rich Canadian province called Alberta, and u'll find a high paying job insha'Allah. Otherwise it may be quite a challenge landing something worthwhile.

xabad   

So outside Alberta one can't find a job. what jobs do the average joes get, ones without qualifications.

Wadani   

You could find jobs elsewhere, but it would be much more of an uphill battle. Somalis without qualifications work as security guards, factory workers/menial labour, taxi drivers, truck drivers and bus drivers.

Alpha Blondy;910696 wrote:
a famous racist conservative politician from the thatcher era called norman tebbit devised the
'cricket test'
. the
'cricket test'
was a test based on the loyalty of immigrant ethnic minorities like indians, pakistani, african-carribeans to the england cricket team. tebbit made the suggestion those immigrants who support their native countries as opposed to supporting the england cricket team were not integrated into the UK.

interesting. i know i would support the Somaliland football team over the bloody england football team anyday. but does that make me disloyal to my british values? NO.

identity these days is drawn from a myriad of different sources. the need for something concrete, definable and tangible is very important. its inconsistent to be half of something and a bit of the other. the mind is not able to comprehend this. i don't like these empty social constructs which hyphenate the person as though a specimen of sorts as Canadian-Somali or British-Somalis. its a lie. its a facade.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

i cannot even write my mother tongue. shame on me. how much longer will i continue with the excuses of its a oral language. my somalinimo is at risk and i've failed miserably. when will i be able to memories my nation's history like that of western history? when i will quote timaacade work in my musings? and erase from memory Western Canon literary 'masterpieces' LOL. when will i proudly speak of Maxamed Mooge/Aweys Khamees with the same reverence for western music.........i'm a fake, that's it. i'm an ugly, horrible, hybrid, half person without a place to call home, without belonging, without a sense of place! sometimes, i wish i never left my motherland to foreign lands. maybe, i'll be blissfully ignorant of this 'qurbo-joog' label, with its international currency, with its foreign speeches, with its aberrational values. i cannot handle being half of something and a bit of the other. i want to be complete. but i'll forever remain the alien from distance lands, the outsider, the foreigner, the visitor (waali miyaad Joogta) LOL .oh woe to me. i strived for perfection and emulated their customs, values and norms, sometimes, even better than them. but the sad truth is - i will never be accepted by my people as one of them. woe to me. :D

ignore the above because i ain't going back to a recession hit UK with its snows, pathetic PC culture, fake multiculturalism, and its keeping up with the Jones mentality. NO THANKS. SL 4 LIFE

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Alpha, sxb, ur Somalinimo card has been revoked. How could you live in Hargeisa and not speak the blessed language? LoL even in ur videos, I don't remember u speaking Somali. Smh.