Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Sandy

Romney camp: FEMA plays 'really important role'

By EMILY SCHULTHEIS | 10/31/12 2:02 PM EDT

More from James Hohmann from the campaign trail with Mitt Romney:

Mitt Romney's campaign tried Wednesday to reassure voters that the GOP nominee believes the Federal Emergency Management Agency plays a "really important role."

“Gov. Romney believes in a very efficient and effective disaster relief response, and he believes one of the ways to do that is put a premium on states and their efforts to respond to these disasters," senior adviser Kevin Madden told reporters on the flights from Tampa to Miami. "That’s why they call them first responders — they’re first to respond, the states. Traditionally, they’ve been best at responding to these disasters. But he does believe FEMA has a really important role there and that being a partner for these states is the best approach.”

The former Massachusetts governor ignored shouted questions on Tuesday during a disaster relief event in Kettering, Ohio, about whether he believes in the elimination of FEMA.

Many have included a comment Romney made during a New Hampshire debate when asked about FEMA in coverage of his response to Hurricane Sandy.

“Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction,” Romney said then. “And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better.”

Madden was noncommittal about whether Romney will tour storm damage. He said Romney spoke with Chris Christie, Tom Corbett and Bob McDonnell over the past two days. He said he does not think he has spoken with any Democratic governors.

“I don’t have any updates on anything about travel with storm damage, but we will continue to remind folks that they have an opportunity to help with relief efforts by donating to the Red Cross,” Madden said. “And I’ll update you on any schedule changes, but I don’t have anything right now.”

Asked if Romney agrees with Christie’s comment that Obama’s response to the natural disaster has been fantastic so far, Madden said: “I refer to Gov. Christie’s remarks. I believe the response is still going on so I’m not in a position to qualify the response by the federal government. I believe it’s still ongoing.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/10/romney-camp-fema-plays-really-important-role-147840.html

Asked if Romney agrees with Christie’s comment that Obama’s response to the natural disaster has been fantastic so far, Madden said: “I refer to Gov. Christie’s remarks. I believe the response is still going on so I’m not in a position to qualify the response by the federal government. I believe it’s still ongoing.”:D

Jacpher....I think Christi put Romney in awkward position. And Romney has to watch how much he criticizes Obama regardless of how Obama is responding to this disaster.

P.s Every Republican hates the federal Government till they need it.

Jacpher   

Che: At the rate Romney is changing his position on the issues, I won't be surprised if he starts acknowledging global warming is a reality after hurricane Sandy. The man is good at improvising his position/views as the battle to the White House heats up.

aero   

Romney has surpassed Kerry in his flip-flopping ways. And he expects the masses to vote for him? What an indecisive *insert slur word*.