Sign in to follow this  
Daandurreey

Replacing the hijab with a hair wig

Sheeq Nuur, if woman wears a hair wig so that her hair can't be seen, shouldn't that be sort of hijab? Why cover synthetic hair? I don't doubt some sheikh is going to come up with an excuse to say that this is haram, but what proof is there that it is truly haram.

Is this different from wearing gold, pretty hijab, nice perfume, or driving a nice car? They all bring attention to the woman and her beauty.

Honesita   

Originally posted by Daandurreey:

Is this different from wearing gold, pretty hijab, nice perfume, or driving a nice car? They all bring attention to the woman and her beauty.

Subhanna Allah, this statement reminded me of the tafseer for the verse in Surat alBaqara in which Allah prohibits Riba... those who consume it will try to defend themselves by saying: trade is just like riba... While they know it is not; but they only say this because they are no longer sane... May Allah guide us to the straight path.. Ameen.

The discussion was about Riba... these people jump to say well Trade is JUST LIKE Riba... you can almost hear them add: why don't you make it haraam yaa Allah. Do you see why they are lost?

Let's focus on the topic in hand...

Allah said wear Hijab... he did not say O' Women; stay away from Attention!

The statement above sounds like this: A nice car is JUST LIKE nice hair?

Sometimes I wonder why people who want to raise arguments against Allah and the Quran are not creative?

Fi Amaani'Laah

Originally posted by Daandurreey:

salaams wa ramadhan al mubarak

sister honesita is right about the connection begin false..especially with perfume and gold since its haram to leave your house with perfume that people around you can smell and its haram to wear gold that other people can see or hear making clinking noises under your clothes.. i dont know about the car

ameen

Daandureey, it's important to ask these questions, otherwise you never know. There are rules that govern what contitutes a Hijab. "A pretty hijb, with nice perfume" as you put it does not qualify as a hijaab neither does a hair wig smile.gif . My understanding is that you are trying to please Allah by wearing a Hijab so do it in a way that he will be pleased with. Here are the charrecteristics of a hijab acording to http://darulislam.in fo.

The Extent of Covering -The dress worn in public must cover the entire body except what has been specifically excluded (face, hands etc)

Thickness - The garment should be thick and opaque so as not to display the skin color and form of the body beneath it

Looseness - The clothing must hang loosely enough and not be so tight-fitting as to show the shape and size of the woman's body.

Color and Appearance - Allah has commanded women not to display their beauty, meaning both natural and acquired beauty.

Difference from men's Clothing - The clothing of a Muslim woman must not resemble the clothing of men (relative to the particular culture).

NO vain or Ostentatious Dressing - The woman's dress must noble an expression of ostentation, vanity or as a status symbol by being excessively showy or expensive, nor must it be excessively tattered so as to gain admiration and fame for being humble (Libaasu ashuri -applies to men too).

Ramadan karim to you sister.

Interesting discussion, I agree with the replies posted but would like to add this. In countries where the Hijab is prohibited e.g Turkey and France alot of Muslim women opted to wear a simple wig to cover their head than have their hair shown.Some Ulamaa's of those countries agreed on duress that wearing a wig is better than exposing one's hair.

fii amanillah

WOL.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

Interesting discussion, I agree with the replies posted but would like to add this. In countries where the Hijab is prohibited e.g Turkey and France alot of Muslim women opted to wear a simple wig to cover their head than have their hair shown.Some Ulamaa's of those countries agreed on duress that wearing a wig is better than exposing one's hair.

fii amanillah

WOL.

How so? What is their line of reasoning and proofs for such ridiculous ijtihads?

Originally posted by Honesita:

quote:Originally posted by Daandurreey:

Subhanna Allah, this statement reminded me of the tafseer for the verse in Surat alBaqara in which Allah prohibits Riba... those who consume it will try to defend themselves by saying: trade is just like riba... While they know it is not; but they only say this because they are no longer sane... May Allah guide us to the straight path.. Ameen.

The discussion was about Riba... these people jump to say well Trade is JUST LIKE Riba... you can almost hear them add: why don't you make it haraam yaa Allah. Do you see why they are lost?

Let's focus on the topic in hand...

Allah said wear Hijab... he did not say O' Women; stay away from Attention!

The statement above sounds like this: A nice car is JUST LIKE nice hair?

Sometimes I wonder why people who want to raise arguments against Allah and the Quran are not creative?

Fi Amaani'Laah
Although I basically agree with what you're saying, I don't think, however, that one should make false claims. The Quran (Allah swt) doesn't specifically ask the female to cover her hair. Please don't misunderstand - covering hair is very important, just be sure about the source, ok? smile.gif

Blessed   

^Where is your source? Since you're making a claim that counters the view of the Jamaacah; that the hair is part of the womans cawrah and needs covering. Allah also didn't give us great detail about the manner of our salah amongst many other issues in the Quran but the basic command is in the Quran - the interpretation and explanation in the sunnah. smile.gif

Daanduray,

1. My nice hijab / car or whatever is not MY AWRAH. My hair, legs etc are. You're argument is completely off but that's not the only issue here sis / bro..

2. Wigs are not permissible in themselves, the messenger (saw) cursed those who make / wear them. So wearing them even amongst mahrams a sin.

3. The wig is often designed to add to the womans beauty, would this not be counter productive?

4. We're not permitted to imitate none-Mulims and wearing a wig for a religious purpose belongs to the jewish faith. Lets be a bit creative, at least eh....

If stuck, sisters can instead wear hats, turbans etc and ensure as much of their awrah is covered. I've seen sisters do this in countries where hijab is banned.

Finally, in very dire situations where wearing hijab could lead to loss of life or livelihood, Allah in his Rahmah has given us the permission not to be so outward in our faith. And off course, there's always the option of hijrah. smile.gif

p.s As a literate and apparently educated person you have the means to dig into the books of tafsir, hadith and fiqh and fataawa to research the issue on your own and do away with the difficulty in believing 'some sheikhs'.

Alhamdulilah, we're so blessed to be able to access knowledge easily on the on the web.

Blessed, I seem to cause confusion everywhere I go! Makes me wonder whether I present my thoughts as clearly as I think I do! My dear, the Quran doesn't specifically ask the woman to cover her hair, it only talks about modesty, therefore I can't really present you the evidence. I'm not saying women shouldn't cover their hair (hair, like you said, is aura), I'm just saying that don't say it says in the Quran that women should cover their hair. Do you notice the difference? Because then, you are adding hadiths to the Quran.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty;

That they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof;

That they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty

Quran 24:31

Hope you got my point.

P.S Do you think all wigs are not permissible?

Blessed   

I'm sorry, I don't get your point. I think you're missing the context in which the verse you quoted was revealed and perhaps should go to back to the Arabic Quran.

In the Quran, the word that has been translated to mean veils is Khumurihin plural for khimar . khimar is a head covering. The women of that age wore a head covering as a cultural practice, this only covered their head so their hair would not appear ordinarily and would not fit into the exception of ila maa dahara. That part of the verse means draw your head covering over your bosoms and only reveal that which appears ordinarily.

The ahadith support this, Aisha (RA) describes the change in the believing womens appearance as something that resembled crows, imagine a woman who has a head covering that's tied at the back and falls behind her head, this is then drawn so that her neck and chest are covered - from a distance is does resemble a crow and then the hadith of Asma where the Messenger (SAW) spells out the awra.. Her hair wasn't revealed, her cloths weren't thick enough.

In short, the sister is therefore not making false claims. The Quran tells us to not only cover our hair but to go a little further. smile.gif

As for your second question, I believe what I previously said on wigs in light of hadiths on the subject. I know Qardawi says different, I don't agree with him.

Anyway, Eid Mubarak smile.gif

Thank you for this Blessed. I have always been under the impression that the Quran doesn't specifically mention the covering of hair, I never read what you said even in footnotes of translations. Even my father always spoke of 'jilbab' and never 'khimar'. I know there are plenty of hadiths about what should be visible.

But I wholeheartedly accept what you say.

About wigs: I have heard that wearing fake looking wigs is not haram. One sheihk concluded that it is similar to wearing a ponytail - as long as it is very clear/visible that it's not part of your hair.

Eid Mubarak!!