Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Prince Charles to plead Islam's cause to Bush

Jabhad   

Prince Charles to plead Islam's cause to Bush

By Andrew Alderson, Chief Reporter

(Filed: 29/10/2005)

The Prince of Wales will try to persuade George W Bush and Americans of the merits of Islam this week because he thinks the United States has been too intolerant of the religion since September 11.

The Prince, who leaves on Tuesday for an eight-day tour of the US, has voiced private concerns over America's "confrontational" approach to Muslim countries and its failure to appreciate Islam's strengths.

The Duchess of Cornwall will accompany her husband

The Prince raised his concerns when he met senior Muslims in London in November 2001. The gathering took place just two months after the attacks on New York and Washington. "I find the language and rhetoric coming from America too confrontational," the Prince said, according to one leader at the meeting.

It is understood that Prince Charles did not - and does not - believe that the actions of 19 hijackers should tarnish the reputation of hundreds of millions of law-abiding Muslims around the world.

Khalid Mahmood, the Labour MP for Birmingham Perry Bar, was also at the meeting at St James's Palace. "His criticism of America was a general one of the Americans not having the appreciation we have for Islam and its culture," he said.

Mr Mahmood and other Muslims present stressed that Prince Charles did not go so far as to criticise the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001. More recently, he has been careful not to express his views on Iraq.

The Prince also spoke of his sympathy for America after the terrorist attacks that claimed the lives of almost 3,000 people. He said he wanted to promote better relations between the different religions of the world.

Those present at the meeting in 2001 included Sir Iqbal Sacrani, the secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, and Hashir Faruqi, the chief editor of Impact International, an Islamic affairs magazine.

Prince Charles, who is about to embark on his first official foreign tour since his marriage to the Duchess of Cornwall, wants Americans - including Mr Bush - to share his fondness for Islam. He has agreed to attend a seminar on religions at Georgetown University, Washington, on Thursday: the only event where he will not be accompanied by the Duchess.

"The seminar will look at how faith groups can alleviate social problems in their community," a royal aide said.

The Prince and Duchess will attend a lunch and dinner with President Bush and his wife, Laura, at the White House on Wednesday.

Prince Charles has done more than any other member of the Royal Family in history to understand Islam. He said in 1994 that when he became Supreme Governor of the Church of England, he would rather be "defender of faiths" than "defender of the faith".

A year earlier Prince Charles made a speech, acclaimed throughout the Arab world, on relations between Islam and the West. He urged the West to overcome its "unthinkable prejudices" about Islam and its customs and laws.

He spoke warmly of the West's debt to the culture of Islam and distanced moderate Muslims from misguided militants. "Extremism is no more the monopoly of Islam than it is the monopoly of other religions, including Christianity," he said.

A senior aide to Prince Charles said yesterday: "The Prince has never promoted political messages around religion. He has simply said that he wants a greater tolerance and understanding of each other religions which will, in turn, promote better relations between faiths."

A spokesman for Clarence House declined to discuss the Prince's comments four years ago. "We never discuss private conversations," he said.

Prince Charles has been wooing the US media ahead of next week's tour when he will visit New York, Washington and San Francisco. It is considered a risky venture because Diana, Princess of Wales, who died eight years ago, was so revered in the US.

In an interview to be shown on CBS's 60 Minutes today, he speaks of his desire to enrich people's lives through his work. "I only hope that when I am dead and gone they might appreciate it a little more," he jokes.

Modesty   

That is great news, I always admired Prince Charles because he seems to be a fair minded individual. I too feel that the message of the American media is very harsh against Islam.They always choose words that make Islam seem evil...like everything bad is put next to Islam ..i.e. "Islamic Terrorist"...what does terrorism have to do with Islam, I never hear them say "Christian Terrorists" or "Hindu Terrorists" or Jewish terrorists. It's really bothersome to the believers when we hear our religion being abused by those individuals in power. We want peace, but to me it seems like they don't want peace they want everything to go their way in their quest for power and greed. I hope Prince Charles can do something to alleviate all this hatred that is being produced in the American Media for the general public to digest. Peace.

Jabhad   

The media has always being the driving force in the

I too feel that the message of the American media is very harsh against Islam.

Very true indeed! I found the British people are more educated in their knowledge of other cultures and religions than Americans, thanks to the British Media. On the other hand the Americans are very poorly informed about other cultures specially about Islam.

Jabhad   

Try to search google about this story and you will see the negative writing about this Princely adventure. Many news sites think he converted to Islam!.

Originally posted by haruun:

The media has always being the driving force in the
quote: I too feel that the message of the American media is very harsh against Islam.

Very true indeed! I found the British people are more educated in their knowledge of other cultures and religions than Americans, thanks to the British Media.
Don't pretend you just fell from the sky. Americans didn't become 'unfriendly' to Islam and muslims for no reason. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Strong emotions like 'hate' or extreme dislike of others don't take hold overnight for no reason.

Three thousand of their ppl including many muslims were massacred in NYC in 2001, did you forget?

Personally, I don't think americans hate Islam for religious or other reasons. They don't understand Islam and muslims. Just like they don't understand much of the world. This is what drives their ignorant and hostile attitude towards Islam -- its veracity open to debate. But the problem is further compounded by the Islamic terrorists like Al Quida and others who repeatedly vowed to bring woe to americans. They are afraid and naturally aren't as welcoming or understanding of muslims and Islam. And their media doesn't help given their propensity for sensationalism and lack of prioritization and contextualization of stories.

Lets put things in perspective and in proper context, shall we?

I can rationalise american attitudes vis-a-vis Islam and muslims but I can't understand why some muslims pretend they just fell from the sky, totally oblivious of recent world history and claim to be bemused and dumbfounded by america's beef with Islam. To me it seems such ppl are not only lying to themselve but perhaps lack firm grip on reality.

Cara.   

They always choose words that make Islam seem evil...like everything bad is put next to Islam ..i.e. "Islamic Terrorist"...what does terrorism have to do with Islam, I never hear them say "Christian Terrorists" or "Hindu Terrorists" or Jewish terrorists.

Here's a good explanation of why this is so.

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

I can rationalise american attitudes vis-a-vis Islam and muslims but I can't understand why some muslims pretend they just fell from the sky, totally oblivious of recent world history and claim to be bemused and dumbfounded by america's beef with Islam. To me it seems such ppl are not only lying to themselve but perhaps lack firm grip on reality.

No sane person condones what happened 9/11,but may I call this argument a brilliant American- flag waving, don't forget amercian imperalism and Racketeering in overseas for the last 150 years and still continues; lastest viticim is Iraq, no body talks about the treament of indians and blacks and muslims of today are not expectional, wherever American interest goes American bombs follows, the name of the game is OIL today, unfortuantley muslim countries sit on pool of oil american oil companies dictate not only the price but also the policies,companies like Haliburton, Bechetel,Schlumberger,Exxon,Texaco, and Mobile are the other hand of the CIA,and once upon a time Alqa'da was in the payroll of the CIA.

"Greed is Good",by broker Gordon Gekko(Michael Dogulas),remember the Wall Street film - this time the greedy broker is loaded with laser guided missles, and cluster bombs. that is the essence of the story.

Ps look at : Let the Bloody Truth Be Told: A Chronology of US Imperialism

Let the Bloody Truth Be Told:

A Chronology of U.S. Imperialism

B-52 carpetbombing Vietnam

My Lai Massacre

Other Useful Links on U.S. Imperialism

added by Jay Moore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Blum Page (ThirdWorldTraveler) -- excerpts from Bill Blum's Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II (Monroe ME: Common Courage Press, 1995) and other essays.

Military Spending Data (Council for a Livable World)

"Imperialism 101" -- Chapter One from Michael Parenti's Against Empire (San Francisco: City Lights, 1995).

"Murdering History" -- Chapter 10 from Noam Chomsky's Year 501

Anti-Imperialism in the United States, 1898-1935 by Jim Zwick, Syracuse University

The Age of Imperialism -- part of an Online History of the U.S.

Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism -- 1916 classic by V.I. Lenin

Selected Bibliography of Books on U.S. Foreign Policy and Empire by Will Miller, Dept. of Philosophy, University of Vermont

U.S. War Crimes in the 20th Century (Milwaukee Pledge of Resistance)

From Wounded Knee to Iraq

by Zoltan Grossman

The following is a partial list of U.S. military interventions from 1890 to 2003. This guide does not include:

mobilizations of the National Guard

offshore shows of naval strength

reinforcements of embassy personnel

the use of non-Defense Department personnel (such as the Drug Enforcement Administration)

military exercises

non-combat mobilizations (such as replacing postal strikers)

the permanent stationing of armed forces

covert actions where the U.S. did not play a command and control role

the use of small hostage rescue units

most uses of proxy troops

U.S. piloting of foreign warplanes

foreign disaster assistance

military training and advisory programs not involving direct combat

civic action programs

and many other military activities.

Among sources used, beside news reports, are the Congressional Record (23 June 1969), 180 Landings by the U.S. Marine Corp History Division, Ege & Makhijani in Counterspy (July-Aug, 1982), "Instances of Use of United States Forces Abroad, 1798-1993" by Ellen C. Collier of the Library of Congress Congressional Research Service, and Ellsberg in Protest & Survive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoltan Grossman is an Assistant Professor of Geography at the University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire (Box 4004, Eau Claire, WI 54701 USA). His peace writings can be seen at http://www.uwec.edu/grossmzc/peace.html and he can be reached at zoltan@igc.org .

SOUTH DAKOTA 1890 (-?) Troops 300 Lakota Indians massacred at Wounded Knee.

ARGENTINA 1890 Troops Buenos Aires interests protected.

CHILE 1891 Troops Marines clash with nationalist rebels.

HAITI 1891 Troops Black revolt on Navassa defeated.

IDAHO 1892 Troops Army suppresses silver miners' strike.

HAWAII 1893 (-?) Naval, troops Independent kingdom overthrown, annexed.

CHICAGO 1894 Troops Breaking of rail strike, 34 killed.

NICARAGUA 1894 Troops Month-long occupation of Bluefields.

CHINA 1894-95 Naval, troops Marines land in Sino-Japanese War

KOREA 1894-96 Troops Marines kept in Seoul during war.

PANAMA 1895 Troops, naval Marines land in Colombian province.

NICARAGUA 1896 Troops Marines land in port of Corinto.

CHINA 1898-1900 Troops Boxer Rebellion fought by foreign armies.

PHILIPPINES 1898-1910 (-?) Naval, troops Seized from Spain, killed 600,000 Filipinos

CUBA 1898-1902 (-?) Naval, troops Seized from Spain, still hold Navy base.

PUERTO RICO 1898 (-?) Naval, troops Seized from Spain, occupation continues.

GUAM 1898 (-?) Naval, troops Seized from Spain, still use as base.

MINNESOTA 1898 (-?) Troops Army battles Chippewa at Leech Lake.

NICARAGUA 1898 Troops Marines land at port of San Juan del Sur.

SAMOA 1899 (-?) Troops Battle over succession to throne.

NICARAGUA 1899 Troops Marines land at port of Bluefields.

IDAHO 1899-1901 Troops Army occupies Coeur d'Alene mining region.

OKLAHOMA 1901 Troops Army battles Creek Indian revolt.

PANAMA 1901-14 Naval, troops Broke off from Colombia 1903, annexed Canal Zone 1914.

HONDURAS 1903 Troops Marines intervene in revolution.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1903-04 Troops U.S. interests protected in Revolution.

KOREA 1904-05 Troops Marines land in Russo-Japanese War.

CUBA 1906-09 Troops Marines land in democratic election.

NICARAGUA 1907 Troops "Dollar Diplomacy" protectorate set up.

HONDURAS 1907 Troops Marines land during war with Nicaragua

PANAMA 1908 Troops Marines intervene in election contest.

NICARAGUA 1910 Troops Marines land in Bluefields and Corinto.

HONDURAS 1911 Troops U.S. interests protected in civil war.

CHINA 1911-41 Naval, troops Continuous occupation with flare-ups.

CUBA 1912 Troops U.S. interests protected in civil war.

PANAMA 1912 Troops Marines land during heated election.

HONDURAS 1912 Troops Marines protect U.S. economic interests.

NICARAGUA 1912-33 Troops, bombing 10-year occupation, fought guerillas

MEXICO 1913 Naval Americans evacuated during revolution.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1914 Naval Fight with rebels over Santo Domingo.

COLORADO 1914 Troops Breaking of miners' strike by Army.

MEXICO 1914-18 Naval, troops Series of interventions against nationalists.

HAITI 1914-34 Troops, bombing 19-year occupation after revolts.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1916-24 Troops 8-year Marine occupation.

CUBA 1917-33 Troops Military occupation, economic protectorate.

WORLD WAR I 1917-18 naval, troops Ships sunk, fought Germany for 1 1/2 years.

RUSSIA 1918-22 Naval, troops Five landings to fight Bolsheviks

PANAMA 1918-20 Troops "Police duty" during unrest after elections.

HONDURAS 1919 Troops Marines land during election campaign.

YUGOSLAVIA 1919 Troops/Marines intervene for Italy against Serbs in Dalmatia.

GUATEMALA 1920 Troops 2-week intervention against unionists.

WEST VIRGINIA 1920-21 Troops, bombing Army intervenes against mineworkers.

TURKEY 1922 Troops Fought nationalists in Smyrna.

CHINA 1922-27 Naval, troops Deployment during nationalist revolt.

HONDURAS 1924-25 Troops Landed twice during election strife.

PANAMA 1925 Troops Marines suppress general strike.

CHINA 1927-34 Troops Marines stationed throughout the country.

EL SALVADOR 1932 Naval Warships send during Marti revolt.

WASHINGTON DC 1932 Troops Army stops WWI vet bonus protest.

WORLD WAR II 1941-45 Naval, troops, bombing, nuclear Hawaii bombed, fought Japan, Italy and Germay for 3 years; first nuclear war.

DETROIT 1943 Troops Army put down Black rebellion.

IRAN 1946 Nuclear threat Soviet troops told to leave north.

YUGOSLAVIA 1946 Nuclear threat, naval Response to shoot-down of US plane.

URUGUAY 1947 Nuclear threat Bombers deployed as show of strength.

GREECE 1947-49 Command operation U.S. directs extreme-right in civil war.

GERMANY 1948 Nuclear Threat Atomic-capable bombers guard Berlin Airlift.

CHINA 1948-49 Troops/Marines evacuate Americans before Communist victory.

PHILIPPINES 1948-54 Command operation CIA directs war against Huk Rebellion.

PUERTO RICO 1950 Command operation Independence rebellion crushed in Ponce.

KOREA 1951-53 (-?) Troops, naval, bombing , nuclear threats U.S./So. Korea fights China/No. Korea to stalemate; A-bomb threat in 1950, and against China in 1953. Still have bases.

IRAN 1953 Command Operation CIA overthrows democracy, installs Shah.

VIETNAM 1954 Nuclear threat French offered bombs to use against seige.

GUATEMALA 1954 Command operation, bombing, nuclear threat CIA directs exile invasion after new gov't nationalized U.S. company lands; bombers based in Nicaragua.

EGYPT 1956 Nuclear threat, troops Soviets told to keep out of Suez crisis; Marines evacuate foreigners.

LEBANON l958 Troops, naval Marine occupation against rebels.

IRAQ 1958 Nuclear threat Iraq warned against invading Kuwait.

CHINA l958 Nuclear threat China told not to move on Taiwan isles.

PANAMA 1958 Troops Flag protests erupt into confrontation.

VIETNAM l960-75 Troops, naval, bombing, nuclear threats Fought South Vietnam revolt & North Vietnam; one million killed in longest U.S. war; atomic bomb threats in l968 and l969.

LAOS 1962 Command operation Military buildup during guerrilla war.

CUBA l961 Command operation CIA-directed exile invasion fails.

GERMANY l961 Nuclear threat Alert during Berlin Wall crisis.

CUBA l962 Nuclear threat, naval Blockade during missile crisis; near-war with Soviet Union.

PANAMA l964 Troops Panamanians shot for urging canal's return.

INDONESIA l965 Command operation Million killed in CIA-assisted army coup.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1965-66 Troops, bombing Marines land during election campaign.

GUATEMALA l966-67 Command operation Green Berets intervene against rebels.

DETROIT l967 Troops Army battles Blacks, 43 killed.

UNITED STATES l968 Troops After King is shot; over 21,000 soldiers in cities.

CAMBODIA l969-75 Bombing, troops, naval Up to 2 million killed in decade of bombing, starvation, and political chaos.

OMAN l970 Command operation U.S. directs Iranian marine invasion.

LAOS l971-73 Command operation, bombing U.S. directs South Vietnamese invasion; "carpet-bombs" countryside.

SOUTH DAKOTA l973 Command operation Army directs Wounded Knee siege of Lakotas.

MIDEAST 1973 Nuclear threat World-wide alert during Mideast War.

CHILE 1973 Command operation CIA-backed coup ousts elected marxist president.

CAMBODIA l975 Troops, bombing Gas captured ship, 28 die in copter crash.

ANGOLA l976-92 Command operation CIA assists South African-backed rebels.

IRAN l980 Troops, nuclear threat, aborted bombing Raid to rescue Embassy hostages; 8 troops die in copter-plane crash. Soviets warned not to get involved in revolution.

LIBYA l981 Naval jets Two Libyan jets shot down in maneuvers.

EL SALVADOR l981-92 Command operation, troops Advisors, overflights aid anti-rebel war, soldiers briefly involved in hostage clash.

NICARAGUA l981-90 Command operation, naval CIA directs exile (Contra) invasions, plants harbor mines against revolution.

LEBANON l982-84 Naval, bombing, troops Marines expel PLO and back Phalangists, Navy bombs and shells Muslim positions.

GRENADA l983-84 Troops, bombing Invasion four years after revolution.

HONDURAS l983-89 Troops Maneuvers help build bases near borders.

IRAN l984 Jets Two Iranian jets shot down over Persian Gulf.

LIBYA l986 Bombing, naval Air strikes to topple nationalist gov't.

BOLIVIA 1986 Troops Army assists raids on cocaine region.

IRAN l987-88 Naval, bombing US intervenes on side of Iraq in war.

LIBYA 1989 Naval jets Two Libyan jets shot down.

VIRGIN ISLANDS 1989 Troops St. Croix Black unrest after storm.

PHILIPPINES 1989 Jets Air cover provided for government against coup.

PANAMA 1989 (-?) Troops, bombing Nationalist government ousted by 27,000 soldiers, leaders arrested, 2000+ killed.

LIBERIA 1990 Troops Foreigners evacuated during civil war.

SAUDI ARABIA 1990-91 Troops, jets Iraq countered after invading Kuwait. 540,000 troops also stationed in Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Israel.

IRAQ 1990-? Bombing, troops, naval Blockade of Iraqi and Jordanian ports, air strikes; 200,000+ killed in invasion of Iraq and Kuwait; no-fly zone over Kurdish north, Shiite south, large-scale destruction of Iraqi military.

KUWAIT 1991 Naval, bombing, troops Kuwait royal family returned to throne.

LOS ANGELES 1992 Troops Army, Marines deployed against anti-police uprising.

SOMALIA 1992-94 Troops, naval, bombing U.S.-led United Nations occupation during civil war; raids against one Mogadishu faction.

YUGOSLAVIA 1992-94 Naval NATO blockade of Serbia and Montenegro.

BOSNIA 1993-? Jets, bombing No-fly zone patrolled in civil war; downed jets, bombed Serbs.

HAITI 1994-? Troops, naval Blockade against military government; troops restore President Aristide to office three years after coup.

ZAIRE (CONGO) 1996-97 Troops Marines at Rwandan Hutu refugee camps, in area where Congo revolution begins.

LIBERIA 1997 Troops Soldiers under fire during evacuation of foreigners.

ALBANIA 1997 Troops Soldiers under fire during evacuation of foreigners.

SUDAN 1998 Missiles Attack on pharmaceutical plant alleged to be "terrorist" nerve gas plant.

AFGHANISTAN 1998 Missiles Attack on former CIA training camps used by Islamic fundamentalist groups alleged to have attacked embassies.

IRAQ 1998-? Bombing, Missiles Four days of intensive air strikes after weapons inspectors allege Iraqi obstructions.

YUGOSLAVIA 1999 Bombing, Missiles Heavy NATO air strikes after Serbia declines to withdraw from Kosovo. NATO occupation of Kosovo.

YEMEN 2000 Naval USS Cole bombed.

MACEDONIA 2001 Troops NATO forces deployed to move and disarm Albanian rebels.

UNITED STATES 2001 Jets, naval Reaction to hijacker attacks on New York, DC

AFGHANISTAN 2001-? Troops, bombing, missiles Massive U.S. mobilization to overthrow Taliban, hunt Al Qaeda fighters, install Karzai regime. Forces also engaged in neighboring Pakistan.

YEMEN 2002 Missiles Predator drone missile attack on Al Qaeda, including a US citizen.

PHILIPPINES 2002 Troops, naval Training mission for Philippine military fighting Muslim Abu Sayyaf rebels evolves into US combat missions in Sulu Archipelago next to Mindanao.

COLOMBIA 2003-? Troops US special forces sent to rebel zone to back up Colombian military protecting oil pipeline.

IRAQ 2003-? Troops, naval, bombing, missiles Second Gulf War launched for "regime change" in Baghdad. US, joined by UK and Australia, attacks from Kuwait, other Gulf states, and European and US bases.

WHERE NEXT? NO MORE!

Sometimes They Tell the Truth:

"The hidden hand of the market will never work without a hidden fist -- McDonald's cannot flourish without McDonnell-Douglas, the designer of the F-15. And the hidden fist that keeps the world safe for Silicon Valley's technologies is called the US Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps."

-- Thomas Friedman, "A Manifesto for the Fast World", New York Times Magazine, March 28, 1999

"We have 50 percent of the world's wealth, but only 6.3 percent of its population. . . In this situation we cannot fail to be the object of envy and resentment. Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of relationships which will allow us to maintain this position of disparity. We should cease to talk about the raising of the living standards, human rights, and democratization. The day is not far off when we are going to have to deal in straight power concepts. The less we are then hampered by idealistic slogans, the better."

-- George Kennan, Director of Policy Planning of the U.S. Dept. of State, 1948

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its "muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men" to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss" Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912 (where have I heard that name before?). I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

-- Excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933 by Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Modesty,

What? maxaa dhahthey :confused:

Sharmarkee,

You can catalogue all the countries the US invaded, regimes it overthrew, coup detats it orchestrated, people it enslaved, displaced, disenfranchised...but what is that prove? That america is no different from all the other empires that pre-dated it?

Or are you suggesting the US is special case?

I like to know what your reasoning was behind your post.

Muhammad   

Originally posted by Callypso:

quote:They always choose words that make Islam seem evil...like everything bad is put next to Islam ..i.e. "Islamic Terrorist"...what does terrorism have to do with Islam, I never hear them say "Christian Terrorists" or "Hindu Terrorists" or Jewish terrorists.

Here's a good
of why this is so.
Callypso, are you joking?

can you realy trust a Hindu Economist's, who is on the Indian Government's payroll btw, view on 'Islmaic Terrorism'?

If we just ignore the fanatic Hindutva Fascism's website you posted, you have to admit Mr.Arvind Virmani is some what biased?

In recent history the only other groups that can arguably be classed as religion based were the ‘Sikh terrorists’ trained in or based in Pakistan.
Arvind Virmani

:D

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

Modesty,

What? maxaa dhahthey :confused:

Sharmarkee,

You can catalogue all the countries the US invaded, regimes it overthrew, coup detats it orchestrated, people it enslaved, displaced, disenfranchised...but what is that prove? That america is no different from all the other empires that pre-dated it?

Or are you suggesting the US is special case?

I like to know what your reasoning was behind your post.

Salaam

Socodbane,

Bro,

First of all I didn’t catalogue this information but prominent American writers and thinkers wrote those who are fed up with their government’s aggressions, double standards, and evil intentions toward other races, peoples of the world and Muslims in particular.

As for Muslims issue: that was my point that there is a collective intolerance of not from all American society, but in the government, and in the media for hateful rhetoric directed against Muslims, and dehumanising them.

Prove as what happened at Abu Ghraib (prison), in Guantanmo bay was just a glimpse of evidence of a broader culture of dehumanising Muslims,and destruction of Iraq and that Shock and Awe are all based on the American understanding of the innate superiority as a Superpower, or maybe believe that Far-Right Christianity is more superior than other races.

But if you saying America is an empire like all other empires and it can get away with it - destroying other people’s countries and raining them with napalm. Well if it’s fine with you there is some American people who don’t like that and who have a clean and clear conscience about injustice and want to stop that by all means, their websites and information is available in all medium.

But for sure Muslims cannot blame all their shortcomings to the Americans, and we as Somalis in particular, the west in general were been good for us comparing to other Islamic countries and Arabs nations who didn’t give a shit our misery, and how they treat us during our civil war which was inhuman and un-Islamic, so I can take from you if you say WE as a Somalis we don’t have no business of getting involved in this world stage politics. We went through hell and still our people are suffering. We have our own terrorist and warlords to deal with. Yes indeed very much so I can take that.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Muhammad:

quote:Originally posted by Callypso:

[qb]
quote:

They always choose words that make Islam seem evil...like everything bad is put next to Islam ..i.e. "Islamic Terrorist"...what does terrorism have to do with Islam, I never hear them say "Christian Terrorists" or "Hindu Terrorists" or Jewish terrorists.

Here's a good
of why this is so.
Callypso, are you joking?
Okay, I admit I had reservations about the website (when it comes to Islam, Hindu Nationalists make Pat Buchanan look like Yusuf Islam), but the man's views are sound in this case. If you have anything specific you object to, then please share.

Cara.   

^^

But if you saying America is an empire like all other empires and it can get away with it - destroying other people’s countries and raining them with napalm. Well if it’s fine with you there is some American people who don’t like that and who have a clean and clear conscience about injustice and want to stop that by all means, their websites and information is available in all medium.

Right on.