Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Mona Eltahawy and the anti-Muslim subway ads: is hers the right approach?

Ibtisam   

Mona Eltahawy and the anti-Muslim subway ads: is hers the right approach?

A US civil court ruling that several controversial 'anti-Jihad' advertisements in 10 New York City subway stations are protected under the first amendment has prompted prominent Egyptian American writer and activist Mona Eltahawy to protest.

On Tuesday night, Eltahawy was arrested after spraying paint over one of the ads, which read: 'In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad.'

The New York Post recorded the incident, which includes a lengthy and awkward standoff between Eltahawy and a woman identified as Pamela Hall.

"Mona, do you think you have the right to do this?" Eltahawy was asked. "I do, actually," Eltahawy replied, adding: "I think this is freedom of expression, just as [the ad] is freedom of expression."

Eventually, the NYPD arrived. "See this, America?" Eltahawy said as she was handcuffed by police. "This is what happens to non-violent protest in 2012. I'm an Egyptian American and I refuse hate."

Eltahawy is not alone in her frustration. Since the ads went up, several groups, including prominent Jewish figures, have demanded they be removed. Eltahawy, however, is the first to take action.

The MTA has said its "hands are tied" over the ads, which means the posters could be there to stay. But has Eltahawy's arrest proved a point? Do you agree with Eltahawy that spraying paint over the ad should be allowed as 'freedom of expression'? Should more people take action? Or is this the wrong approach? Use this open thread to discuss.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/26/mona-eltahawy-anti-muslim-subway-ads

wyre   

Everyone who leaves his religion and seeking a name abusing the religion,

waxaa su'aal taagan ah, ma ilaahey baad isku taagi kartaa adigoo xagiisa quraanjo kala awood yar??

The ads are shallow and a reminder of how jaded american politics is. That said, no you don't have the right to vandalise property, public or private.

Ibtisam   

I was asking Wyre- the rest of you had not posted when I posted that reply :D

I agree, smart thing would be to buy the ad next to it and then have a big red arrow pointing at the offending add with your own message.