Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Shameless apologist

Jacpher   

^:D No one can crush a debate like an good atheist. :D

Exactly. Thanks for proving my point. Muslim slaves were brought to the shores of America by Christians. Tell them Muslim slaves their 'religious status' should have spared them from slavery.

Jacpher;873973 wrote:
^
:D
No one can crush a debate like an good atheist.

Exactly. Thanks for proving my point. Muslim slaves were brought to the shores of America by Christians. Tell them Muslim slaves their 'religious status' should have spared them from slavery.

Did you hear it whiz past your head?

Garnaqsi   
Don't really bother with history. It's going to end-up being an unproductive endeavour in the end. The thread starter is one of those people who never finished a book. I had a debate with him once and presented the OED as a source and he complained that it's stuff that's written by white people. There are many people with whom there can be productive debates (ElPunto, for example), but there also those who are completely hopeless (Sharmarke, N.O.R.F, Miskiin, too many really). I'm learning to avoid the latter group!

Jacpher   

^Hayye idinka sow 'cabd-dirham' ma tihidin?

So in essence, the few atheists in here are a good testimony Somalis weren't spared from dirham/dinar slavery. :D

Wadani   

Blackflash, Somalis weren't enslaved because they were and are a fierce nomadic nation, whom the arabs could never subjugate in their wildest dreams even if we had remained pagans. True Somali nomads are volatile, aggressive and xenophobic. It definitely wasn't a misnomer when the British deemed us to be 'The Irish of East Africa', after coming face to face with this proud warrior nation . A love of Freedom and an egalitarian ethos permeates the Somali culture, which precludes the possibilty of enslavement, especially by Arabs, whom mind you the nomads of yore held in low regard as can be seen from some of Sayid Mohamed Abdullah's poems. For heavens sake, he refered to them as 'naags', and you expect us to believe such a people could be our Masters? You got it twisted bro.

Far being owned, Somalis themselves actively took part in the flourishing East african slave trade, keeping some of the captured for themselves and selling the rest to the arabs. The northern port city of Zaylac for example was a well established hub for slave trading, with it's importance waning after the British ban on the selling and buying of people was put in to effect.

Wadani;873987 wrote:
Blackflash, Somalis weren't enslaved because they were and are a fierce nomadic nation, whom the arabs could never subjugate in their wildest dreams even if we had remained pagans. True Somali nomads are volatile, aggressive and xenophobic. It definitely wasn't a misnomer when the British deemed us to be 'The Irish of East Africa', after coming face to face with this proud warrior nation . A love of Freedom and an egalitarian ethos permeates the Somali culture, which precludes the possibilty of enslavement, especially by Arabs, whom mind you the nomads of yore held in low regard as can be seen from some of Sayid Mohamed Abdullah's poems. For heavens sake, he refered to them as 'naags', and you expect us to believe such a people could be our Masters? You got it twisted bro.

Far being owned, Somalis themselves actively took part in the flourishing East african slave trade, keeping some of the captured for themselves and selling the rest to the arabs. The northern port city of Zaylac for example was a well established hub for slave trading, with it's importance waning after the British ban on the selling and buying of people was put in to effect.

That's precisely why I used the Dinka as an example in my third question. They too were comprised of fierce warrior clans.

RaMpAgE;873988 wrote:
The amount of atheist's on this forum is disgusting, I don't understand how SOL can give them a platform to spread their ideas.

Spread our ideas? I came online to find someone citing me from another website, and responded to his claims accordingly.

There seems to be a general trend on this board. A member will make a remark about atheism/secularism. An atheist/secularist will respond and is then chastised for bringing up religion.

Jacpher;873990 wrote:
^Who is 'I came' and 'we responded'. Is that you in multiple person? Perhaps multiple logins

Ask the creator of this thread to cross reference our I.P addresses ;)

Jacpher   

^What's your role in this discussion? A defense lawyer :D

You haven't shared your take on the topic except accuse MMA of using some type of power which you fail to explain or accuse me of discrediting him. I re-stated what he edited out from his post, those were not my words, his words and I think he can defend his words on his own. Why don't you have an opinion? Do you agree or not agree? I made my argument. Your argument so far seems to be a mere foul cry, don't ask my fellow atheist hard questions. :D

Chimera   

RaMpAgE;873988 wrote:
The amount of atheist's on this forum is disgusting, I don't understand how SOL can give them a platform to spread their ideas.

I don't mind them, they all share a common characteristic; a dislike for qabiil and a serious interest in seeing a prosperous Somalia. I share those sentiments, it's a pity they lost their faith. However to me they are better than the tribalists calling for the deaths of other groups, while maintaining they are practicising Muslims.

If you're secure in your faith, their presence shouldn't bother you.

Chimera   

Blackflash;873989 wrote:
That's precisely why I used the Dinka as an example in my third question. They too were comprised of fierce warrior clans.

The Somalis were a seafaring nation with links on multiple continents, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis had city-states with individual armies, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis had the most seaborne cities and towns engaging in commerce and trade, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis developed large states with standing armies and imported the lastest gun-technology, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis constructed massive fortresses and castles, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis had prosperous walled cities capable of repulsing the Portuguese, unlike the Dinkas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Somalia

Blessed   

It's obvious that Blackflash was using his lack of believe to back up his arguement that Somalis don't practice honour killing. He doesn't believe in Islam, it would be 'shameless' if he pretended to. There's also no need to drag people's commentary elsewhere here, since you visit that forum too, you should have had your discussion there, instead of bringing it here for a public lynching of Bf.

Bf,

Your comments on slavery are completly off, there were black / xabash slaves in Arabia before the prophethood, Somalis were members of the first empire to embrace Islam, much longer than your 1000 years claim. Somalis were also, sadly very much part of the slave trade-- they along with many of of their black African counterparts, engaged in the trading.

Chimera;874004 wrote:
The Somalis were a seafaring nation with links on multiple continents, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis had city-states with individual armies, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis had the most seaborne cities and towns engaging in commerce and trade, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis developed large states with standing armies and imported the lastest gun-technology, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis constructed massive fortresses and castles, unlike the Dinkas.

The Somalis had prosperous walled cities capable of repulsing the Portuguese, unlike the Dinkas.

The majority of Somalis throughtout history have resided in the hinterland and were pastoralists like the Dinkas. The larger states and sultanates didn't start developing until the middle of the millenium. That said, I do think the existence of these city states prevented the enslavement of nomads to some extent. The only real counter example to my arguement would be the Maasai, as they've thwarted plenty of slave raids from coastal Swahili speakers (who just happen to be Muslim btw).

I think I'm being misunderstood here. I'm not linking the slave trade to Islam directly, just stating that Islam linked Somalis and other coastal Africans to their arab counterparts, and it was this relationship that was then used for the expansion of the slave trade.