Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Looking at the currect challenges in Somalia who should be elected?

Carafaat   

Somalia's political structure is based on the 4.5 clan system. Eventhough I disagree, the logic many belief and the system is based on is one of 'Somalia's conflict is clan based and thus its solution should be clan based'. The MP's have been selected based on clan and they will elect a Chair, President, PM and Minister based on clan.

Sheick Shariif was elected President 4 years ago, because Somali's were divided in they support for the TFG and the ICU. And one believed that someone coming from the ICU belonging to the **** clan could unite Somalis in they support for the goverment.

Now following this same logic, the question is:

1. What are the biggest challensges Somalia faces today?

2.Which regions are not controlled by the goverment yet?

2. And from which clan should the President and his PM come from, that can solve things based on the current challenges in Somalia?

Somalia   

I believe 4.5 is a crime against decency and morally unjust. I am echoing the words of Mr Faroole, president of Puntland. The biggest challenges today facing Somalia is the security challenge and unity.

And I believe the clan of the leaders are irrelevant as long as they adhere to some basic principles including Garowe Principles, the Road Map and the NSSP

4.5 is not the problem its just a way of powersharing the four major tribes sharing power nothing wrong with that

As for the minority tribes they were never interested in politics besided the four major tribes have some sort of alliances

So Its not one tribe having everything countries in the horn have unoffical four point 5.

In kenya if the president is kikuyo the prime minister is luo

In djbouti if the president is somali the prime minister is afar.

Even in iraq if the president is a kurd the prime minister is a shiate

So its not a problem every one in somalia is happy with the 4.5

As for what regions the govt controls right now the banadir region

Parts of shabeelada hoose and parts of shabeelada dhexe

Parts of bay and parts of bakool and parts of gedo and a few districts in the lower juba

Hiiraan and parts of galgaduud are allied to the tfg.

Puntland galmudug and aswj are allied to the tfg

Jacpher   

^I don't think PL has 4.5 system for choosing leadership. But I know Faroole spoke against 4.5 and so did many other Somalis.

Jacpher   

^I am sure clan plays a role on how power is shared among clans in Puntland or Somaliland or Gal Mudug or Ximan & Xeeb or Azania or any other Somali administration existed in the civilian or military rule before the civil war. Clan has been an integral part of Somalia. I don't understand how the current 4.5 formula could be equated to the power sharing along clan lines existed in Somali tradition.

NGONGE   

If Somalia should have a fair and proper election tomorrow, how far from the 4.5 breakdown will the results fall?

Somalia   

Apophis;858728 wrote:
I understand it may not be exactly a 4.5 system but I would assume executive power rotates between the clans or sub-clans.

No, it was not part of the law, it was partly to create stability but has already been abolished during this administration.