Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

SOL Movies Club II

Haha yeah I've seen "In Time"... I've always liked Andrew Niccol. Watched "S1mone" like a hundred times when I was younger, and to this day really dig "Lord of War" (Nic Cage gives one of his best performances in it). Niccol is a really good writer ("The Truman Show") and a decent director, but he really did woefully miscast Justin Timberlake in "In Time" :D And I guess that's not the end of his woes if the Twilight crowd doesn't show up for his upcoming film "The Host", based on the young adult novel by the same name by Stephenie Meyer. From writing "The Truman Show" to adapting a book by the Twilight author... :) But hey! Maybe it'll be great, who knows.

Chimera   

5;888426 wrote:
Haha yeah I've seen "In Time"... I've always liked Andrew Niccol. Watched "S1mone" like a hundred times when I was younger, and to this day really dig "Lord of War" (Nic Cage gives one of his best performances in it). Niccol is a really good writer ("The Truman Show") and a decent director, but he really did woefully miscast Justin Timberlake in "In Time"
:D
And I guess that's not the end of his woes if the Twilight crowd doesn't show up for his upcoming film "The Host", based on the young adult novel by the same name by Stephenie Meyer. From writing "The Truman Show" to adapting a book by the Twilight author...
:)
But hey! Maybe it'll be great, who knows.

Damn Truman Show was brilliant, but In Time had potential too, the concept is very intriguing. As for Twilight, check Buffy vs Edward on youtube, its hilarious!

Garnaqsi   

In Time -- isn't that the one where time replaces the utility of money? Awfully forgettable!

A really good film that was mentioned is Cosmopolis. It's really good. I like that type of films!

Chimera   

^I went through a Ghibli phase in 2010, my favourites by far are Castle in the Sky and Howl. As for Ninja scroll, what's with the Japanese and rape scenes? Same thing happens in Wicked City, which is a great movie, but you got to fast-forward that ish at certain parts.

I have yet to see anything topping this classic:

Akira_movie_poster.jpg

Apophis   

^^Studio Ghibli is truly magical. I used to dismiss anime until 2011 and then I saw Akira for the first time and I was blown away-naturally I had to watch everything else. For some reason, I enjoy animated films much more than "real" ones this days.

Lately I've been into French anime- I would say they're as good as the Japanese and more mysterious, for lack of a better word.

Here are two of my favourites:

Apophis   

Three films; three succint reviews:

Batman: some interesting scenes but generally let down by the hammy acting, the ridiculous twists and the nonsensical story line. 5/10

Total Recall: could have done without seeing this. Nothing in it made any sense and they took out the heart and the most interesting part of the original story i.e the Mars scenes. A total let down. 3/10

Looper: too many loopholes, not gory enough (a bit of blood always helps), trying too hard to be Inception but enjoyable when in a semi conscious state. 6/10.