Sign in to follow this  
Complicated

Prime ministers wife crying!!

What do you think can make a grown man and the wife of a prime minister cry inconsolably?

emine.jpg

burma_03.jpg

burma_20.jpg

burma_27.jpg

hsjdgda.jpg

r65tiu56.jpg

And the reason?

I don't want to post gruesome pictures but, here is one you can stomach:

562375_394733253897637_107995805_n.jpg

unfortunately Turkey seems to being the only muslim nation being troubled seeing their Rohinga brothers being slaughtered like sheeps.

history will remember Oglo & Ordegan as great men.

Abwaan   

Is this Burma? The so-called world will rush back and forth and western media will talk about this everyday when these people start defending themselves and other who are upset about this come to their support. Guess what, they will give the resistent group names such as terrorists and stuff. Why can't these Budhist terrorists stopped now?

Abwaan   

Ilaahay Turkey ha xafido...and give them more power to help all those needy muslims from around the world....Waa Ramadaan ma ahane Madaxda Carabta dhegaha ayaan ka raaci lahaa.:D

ElPunto   

Where's the link for this?

Good for them for highlighting this issue. But I always wonder about Turkey and it's refugee/immigration policy. It's a big country of 80 million that is doing well economically - but it restricts migration and has no refugee resettlement program. If you really care about the plight of these Rohingya Turkey - institute a refugee resettlement program and help these poor folks start a new life in your country. I don't think there is a single Muslim country that has such a program like Canada, USA, Australia etc.

ElPunto;856171 wrote:
If you really care about the plight of these Rohingya Turkey - institute a refugee resettlement program and help these poor folks start a new life in your country. .

then you are doing exactly what the Burmese authorities want which is getting rid of the Rhinga muslims, this needs a political settlement and the muslim league organisation which is the most toothless organisation in the world should talk tough to the burmese government.

ElPunto   

^No - the Rohingya who have been in camps in Bangladesh for decades should be resettled - at least some. What you are saying is equivalent to Canada saying I don't want to resettle Somalis from Dadaab because that will mean it empties out Somalia or that it doesn't resolve the situation in Somalia. You can do both - but people who are long term refugees who are unable to go back to their homelands should be resettled if one is a humanitarian or professes to be a Muslim.

ElPunto   

Even in Muslim majority Malaysia these ppl can't get decent humanitarian and/or Islamic treatment. Why are we surprised by the actions of the Burmese?

----

Rohingya Muslims want to call Malaysia home

_60877379_sharfiahleftandherbestschoolma

Sharifah binti Hussein is a bubbly 17-year-old who loves school.

Her classroom at the Harvest Centre in Kuala Lumpur is stuffy, even with the windows open and ceiling fans on full blast. Eighteen of her classmates are huddled around clusters of desks.

This may look like a regular class, but all the children are refugees, mainly from Burma. They are not allowed to attend government schools, access health care or even work when they graduate.

Their grim prospects make today's class lesson seem futile - learning Malay, the national language of Malaysia. Yet Sharifah counts this as her favourite subject.

"If I can, I would like to stay in this country forever, so it's important for me to learn Malay," she says in broken English.

Tough childhood

Sharifah's love for Malaysia comes in part from a tough childhood in Burma. Although she was born there, she has never been issued a birth certificate.

She is part of the stateless Rohingya Muslim minority. International rights groups describe their plight as one of the world's most enduring refugee crises.

The Burmese government says the Rohingyas are relatively recent migrants from what is now known as Bangladesh.

Recent unrest in Burma's Rakhine state has focused attention on the Rohingyas' situation.

Sharifah's father says he was harassed by the Buddhist military government and fled to Malaysia in 1994. The rest of the family tried to join him a few years later. It took two attempts before they could flee.

Sharifah herself travelled alone for a month.

"We would sleep in abandoned buildings," she says. "It was very scary at night. One night, we stayed in the city, one night in the jungle."

When she arrived in Malaysia her father could not even recognise her.

"When he left me, I was fat. I had lighter skin. I was beautiful. He said I was cute," she says. "But now I looked like a boy because my hair was short. I was dark-skinned. I was thin and my father didn't recognise me."

Reunited with her family, Sharifah said she felt free for the first time.

But life is not much easier in Malaysia. The country is not a signatory of the 1951 United Nations Convention on Refugees, so asylum seekers are treated like illegal migrants and are vulnerable to detention.

Despite this, Rohingya Muslims continue to arrive in Malaysia. They now make up the second largest refugee group in this Muslim-majority country, with 22,800 registering with the UN by the end of April.

Hard life

Sharifah had a tough time adjusting to Malaysia. She attended a regular school here, but no one wanted to talk to her because she was a refugee, she says.

"They accused me of coming to Malaysia to take away resources from them, taunting me for having darker skin," she says.

Her life improved after she switched to a school for refugees at the Harvest Centre. She now has friends, is earning top grades and dreams of working at the UN to help refugees.

"I pray to my god, my Allah, that I can stay in Malaysia forever," she says. "I don't want to go to other countries where it is not a Muslim place."

Her father, Hussein, 45, is not so optimistic, however. He struggles to feed his family. He lives in constant fear of the police. Although he holds a refugee card from the UN, it is not a legal document, so immigration officials can still detain him.

Hopes for change

International rights groups say arbitrary detentions of refugees and extortion by Malaysian immigration officials are common.

But a 2011 report by the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, noted that there have been "significant achievements" by the Malaysian government to reduce the number of arrests of refugees last year.

Still, Mr Hussein does not have an alternative. It has been 18 years since he arrived in Malaysia, but the UN has not been able to relocate them to another country.

The recent violence in Burma's Rakhine state makes it even more unlikely that they can return.

Clashes between Buddhists and Muslims have prompted the Burmese government to declare a state of emergency in the area.

Hundreds of Rohingya refugees showed up at the US embassy in Kuala Lumpur last Tuesday, calling for international intervention.

"We had hoped that opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi would change the situation in Burma," Zafar Ahmead Mohd Abdul Ghani, from the Myanmar Ethnic Rohingya Human Rights Organization Malaysia, said at the rally.

"But now, our hopes for her have been banished. We are very scared to go back home."

Meanwhile, Sharifah tries hard to fit in in Malaysia.

She now prefers to speak to her father in Malay rather than in the Rohingya language. She has adopted many Malaysian habits, ending her sentences with the word "lah", and wearing skinny jeans and colourful hijabs like young Malay teens.

However, she still feels unwelcome in the country.

Sharifah remains hopeful, though.

"I believe that Malaysia will recognise refugees," she says. "I don't know why in my heart I believe in this, but I do."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18421085

@ElPunto, the fact that no other Muslim country seeks to incorporate refugees is the very problem. If Turkey were the only country in the Islamic world to set up a refugee system, they would be flooded within years. The refugee systems in place in the western world all came about simultaneously as result of agreements made at the United Nations. Unless all Muslim countries approach each other on these sort of issues (high unlikely), not much will change.

Punto, caadi mee kaa tahay waxaan mise iska yeel yeel? How can you allow yourself to sanction ciribtirka isirnimo (ethnic cleansing) of these poor people?

How can you allow a million people ethnically cleaned from Myanmar? And isn't this what the regime in Myanmar wants. Even their Buddhist monks agree with this. This much-maligned community has every right to remain in Myanmar. It is their land.

I agree the policies of governments of Bangladesh and other Muslim countries. They should not resettle them, otherwise it would be indirectly sanctioning their uprooting from their ancestral lands.

ElPunto   

^MMA - I don't think you know what you're saying. There are about 300,000 Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh - most of them have been there for decades and have no wish to go back to their homeland. There are several tens of thousands of others in southeast Asia. But there remains 800,000 still in Myanmar.

If Muslim countries re-settle the long term refugees in Bangladesh or those in Southeast Asia - who at this point have no legal right to school or work and suffer from discrimination and harrasment - you're telling me no - we should leave these ppl in this horrible and hopeless situation - because doing better would mean more leave their country. This is really shabby logic. It's no different than saying Somali migrants or asylum seekers should be mistreated and denied rights wherever they go - because we don't want all of them leaving their country and depopulating it. As a refugee coming from a nation of refugees - it's appalling that you would espouse this view.

To be humanitarian or decent is not and cannot be something contigent on someone's elses actions. Everyone knows what the Islamically correct thing to do in this situation - and it doesn't mean that the international community doesn't press Myanmar to stop killng and cleansing these ppl from their legitimate homeland. But we don't control the Myanmar govt and its actions - we only control our own. So the Turkish govt should put up or shut.

@Blackflash - that is a myth. Most countries that resettle refugees have a definitive process. Longterm registered UNHCR refugees who have little chance of returning to their homelands are put forward by the UNHCR for resettlement and countries choose based on their criteria whom they want to resettle. Turkey could do the very same thing if it chooses while retaining control of its borders. Heck even Chile is doing it - http://www.irinnews.org/Report/77645/IRAQ-SYRIA-Some-40-stranded-Palestinian-refugees-resettled-in-Chile [/ur]