Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The Qurbajoog who pretends to be Diaspora

Abtigiis   

A real hilarious few days in Hargeisa. Our driver suddently shouted and asked me to look at a middle-aged man driving a Toyota pick-up which was parked next to where I was going for Iftaar.

“Caraaloow, look at that guy, the fat one with the big hair”, he shouted , at the same time touching my shoulders to ensure I see what he wanted me to see.

“Haa, I see him. What?” The Ramadan effect meant I have to be brief with my words.

“War waa mid riwaayad ah, oo Turufatoore weyn ah (the guy is a joke and a cheat). Isagoo Qurbajoog ah ayuu iska dhigaa inuu yahay Diaspora.” The driver said and let out a sarcastic laughter.

I have to admit, that woke me up and I was a bit confused.

“So, what is the difference between a ‘qurba-joo’ and a ‘diaspora’?” I asked, stressing the self-same nature of the two words.

“Ma aha. They are not the same. Qurbajoogtu are those who lived here and went abroad at some point in their life. Diaspora are those who are born across the oceans.” He said firmly.

The sheer ingenuity of the driver would only hit me after few days and I have digested why he came up with the wrong but clearly not-dumb catagorisation. It is one of these things you initially dismiss as foolish but on closer reflection; you sense it actually makes sense.

See, the guy has a point. Clearly Qurbajog means Diaspora. But there is a need for semantics when it comes to separating the 30 year old who went to Canada 6 years ago and returned to his home, and the Somali boy who was born in London, Dubai or Singapore and never lived in Somalia. You may say that word exists. The latter group are “A British of Somali extraction, or a Canadian of Somali origin” or whatever.

But then, the other guy who went there 6 years ago shares this definition so long as he is a citizen of those countries. So, we need a much more precise categorization to satisfy my drivers quest for a clear demarcation between those he perceives as genuine diaspora and those who see as fake ones. It bothers him and we should find a word.

Actually, I found the whole thought process on this matter funny and relevant. It seems the Qurba-joog Vs Qol-Qol-Joog clash of civillisations would soon be augmented by an Intra-Diaspora feud.

Blessed   

The later would be a British / American expatriat but wether they consider themselves that is another issue. I think people should be allowed to forge their own identities. I can see the distinction the guy is trying to make, but someone who was born or raised abroad can have a very strong sense of Somaliness due to their home environment. Either way, don't you stop being qurbojoog once you repatriated to your home country for good?

Abtigiis   

*Blessed;855518 wrote:
once you repatriated to your home country for good?

Apparently NOT! It is becoming a title for life, like "Ambassadoer" or "Major General" which once acquired, you die with it unless revoked by law. :D :D

Qurbajooge Abdi Olol,,,for instance. It will be a formal title soon.

Juxa   

it is bit unfair for those of us, that mentally never left home! ma ahan in title nalagu shabadeeyo

ps: mid iga soo horjeeda is eating hilib ceeriin ah (steak tartare?)

i dont know why i am telling Abtigiis, must be all his amxaaro sheekooyin

Juxa   

warkan full blown hilib ceeriin ah buu horteyda ku cunayaa with few cows on top (yuck) and then they call us uncivilised iyagoon karin iney hilibka iska kariyaan

Carafaat   

loool@Diaspora is mood.

Years ago when I went to Hargeysa for the first time, I told people I was 'dhaqandoon', not to be confused with dhaqancelis kids like Alpha who were forced to go back by their parents for some cultural re-integration.

Carafaat   

Apophis;855555 wrote:
You do not have to validate the prejudice the taxi driver shared with you by wasting mental effort on it. If anything you should have questioned and challenged what he was saying. Don't be impressed too easily brother.

You never went to the country, did you? hadal kagama badinisid dadkaas.

Abtigiis   

Apophis, you do not see the funny side of the distinction? It is alright.

Carafaat, speaking of Alpha, did you read my book titled "Unwelcome Blessing: Chronicles of Alpha's struggles in the month of Ramadan". it is a tale of a young man who thought he found his love after so many moons of searching,and was to meet his new-found lover in the last weeks of July. Unbeknown to him was that the month of Ramadan would start in the same week he hoped he will impress his lover with his good looks. Not used to hunger and thirst, his youthful body born and raised in the cold island of Albion soon started to give in to the harsh sun, nagging wind and dust of his homeland. Unable to postpone the first meeting with the lover, which is so crucial for both of them, after years of epistolary flirting, he vows not to damage her expectations of him. He still recalls the message he found on his twitter account the day the lover broke the news she is coming down to see him in person. "Can't wait to see your smooth ebony skin and soft face". It worries him that the false appearance of a hagard and dry face that is the result of unrelenting fasting could give the impression that he lied about his appearance. He does not wish to start this promising relationship with suspicions and wrong first impressions. But there is no escape. He could have angered his creator whom he knows he forgive him. He can fast some other time, and it is perfectly fine with the creator so long as the ledger in the sky shows that he has covered the 30 days he was expected to fast. That much he knows. But breaking fast in Hargeisa can put him in collusion with the law. The last thing he wants is his diaspora-frame draged by the neck in the sandy shrubs of Dooxa hargeisa by insensitive security personnel who enforce virtue and hunt mobile restuarants that offer food to those who find Ramadan harsh. At any rate, Alpha knows he will have to make a decision and soon. He will be in trouble with the law or with his lover. It is a stark choice.

It is a pulsating tale of love, mandatory privation, and defiance.

The 236 page book will be released late August at 'Final' Qat Saloon near 'Togdheer Diffidence' tea room.

Abtigiis   

I and few friends found it funny. Of course it is entirely expected others may not.

Juxa, kuwaad aragtay ma Ethiopian bay ahaayeen.

Abtigiis;855558 wrote:

Carafaat, speaking of Alpha, did you read my book titled
"Unwelcome Blessing: Chronicles of Alpha's struggles in the month of Ramadan".
it is a tale of a young man who thought he found his love after so many moons of searching,and was to meet his new-found lover in the last weeks of July. Unbeknown to him was that the month of Ramadan would start in the same week he hoped he will impress his lover with his good looks. Not used to hunger and thirst, his youthful body born and raised in the cold island of Albion soon started to give in to the harsh sun, nagging wind and dust of his homeland. Unable to postpone the first meeting with the lover, which is so crucial for both of them, after years of epistolary flirting, he vows not to damage her expectations of him. He still recalls the message he found on his twitter account the day the lover broke the news she is coming down to see him in person. "Can't wait to see your smooth ebony skin and soft face". It worries him that the false appearance of a hagard and dry face that is the result of unrelenting fasting could give the impression that he lied about his appearance. He does not wish to start this promising relationship with suspicions and wrong first impressions. But there is no escape. He could have angered his creator whom he knows he forgive him. He can fast some other time, and it is perfectly fine with the creator so long as the ledger in the sky shows that he has covered the 30 days he was expected to fast. That much he knows. But breaking fast in Hargeisa can put him in collusion with the law. The last thing he wants is his diaspora-frame draged by the neck in the sandy shrubs of Dooxa hargeisa by insensitive security personnel who enforce virtue and hunt mobile restuarants that offer food to those who find Ramadan harsh. At any rate, Alpha knows he will have to make a decision and soon. He will be in trouble with the law or with his lover. It is a stark choice.

It is a pulsating tale of love, mandatory privation, and defiance.

The 236 page book will be released late August at 'Final' Qat Saloon near 'Togdheer Diffidence' tea room.

LOL@AT... as my ghost writer...i'm here to advise on technical aspects.

how well you know me, my honourable friend.... i missed our meeting at De African Village having been spurred on by your heart-rending story. i visited my 'love' risking life and limb, knowing full well that i was one of most wanted on the ‘committees’ radar. so at around 9:30PM we met outside of DHL opposite the central Bank, a safe 'space' and a regular meeting point for diaspora kids from dibaada lol. i didn’t want to meet her where she requested because i was feeling nervous due to me looking like very diaspora and not so qurbo-joog.

so, we met! she looked stunning walahi, looking like a ripe pomegranate fruit like those mentioned in suraatul insaan. i swear i must be the luckiest man alive. i love her dearly and i suspect she has the deepest hots for me. so we walked downtown in a setting akin to time-square NYC with big massive video screens and what-have-you. i struggled with being seen with a woman in public and her walking suggestively close to me didnt help. being a big man in this society, its not good for my public shaaraf to be endulging in what may be seen as 'diaspora-type' behaviour. i suggested we do some shopping to calm my nerves. we did. she eyed up some fancy looking goods, i quickly silenced her advances into my pockets with a mean stern look lol.

finally after all that speculative shopping etc, I suggested that we grab a bite to eat since 'this is what couples do on dates do back 'home'' sarcastically, you see she's also from london. we went to the strategically located almis eatery being carefully not to stray into 'dangerous territories' beyond what my tribal DNA permits opposite dahabshiil bank HQ . i asked kindly if i could sit with my woman in the women section like in the movie goodfellas lol...and then were quickly taken to a especially designated area for couples....the store room would you believe!!!!

we sat and i tried to play footsie with her. her legs and feet perfectly pedicured resisting my 'safaan-ed up' almost native legs. i wore sandels to appear less diaspora and more 'local' but there was no mistaking that my sandels were not made in india, thailand or whereever reer somaliland buy their clothes etc. we enjoyed our drinks - two cocktails and a burger for her and a single vegetarian samosa for me lol. i quipped some lewd inappropriate lame joke about the salad cream ....her reaction was innocent and double entendre free.

then....a man came in and sat opposite our table. i said to her 'is this your maxram' lol. she laughed and proceeded to giving me a rather coy musing about the time her mother almost had her married off. i was aghast with shock nooh!

i suggested we leave and like a true loyal women she didn’t refuse or attempt to undermine nor play some 'power dynamic game'. then i quickly called raxo taxi company and took her home... i was suspicious that she might have had another date so took her home. we exchanged good night messages and now i'm writing my version of events all loved up listening to maxwell lol.

:D :D

How about qurbadhal?

Qurbadhal - Born and raised outside of Somalia

"Soomaali badan oo qurbadhal ah oo qaarkood ay yihiin dhallinyaro loo keenay Hargeisa arrimo la xiriira dhagan-celis ayaa ka cabanaya dhibaatooyin ay ka mid yihiin kaneeco iyo duqsi xilliga deyrta roobku da'o."

with all due respect LST your definition sounds a little sordid lol. you see the term diaspora in 'this' context is far more than a simple definitional issue. its implies a particular set of standards, values and number of years aboard. we cant be grouped with a 35 year old 'brit' who tahribbed a few years ago with a basic command and a rather strange nondescript-nasal-sounding english dressed in mid 1990s FUBU attire. that's just pathetic. he/she is different to 'us' like we are different to the 'local'. there have to be demarcations like AT suggested and more discussions around this particular and indeed lively issue.