Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Coping with the concept of death

the other day i attended my 4th funeral. it wasn't a pleasant experience and i must admit that it left a very sour and indeed gloomy ideas of life in my mind. i lost someone very special to me when i was very young and even though i've never felt the void, since you can't miss what you never had, like the disabled not been aware of what it means to have two normal arms or legs etc, laakin you always know the inevitability of death and that its never too far away and life's only certainty. towards the end of the funeral, one very wise man lol said 'mark your spot for indeed you could be next' to all present. i though that was very poignant and true. for the last two days, i've been researching death as experienced from different cultures and other worldviews and how the departed are mourned.

It’s rumoured in the coastal city of merka, the dead can heal the living by consuming their illnesses. in a pompous ceremony which lasts for approx. 21 days. 21 days symbolising the last two thirds of the month; men, women and child dredge themselves in blood from the sacrificial animal of peacock and chant strange verses in a Neolithic language. this is followed by 4 days of fasting to represent sacred values of 'iminkata'. 'iminkata' is the custom of self-sacrifice for their various deities.

I was recently told of this practice by a xamar cad-cad friend of mine. I listened very attentively and asked various questions relating to this practice. He informed me that their sect still exists and operates underground despite their diminishing numbers. The order of the ‘iminkata’ is very secretive and indeed played a vital role in curbing the claws of the US-listed terrorist group Al-Shaabab in that part of the Somali speaking world. He also informed me that their ancient language is now partially extinct and their leader and possibly the last speaker of this ancient language Olade Aweys Guri-Gote is 89 years old and frail. Shocked as I was, he informed that order now needed an expert cultural historian to help them understand their ancient scriptures to reincarnate Aweys into their chosen new ‘Olade’ or Prophet, and that l appeared in the vision of Aweys on the last day of ‘iminkata’.

Alpha Blondy;849072 wrote:
the other day i attended my 4th funeral. it wasn't a pleasant experience and i must admit that it left a very sour and indeed gloomy ideas of life in my mind. i lost someone very special to me when i was very young and even though i've never felt the void, since you can't miss what you never had, like the disabled not been aware of what it means to have two normal arms or legs etc, laakin you always know the inevitability death and that its never too far away and life's only certainty. towards the end of the funeral, one very wise man lol said 'mark your spot for indeed you could be next' to all present. i though that very poignant and true. for the last two days, i've been researching death as experience from different cultures and worldviews and how the departed are mourned.

Death is only problematic for the living. For me, death is similar to before I was concieved, nothingness.

The-freeman;849082 wrote:
Death is only problematic for the living. For me, death is similar to before I was concieved, nothingness.

very interesting idea. are you saying there is no life after death. can you please elaborate on this strange and i'm assuming pseudo-science induced idea of the 'gaal' atheist.

Alpha Blondy;849085 wrote:
very interesting idea. are you saying there is no life after death. can you please elaborate on this strange and i'm assuming pseudo-science induced idea of the 'gaal' atheist.

One can believe what ever gives them comfort however I must say Eastern religions (Hinduism, Buddhism) are closer to the truth than the Abrahamic ones. Their basic ideas of death and rebirth is scientifically plausible but only at the atomic level. Stars must die so others can be born out of their dust; For our solar system to exist, a star had to explode. Thus, the cosmic dance of death and rebirth.

Coofle   

The only thing we know 100% will happen to each one of us is "Death"..so don't sweat on it, Your day and the day of everyone you cherish and adore will come, it is a matter of time....

If old person dies or a sick person dies we usually anticipated their death and it is not a big deal...what actually hurts me is unexpected death, a month ago 3 students we where preparing for their graduation ceremony from medical school have lost their lives in a terrible car accident, that is disturbing,,,,Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on them, in the peak of their lives, and just finished 8 years long path to graduating as a medical doctor and then die that is textbook tragic and their families will have a hard time dealing with that..

on the other hand 69 years old man who was bed-ridden and sick for almost a decade, his family may show sorrow to please others but actually deep down the are feeling relieved from the agony they lived through..

The-freeman;849082 wrote:

to relate before birth to after death, and describe the state as nothingness, highlights The ignorance index of your deeply held belief about life and death. the statement above is an evident against your very basic claim. If you believe after life is a nothingness state, what proof can you come with?

How do you refute what you don't know?

cilmi iyo aragti hadeeysan jirin, jahliga ayaa jaah la modaa.

sharma-arke451;849141 wrote:
to relate before birth to after death, and describe the state as nothingness, highlights The ignorance index of your deeply held belief about life and death. the statement above is an evident against your very basic claim. If you believe after life is a nothingness state, what proof can you come with?

How do you refute what you don't know?

cilmi iyo aragti hadeeysan jirin, jahliga ayaa jaah la modaa.

You have critiqued my position but you've failed to offer your own. Let's see if it is more reasonable than mine.

N.O.R.F   

We cope knowing the dead will be judged on his/her deeds. I lost my uncle a couple of weeks ago. Illahay ha u naxaristo. Glad I managed to spend sometime with him recently.

wyre   

N.O.R.F;849372 wrote:
I lost my uncle a couple of weeks ago. Illahay ha u naxaristo. Glad I managed to spend sometime with him recently.

Allaha U Naxariisto Jannadina Allaha Ka Waraabiyo Brother Adna Samir Iyo Iimaan, Qof Walbo Wuu Dhiman, Ee Dambigeenna Allaha Dhaafo

RaMpAgE   

You should not be worried about death, because every soul will test death, rather you should be asking yourself have I done enough preparation if it comes or when it comes.

Aaliyyah   

^ Well said Rampage. Mashallah my thoughts exactly.

Alpha, death is the best reminder, so it is good that you are thinking about it. Insha-allah strive to better yourself and get close to our creator Allah swt..After all waa lakala horeeyaa uune meshaa uun lo socdaa.

Norf, alle ha u naxaristo your uncle. Sabar iyo imaan to you and your family.

AYOUB   

The-freeman;849090 wrote:
One can believe what ever gives them comfort however I must say Eastern religions (Hinduism, Buddhism) are closer to the truth than the Abrahamic ones. Their basic ideas of death and rebirth is scientifically plausible but only at the atomic level. Stars must die so others can be born out of their dust; For our solar system to exist, a star had to explode. Thus, the cosmic dance of death and rebirth.

Death is not a "chicken and egg situation" death is a "chicken balaq" situation. There's no omelette then on, even the Dalai Lama knows it.