Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Reviving somali names..

I just don't understand why those defending Islam always resort to insults...Please don't ruin the thread,if you wana keep your arabic names,FINE.

And somalis existed way before Islam,christianity etc...

Wadani   

Skeptic I agree that our longstanding Islamic heritage is a source of pride for us Somalis, and that names with religious significance are legitimate choices when naming children. But besides that I disagree with everything else in ur post. Please do more research on the origins of the Somali people and their relationship with Islam.

Selective reading much? Why is it that the Diinlaawayasha of SOL resort to insults and innuendo and when they are paid back in kind cry foul? Case in point – Garmaqaan asking a married lady to marry him, Faarax 22 jir ah – insulting girls.

It is worth noting that being Somali is synonymies with being a Muslim. The importance thing here is naming your child a name that has a good meaning and that you hope him/her to emulate.

Gheelle.T;838839 wrote:
Baar=Tip, Pointed end of something... Example Isha baarkeeda. Magacyada Somaliga ee Baar la socdo waxaa ka mid ah Baarleex(wiil) Baarliin(gabar); Baar+liin. Liintii fruit aheyd hadde maaha ee waa color (cream ama off white ah). Dadku Baarliin waxay ku khaldaan in tii Magaalada German ahayd tahay. Burahadeer iyo Coofle intaa maxaa ka sax ah?

Hebel waa Hal Barkeed nin jira, aan maqli jiray.

*Just re read the quote, Never heard that Liin was actually a color*.

What I don't understand is when I meet dozens of Somalis who feel the need to change their birth-name into something unrecognizable. For example, I know this one woman who calls herself "Bint Abu Umar" or some guy named "Bin Khalid" or something along the lines of this.

And when I address them by their birth names they insist on being called by their new names. I've heard of quite a few people living in places such as Saudi Arabia going along with these names, but this is something alien to me

Mario B   

^^ No, they haven't changed their names, what you're mentioning is Kunya.....example a mother who is called Saida but has a first child Hanni, would prefer to be called Umm Hanni instead, [Mother of Hanni]...for respect reason. Abu Bakar, means the father of Bakar. [ I actually don't know his first name]

Well technically when Omar ibn Khatab converted to islam he didn't change his name when Khaled Ibn waliid converted to islam he didn't change his name so these names are technically Arabic Names, But because these men were the Sahabaas of our beloved Prophet Muhammad csw its considered a Muslim name. There is nothing wrong with Pure Somali names its part of the Somali heritage my name is Xunjuf its an ancient Somali name and i am a devoted Muslim went to the Hadji several times allahu Akbar Walilahil Xamd.