Sign in to follow this  
Somali philosopher

Do Somalis need a dictator?

Somalis have forgotten what kala danbeyn means. every man wants to be the president, every state in somalia wants to be the most powerful. how is it that our neighbors with different peoples living together can accomplish this(dowlandnimo,kaladanbeyn and we can't. the first real democracy in somalia ended within 9 years while the dictatorship lasted for 2 decades. Somalis follow order only when they are afraid. in the west they follow the rules because there are consequences for otherwise. in somalia they don't because they have a safety net which we all know.

Somali philosopher;835750 wrote:
Somalis follow order only when they are afraid. in the west they follow the rules because there are consequences for otherwise. in somalia they don't because they have a safety net which we all know.

not true,how long were SL,PL peaceful and had their own gov'ts.The problem is down south first with warlords , then shabab and in that environment nothing could be accomplished ova there.Besides somalis as a by product of nomadism has always been free even during colonial times,fact is the most wretched & humiliating period in their history was the 21 yrs under Barre.They refuse anything like that to come back and that's why you seeing all these regional stuff.Rather be free than subjugated under somalinimo is their motto.

Ask your self what a poor centralized corrupt african gov't has accomplished since 1960...yes Mogadishu was transformed but none of the regions has anything to show for.Somaliland and puntland have done impressive strides be it universities,well equipped hospitals,24hr electricity and water,freedom of press and movement,availability of anything as long you can afford etc that a unified somali gov't neva achieved in 40yrs.

there's arabic proverb that says," a soldier fights with his belly" if hungry he can't fight.No one wants to go back to uncertainty and unified gov't that regions can out provide!

Somalis have seen it all and slogans don't work well with thm No matter how nationalistic some tend to project.

Somali philosopher;835750 wrote:
Somalis have forgotten what kala danbeyn means. every man wants to be the president, every state in somalia wants to be the most powerful. how is it that our neighbors with different peoples living together can accomplish this(dowlandnimo,kaladanbeyn and we can't. the first real democracy in somalia ended within 9 years while the dictatorship lasted for 2 decades. Somalis follow order only when they are afraid. in the west they follow the rules because there are consequences for otherwise. in somalia they don't because they have a safety net which we all know.

funny question, are you asking this because you saw the dictator movie. :D:D

Perhaps, may be, I don't know but what I know for a fact is that the Somalis don't know what they want.

This reminds me of Rumesfield quot: the known knowns and the unknown unknowns, the things we know that we know and things that we don't know...

Democratic elected leaders is much better its the best way forward but first we need to build the right institutional organs in the country. Somalis don't like to be told what to do. You will get a siad bare versus the clan jabhads scenario of yuu is mooday The first 9 years were not that bad from 1960 till 1969 there was corruption and some nepotism to some extent but we were moving forward. Modern Somali statehood was very new to us at that time we were experimenting. We have seen what a very centralized dictatorship does to nomadic Somali folks, lets try a decentralized unitary state with democratic credentials.

Raamsade   

You guys are confusing Strong State and Dictatorship. One of the great attractions of dictatorships or autocratic regimes is the illusion of efficiency and competence. It is true, to a certain extent, that dictatorships are more orderly, efficient and competent compared to their less autocratic counterparts but that masks an important fact. Dictators who are seen as more competent/efficient are often at the helm of a strong state. The key issue is the quality of the state the president/dictator/king presides over not the actual title of the leader. A strong state is one that can collect taxes, enforce its own laws, guarantee its own territorial integrity and the most important of all implement its own policies. Too often poor countries can not even implement their own policies because the state apparatus is too weak.

So the goal for Somalia should be to creat a powerful state that can outlive temporal leaders/governments and act as a vehicle for efficient, rationalized governance.

I don't really care much for politics or any of that stuff, but if you are going to rule over us poor people, atleast have little bit of class and style.

idi_amin_dada.jpg

Now who would dare go against this self.imposting KELIGIIS TALIYE. :)

Idi Amin was way ahead of his time as far as dictators go.....

Nin-Yaaban;836997 wrote:
I don't really care much for politics or any of that stuff, but if you are going to rule over us poor people, atleast have little bit of class and style.

idi_amin_dada.jpg

Now who would dare go against this self.imposting KELIGIIS TALIYE.
:)

Idi Amin was way ahead of his time as far as dictators go.....

His niece ayaan Nairobi ku wasay. I met her in a nightclub, that two Somalis that I know took me to, after we chewed and smoked some geed. Unfortunately I beat her raw.. Who knows she might have given birth to a small Faarax that will conquer central Africa one day.

Mario B   

Dr Baraxoow;878333 wrote:
His niece ayaan Nairobi ku wasay. I met her in a nightclub, that two Somalis that I know took me to, after we chewed and smoked some geed. Unfortunately I beat her raw.. Who knows she might have given birth to a small Faarax that will conquer central Africa one day.

yuck_imdone.gif