Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Green Treasures of Golis Mountains

Somalia   

I don't think bee keeping will be an industry in Somalia. :D In fact that whole mountain range should be protected by law.

Blessed   

^They still are protected areas.

Looks like paradise on earth. SubxanAllah.

Abwaan, go for it walaal, Illaahay ha kuu sahlo, cilmigaas waa loo baahanyahay. :)

What a beautiful scenery, and what a great country we have but what a dumb people we are, ilaahay sidan waa noo dhaami karaa.

BN   

AYOUB;826799 wrote:
^ Caalmadow is just part of Golis chain, isn't it?

Yes, brother, the wider Golis chain is across the North.

@Chimera, I'm sure it's centuries old at least. But the method in the photograph is more traditional; new cooperatives are being established and more modern practices are being implemented in local communities.

Also, for those who do not think this is an area of investment or commercial production I would visit this blog of a brother who returned from Sweden to Arabsiyo to beekeep (He's got a great blog at somalihoney.com - Getting into beekeeping in Somaliland). Our homelands have Sidr trees that help bees produce rare honey that is sold for $200 - $1000 per kilo. You can read more here: http://www.somalihoney.com/search?updated-max=2012-02-28T21:51:00%2B01:00&max-results=7&start=14&by-date=false and here: http://www.sidrhoney.net. Unfortunately, the market is not well known but hopefully that will change soon. The potential of the country is there for those who can see it!

The brother keeps his blog updated with lots of photos. Here are a few.

3.JPG

13.jpg

8.JPG