Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Somali Citizenship

Somalia   

It's an article, it can get amended when it is being reviewed, rejecting a whole constitution is irrational and dumbfounding. However it highlights the absurd logic of the average Somalia, who wants to immigrate to Somalia? I mean the world will look at this and start laughing, thinking "who the hell do you think you are?"

And they honestly should.

Che -Guevara;825863 wrote:
^I think the fear is being overwhelmed by the Mexicans to the west of us:D

*He says unknowlingly as 35 million Oromos and HIV & Alcohol carrying Amharas sneek in through the back door.*

ElPunto   

nuune;825718 wrote:
I would use the UAE model of citinzenship, very strict, call us racists or whatever, but UAE survived with that law regardless whether they are minority in their country or not.

Horrific, barbaric, unislamic system in the UAE and most of the Arab world. An Emirati woman can't give her children citizenship if married to a 'foreigner'. Waligeed Somalia saas yena noqon. I met an old reer waqooyi man there a few years ago who used to be a driver and general aide for the top Emiratis including members of the Royal Family and he was getting kicked out after 40 years and was scrambling to get himself an iqama with a Somali business. What a waste.

Ngonge going overboard with his repetitive obstinancy but I agree with him. The only thing is the Mexicans to the west could be a threat given the sparse population of Somalia - they're the only folks I worry about with regard to this.

Blessed   

^It's not ideal but how is it unislamic? You also need to understand the context in which they created their constitution, coming out of colonialism with oil wealth in the horizon. As they only make up 20% of the population in their own country, I can see why they feel the need to be protective of their identity. They also support their citizens in a way (expensive) that many other nations don't. It would be better if they did have a perminant residence system in place but to be honest, aprt from Somalis, most understand what they are getting themselves into and even set up schools that are linked with their home countries so that their children can go to universities in their own countris.

As for Somalia, I think we owe the world. Have to say that at the moment, being a Somali pp holder in the Somali regions doesn't give you a special status. Anyone can go and set up office, no need for visas etc. What incetive would I have to get a Somali passport when my British PP holder status doesn't put any limitations on me?

nuune   

ElPunto;826728 wrote:
Horrific, barbaric, unislamic system in the UAE and most of the Arab world. An Emirati woman can't give her children citizenship if married to a 'foreigner'. Waligeed Somalia saas yena noqon. I met an old reer waqooyi man there a few years ago who used to be a driver and general aide for the top Emiratis including members of the Royal Family and he was getting kicked out after 40 years and was scrambling to get himself an iqama with a Somali business. What a waste.

Choice, it is their choice, and can do whatever they want to their citizenship, but sayin unislamic is like saying such verse in the Quran prohibits their refusal of allowing citizenship.

Sxb, they are the victim of their own country, you don't expect to allow similar rules of citizenship that exist in the West where they give you passports in 5 years of residence(their motives of allowing foreigners to become citizens after 5 years is another subject), that motives doesn't exist in the UAE, marka kala saar and easy with the barbarism .

Ps: An Emirate woman can indeed give her children UAE citizen if the father fulfills all the requirements, research yar would have bein better niyahow, sxb.

Samafal   

Ten years would be ideal but 5 years is very short a time to brain wash a young Amhaar. Anigu waxaan dhihi lahaa clause ha lgu daro dhahaysa every one else welcome but no Dethopians.

NGONGE   

ElPunto;826728 wrote:

Ngonge going overboard with his repetitive obstinancy but I agree with him. The only thing is the Mexicans to the west could be a threat given the sparse population of Somalia - they're the only folks I worry about with regard to this.

Like I said, the UAE did not have to go through a war where its people were scattered all over the world and had their eyes opened. They are beduins that are as xenophobic as any Somali here. With our people on the other hand, and more so those living outside Somalia, some lessons should have been learnt. To make a big fuss over this clause makes you a xenophobe (nothing "overboard" about this fact, saaxib).

ElPunto   

^I think some folks wanted clarification on the clause rather than going for a big fuss. But you wouldn't give them a word in edgewise. :D

The whole residency process (Kafala) is unislamic - in that it isn't fair or just and it is abusive. One the person is essentially bound to their employer who frequently confiscates their passport and if they are fired they must exit the country regardless of their situation. This system is open to and is abused a lot - a simple internet search would show this. Luckily for Nuune - I haven't kept up with the ins and outs of Emirati citizenship laws but granting citizenship to children of female Emiratis was a very recent development - November 2011 decree here:

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/children-of-emirati-mothers-expatriate-fathers-offered-citizenship

And the UAE is the only gulf state to do this. In what version of Islam is denying a female citizen's children citizenship justified for those other countries? As to the whole minority issue - people can and do become great naturalized citizens many times outdoing the natives in their contribution to their adopted homeland. If an Egytian who speaks the Arabic language, knows the culture, is a Muslim emigrates to the UAE- why if they're successful should an Emirati fear granting him or her citizenship. What threat would this person pose? It's all about keeping the privileges of citizenship to a small native population and rank xenophobia. Of course it's their choice Nuune - but that's not saying anything - as if their choice is neutral and harmless to a would be immigrant.

Blessed - residents build their own schools because the government won't fund them and the government has only a desire to use their labour for the short term and then dispensing with them afterwards. It's not a choice to build their own schools - they have to since sooner or later they're going back 'home'.

SHEEKH AXMED DHICISOOW: "Maalinta Jimcaha ah waxaa dhacaya Mudaaharaad looga soo horjeedo dastuurka cusub"

Arbaco, May 09, 2012 (HOL) — Guddoomiyaha majmaca culummada Soomaaliyeed, Sheekh Axmed Dhicisoow ayaa sheegay in maalinta Jimcaha ah ee soo socota uu Muqdisho ka dhici doono dibabax looga soo horjeedo dastuurka cusub ee Somalia oo uu muran badan ka taagan yahay.

Sheekh Dhicisoow ayaa sheegay in dastuurkan uu yahay mid uga daran shirkii Baarliin ee lagu qaybiyay Soomaaliya, isagoo xusay in qodobbadiisa ay ka mid yihiin kuwo lagu doonayo in Soomaaliya loogu qaybiyo boqol qaybood.

"Maalinta Jimcaha ah waxaa dhacaya mudaaharaad ay ka qaybgalayaan hal milyan oo qof oo looga soo horjeedo dastuurka cusub ee Soomaaliya, waxaana qabnaa haddii sidan lagu ansixiyo inuu khatar weyn ku yahay dalka iyo dadka," ayuu yiri Sheekh Dhicisoow.

Guddoomiyaha Majmaca Culummada Soomaaliyeed ayaa hadalkiisa ku daray inay mudaaharaadkooda Dowladda kaga codsanayo adduunka ku ogeysiinayaan waxa ay doonayaan.

Ma ahan markii ugu horreysay oo ay hay'adaha culummada Soomaalida ay kasoo horjeestaan dastuurka cusub ee Soomaaliya oo ay ku tilmaameen mid ay ku jiraan qodobbo badan oo ka horimaanaya diinta Islaamka.

Lama oga sida uu ku qabsoomi karo dibadbaxa ay culummadu sheegeen inay uga soo horjeedaan dastuurka, iyadoo xukuumadda KMG ah ay toddobaadkii hore soo saartay digniin ku saabsan inaan la qaban karin shirar iyo dibadbaxyo aan lagu soo wargelin.

Maxamed Xaaji Xuseen, Hiiraan Online

maxuseen@hiiraan.com

Muqdisho, Soomaaliya