Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

MARC SMITH****The Threat of Islamisation in Somalia*** VIDEO EXCLUSIVE

Fabregas   

marc, this video was about the Islamic Courts and what type of system you would like for Somalia, right? You would like a democratic, secular Somalia that is still bound by the Islamic ideals and culture of the people? But not one of millitant secularism like we had from the 1960s which attacks the tenants of the Islamic religion?

But I didn't catch anything or an explanation about the "threat of Islamisation" in Somalia in your video, maybe I missed something?

winnie   

1) i dont think outsiders should have a say as to what shld happen in somalia or any other foreign country. its all hypothesis and wishful thinking. no change will occur without the people, and they have a stronger say as to what kind of change and how it should happen. that goes for us living in ajnabi land. now im going to completely ignore this first point by expanding on some other thoughts.

2) there is no islamisation of somalia, somalia is muslim.

3)islam is not political, shariah is not political. its purpose is to establish and protect the rights of the people, whether muslim or non muslim. this is something muslims are failing worldwide whenever they say they are trying to establish an islamic state. furthermore, though i do not believe that islam should be reformed, i do believe more dialogue is necessary and so is basic education on our deen especialy concerning the rights of women, prisoners of war, and non muslims.

i have concerns about alot of things that you mentioned, but id like to say that islam, the way it was practiced during the prophets time pbuh, is very "progressive" concerning human rights and very compatible with many supposedly western ideals. i think muslims are going through an identiy crisis at the moment. we feel the need to assert ourselves in the most unhealthy manners from one extreme (abusing the deen) to another (abusing all others). we need to be confident enough to say that there are good aspects in non-muslim societies and not to be afraid to incorporate them (so long as it is halal of course), without necessarily hijacking it (saying, muslims were the first to blah blah bla). we also need to create an environment where muslims and people in general can ask questions about the religion without feeling like they are apostacizing for it or like they are being disrespectful.

shariah is getting a bad name because it has failed to do its main task: protecting the rights of the citizens whether muslim or non muslim.

those rights are 1) religion. protecting islam, but also the right to choose and practice your religion.

2) life, all life whether male, female, muslim or non muslim

3)intellect (meaning no 1984 thought police, or denial of education for whatever reason.)

4) lineage (thats where marriage comes in)

5)wealth

it seems we protect our religion, alhamdulillah, but everything else seems to go out the window.

NGONGE   

I think he's claiming poetic licence for his sensational thread titles. :D

I have now watched three of his videos and though they reveal nothing that I or any other average Somali didn't already know, the originality of the idea of airing your views online has to be applauded. Maybe with time and practice the depth contained in such clips may improve.

Ps

Marc, this is a different communication medium to that of YouTube! It is a discussion forum, and unless you're willing to discuss the ideas, opinions and views you're putting in those clips, somebody might mistake your threads on here as mere advertising. ;)

GJ_Goate - I completely agree with you, that exactly the type of Islam that somalia needs. A islamic based state, which has infused Political islam and democracy. This will not only make somalia more progressive but also economical and socially developed.

As for the title- you need catchy title in order to lure people in, so i hope that explains my points.

thugged out but cant feel my feet - Again I agree with you. the muslim wordd is in disaray and this is largely the result of embracing a western form of democracy, which doesnt consider islam as the focal and central point of goverance.

Additionally, we need to improve the image of islam as a peaceful and prosperous faith, this isnt helped by seeing a mob weilding machetes and holding insulting plackards. we as muslim have a duty to educate people about islam and this is the only forward. Moreover while Shariah law should be implemented across all muslim countries, the reality suggests otherwise. So-called muslim government are corrupt and often embrace democracy as a way of subjegating the true values of islam. thanks

NGONGE- finally, i am glad you raised the issue of the topics i discuss as being nothing new or intellectually changing . I agree!, the average person is hardly academic, so i make it my intention to appeal to the masses and not the elite. additionally i also make it my intention to educate somalis and non-somalis about the issues facing somalis in a simple minded manner.

i appreciate your comments and will seek to improve the depth of their contents

Salam and thanks