Sign in to follow this  
GaroweGal

Somali women escape to the gym

Aaliyyah;821911 wrote:
^ lol@ cesan yaroo mina shakirin ah intas haday leedhaay sentaan ka goyn ..what kind of somali baad ku hadli? wa yaab

salaam

Lmao, i was thinking the EXACT same thing... Nuune dear, you've lost me.

DO explain please :D

Chimera   

*Blessed;821916 wrote:
Chimera, I say it is, even when the security context is understood but we can agree to disagree. Also, the potrayal oof the status of Muslim women and Muslim societies has little to do with political stability, I'm often asked the weirdest questions about live in the UAE, but I wasn't arguing that. Wadani said that our women are strong and I agreed, saying that it was down to the strength of our grandmothers not women lib as some would argue these days. I've had my views dismissed as being influenced by western feminism in this very board on numerous occasions, for example.

Let's agree to disagree. I do think that if major Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia weren't so draconian towards their female population, there would be very little these journalists could sensationalize about. In our case, the 'helpless Somali woman' only started post 1991, when the rights of the average citizen significantly eroded and a diaspora was created, before that the statue of Xawo Tako - the only female honoured with a statue in Africa at the time - was a vivid reminder to all foreign vistors of the strength and involvement of women in Somalia's society and history. Today the likes of Al-Shabaab aren't doing us any favours either, but even then you still have the likes of Dr Hawa Abdi.

Same with the Taliban, just look at Afghanistan in the 50s/60s:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/05/27/once_upon_a_time_in_afghanistan#14

Chimera   

nuune;821910 wrote:
Most men here ignored your comment, and all those ignored are as you described them unless they come forward and object!.

I object !

I have been going to the gym since I was 18, now I'm 25! Four of those training years I spend skinny, until I understood the complexity of my mind and the connection it has with my body and muscles. Since then I have been mistaken for Arnold Swahsbchnegger a couple of times.

wyre   

nuune;821910 wrote:
Most men here ignored your comment, and all those ignored are as you described them unless they come forward and object!

I am Naturally body built, And I 'm not in need with Gym :)

Taleexi, How is that aflagaado? It's time we shed some light on pregnant Farahs with chicken legs. This description only applies to Somali men in the West as opposed to those back at home in Somalia.

I agree with Chimera, the concept of 'the poor oppressed muslim women' as seen by the west comes from the treatment of women in the Middle East. A place where Muslim women are oppressed and abused frequently, however Somali women are the most liberated women in the Muslim world.

I have friends that are Arabs, Afghans etc and even though these women are now living in the West, yet they are still oppressed. This is largely because of their cultural background rather than their Islamic faith. The majority of them are not educated in their religion and therefore are not aware of the many rights that are granted to them by our religion. But to pretend that Muslim women are constantly attacked by the media without a valid reason is erroneous becuase many of the so called Islamic c0untries oppress their women.

How do you expect the west to react to a 14 year old married off to a 30 year old especially one born in the west? How do you expect them to react to honour killing that is carried out in the name of Islam? For God sake 60% of first generation Pakistanis living in the UK are married to their first cousins from back home what is this telling you?

Blessed   

Chimera,

I think we're saying the same thing about Somali women. As for Saudi it's 1 nation out of 50 Muslim countries which have cultures from every corner of the globe. I've lived in Saudi and it's neighbouring countries and the contrast is outstanding, lazy journalists don't bother to even check the basic facts, it gets on my last nerves. They do the same when telling the African story, Africa is precieved to be a poor continent living off handouts, yet 6 of the worlds fastest growing economies are in Africa. I do agree that it's upto us to change the narrative and I appreaciate all the positive that work you do, walaalo. :)