Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

2012 SOMALILAND CONFERENCE -Get Ready!

Hustler   

We are paying a family pass for $250, I think that is the best route to go if you want to save money. I cant wait last one that sopri did in virginia was crazy and I heard this one is even going to be bigger

STOIC;807078 wrote:
Xiin, i live nearby so I'll not miss it (If only i can drag along she-who-mus-be-obeyed)..You are more than welcome to join us...You will probably be bored with the special place and veneration we will accord with SL..I'll probably be giving my time and effort for the first time....

Were you there last weekend?

STOIC;832266 wrote:
I promised to update this page after I attend the conference on May 18 in Washington DC. So to keep the promise i decided to write about my take of the conference. Many Somalilanders were bustling around the northern VA area this weekend. It was great to see many faces I have only seen on youtube clips. The likes of David Shinn, Somaliland foreign affairs minister Dr. Mohamed Omar,the iron-lady of Somaliland Edna Adan and Faisal Ali Warabe (I'll talk about Feisal and the lunch I had with him later) The highlight of my day was a funny historical speech delivered by Former undersecretary general of united nations Abdirahmi Abbey Farah.There was an entertainment party at night hosted by Nur Dalaac and Nimco Yasin.My favorite song was Somaliland allow dhowr by Nuur Dalaac.

The conference was well organized. A rigorous and at times very moving speeches were delivered by the guest speakers, some were funny, other boring and some downright informative. The conference was not degenerated into numbing litanies of past history. The organization of such conference reflects the realities Somaliland people. It provided a principle of organization and motivations. There were many things that could have been changed by the conference organizers, but I will leave the complains to others. There were a sustained body of scholars, who were present making a persuasive argument for Somaliland secession. Having listened to their presentations Somaliland now banks on a pedigree of college professors to put the words out about their aspirations (a good move if you ask). Many of the guest professors advised Somaliland to join the World trade organization (an organization I suspect doesn't need a country to be a recognized to be a member). I believe Soon or later Somaliland will be freed from force-feeding the rest of the world their aspirations down the narrow throats.

Let me say first i was honored to have lunch with Feisal Ali warabe.Somalis say "Garashaa horteet haainaciin" I must profess ( disclaimer: I share same sub-clan with Feisal) I was never his big fan .But after getting to talk to the man I realized he was simply not a man who derived prestige from the pips on his shoulders. He has recently emerged as one of the most defiant opponent of the current government leadership. He was simply a unrivalled politician who kept the government in check. He was honest in both his public and private speeches. He was straight forward with his words. A rationalist who believed in the Somaliland unfinished journey! He maybe the most tenacious and unsparing when it comes to Somalia and Somaliland issue, but at least the man is honest and says what he believes.

Ahh, I never seen this post. Have you met up with I.Gaas kid from Jersey?

STOIC;807100 wrote:
^All the US based Sol members should attend..A good place to engage in discussion and deliberations from experts, and persons whose judgement we may trust.I think they need our support and effort.I will recruit more family members and friends to attend.

Do you know if we are having one again?

STOIC   

Africaown, I haven't heard anything yet.If I do hear stuff will keep you on the loop..I will be out of the country around that time.I hope to catch one in Nairobi if they celebrate MAy 18th there...