Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

New BBC Documentary on Indian Ocean by Simon Reeve in 2012

simonreeve.jpg?file=media%2Fcontent%2F_m

wow.jpg

I like Simon Reeve, ever since his documentary on places that don’t exists he’s continued to be a trailblazer in providing us with interesting TV. In his new documentary to air in 2012, (Indian Ocean) they have just finished filming in January so I expect it to start airing sometime in spring maybe. He returns to Mogadishu to describe whats been happening. It sounds like the usual narrative around piracy, deprivation and danger. However I was hoping for a more nuanced approach away from the now tired cliched narrative surrounding this ancient city. The story of the survivors, thriving businesses, positive aspects of Somali culture that have helped to maintain a semblance of dignity for these people. In short the untold stories. I can’t fully judge yet but I fear its going to be more of the same most dangerous city in the world mantra which has now become banal. Either way we shall see.

Some interesting quotes from a recent interview;

“He even admits it’s “perverse“ but says the country he’d most like to return to is Mogadishu, the epicentre of piracy in the Indian Ocean.”

“They initially went to sea because people were illegally fishing in their waters. But now it’s a massive business, – they’re torturing and killing people and holding hundreds of people hostage now. It’s an awful situation.“ The force field, though, can’t shield Reeve from the scenes of deprivation and suffering – he insists the faces of some he’s met along his travels have stayed with him.”

“I’ve had people thrusting babies in my arms, telling me to take it and give it a better life. That makes me well up even thinking about it now. It’s not something you can get over.”

I’ve heard of countless Somali filmmakers who are yet to tell the human side to a story told often through the eyes of the international media.

A six part mini series on the Indian Ocean and its countries. From south Africa to Asia and on the way he visits Mog. He's a nice guy and I've got a lot of time for Simon, but almost all journos fall into the same trap when reporting Somalia. I've yet to see one decent programme that attempts to highlight culture, history and there's much more to Somalia than Mog and war.

Its the job of Somali filmmakers to maybe present this other Somalia, but they are also busy jumping on the terrorism and piracy bandwagon too.

Its finally here, for those who don't have access to BBC iPlayer below is the first episode. I'll update this thread. For those in the UK use the following link :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00pqbfj/Indian_Ocean_with_Simon_Reeve_South_Africa_to_Zanz ibar/

I recommend HD in iPlayer.

Episode 2 will feature battle against piracy and episode 3 he visits Somalia and the Mog to be specific. Should make for good viewing.

Your welcome guys. The new one that aired last week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01h7mjp/Indian_Ocean_with_Simon_Reeve_Madagascar_to_the_Seychelles/

next week is Kenya to Somaliland via Mogadishu

3/6. The third leg of the adventurer's journey takes him from the south of Kenya to the Horn of Africa. Along the way he joins a Ugandan peace-keeping force in Mogadishu, the capital of war-torn Somalia, which turns out to be the most dangerous leg of his journey as he ends up under fire on the front line. In contrast, he finds neighbouring Somaliland a stable and democratic home to thousands of Somalis fleeing fighting and famine. In Kenya's Tana Delta, he meets villagers facing eviction from an area that the government is turning over to sugar cane production for bio-fuels.

Episode 2 Madagascar to the Seychelles

By the way episode 3 is on Kenya Somalia and Somaliland. It airs tonight at 20:00hrs GMT on BBC 2 and BBC HD, I'll post next week for those not in the UK.

yeah its not necessarily intended for the discerning viewer. For what it is its ok, a bit different from whats out there on telly at the moment. It seems journalists don't get tired of reporting in a cliched narrative or style.

Showqi   

inyar oo xawaash ah ayuu ku darayaa si uu sheekada u macaaneeyo, never the less a great documentaries. Thanks Archdemos and please don't forget to post the third episode that is talking about Kenya, Somalia and Somaliland.

peasant   

Archedemos mahadsanid sxb. I love some of the stuff on the BBC iplayer but god damn thing is too smart and wont let anybody outside uk watch it's contents. I used to use proxies but it is pain.