Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Great girls names

Blessed   

ElPunto,

Familiarity, perhaps. It boils down to prefrence end of the day, I'd happily carry an Arabic, Asian or African but a Western name, I'd never consider.

So Chuba, did walaalo have the baby? InshaAllah, safe delivery for her and the baby. In my family, we like double barrelled names, so maybe you can consider combining two of your favourites. Btw, I've been looking for a second name that would go easily with my second child's first for ages, changing my mind constantly and then recently she heard one of my favourit Somali names and started saying, my names is Haboon, so that has settled it. Hahaha. So, if walaalo can't decide, tell her to consider waiting till bub is three and let her name herself.. LOL

ElPunto   

Blessed - true about familiarity but then that gets established over time and requires early adopters. To me superflous Arabic names are the equal of superflous western names. I doubt anything not Arabic/Somali will go down well in the community - we're pretty hard on those who don't tow the line.

African girl names:

Abeje

Abeni

Abiba

Adamma

Addo

Adebola

Adeniyi

Adeola

Adhiambo

Adjoa

Afia

Aiyana

Akia

Akosua

Alake

Amandla

http://www.babynames.com/african-baby-names.php?gender=F

ElPunto;803314 wrote:
Not sure why we must go with Arabic names if we don't go for Somali ones (minus those associated with Islam). You hear of someone called Axlaam - why not Chloe - it has about as much relevance as the former and easier to pronounce in the west.

cmicsfee.gif

I couldn't agree more ElPunto. I'm the last born in my family and everyone has an Arab name. I'm the only one with an ORIGINAL Somali name and I love it. Inshallah if i ever have kids they're going to be called either Waaberi , rageh (obviously dependent on circumstance). Guled, Liban, Ayanle, Robleh and so on. For girls names like, Habon, Ruun Filsan, Deeqa, Waris or i could torture her by calling her Xalwo or Ibado :)