Sign in to follow this  
Maaddeey

Mohamed Wardi dies at 80

Maaddeey   

Wardi-cbd70.jpg

February 19, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – Tens of thousands of Sudanese citizens, including President Omer Al-Bashir attended the burial ceremony of iconic singer Mohamed Wardi who passed away on Saturday night after a long struggle with kidney complications.

Thousands of Sudanese mourners attended the burial of the country’s lead singer Mohamed Wardi on Sunday, 19 February 2012 (Al-Shorog TV)

Sudan’s lead singer died at the age of 83 in a Khartoum hospital, as announced by Sudan’s official news agency SUNA in a somber statement on Saturday.

He was buried on Sunday at Al-Farouq cemetery in Khartoum where tens of thousands of peoples, including President Al-Bashir, gathered to pay respects.

Wardi left Sudan into self-imposed exile after Al-Bashir seized power in a military coup in 1989. He returned in 2002 to a popular reception and vowed to oppose dictatorship.

Wardi_new-db399.jpg

Iconic singer Mohamed Wardi died at 83 on 11 February 2012 (AFP)

“I am a human being, and every human being is against dictatorship and I will continue to denounce it,” he said in an interview with AFP in June 2002.

Wardi left a legacy of patriotic songs about freedom and revolutions. He sang in Arabic as well as in his Nubian dialect

(ST)

Showqi   

Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un, illaahay ha u naxariisto marxuumka.

My parents use to love him. I grew up with his music. Even now every time I hear his music I think about my parents and the good old days.

Aaliyyah   

I don't believe I ever heard of him. Ilaahay ha u naxaristo eheladisana sabir iyo imaan, danbigisana haka masaxo. Janana haka waraabiyo.