Sign in to follow this  
BOB

Footballers and Ramadan.

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

How many muslim footballers do you know that actually play while fasting?

I could be wrong but it seems only Kolo Toure and Anelka come to mind...yesterday Van Persie (He's said to be a Muslim) was drinking energy drink after the game...Yakubu Ayegbeni was happily chewing his gum...Abdulaye Faye like wise and I'm not sure but according to their names Abu Diaby and Bacary Sagna have muslim names and I've seen them taking drinks during and after the game...all these players were playing yesterday...fair enough...Yakubu and Abdulaye Faye's game kicked off at 3pm...

Cousin of mine tells me you guys in UK break your fast at 3pm and some games are played before 3 and some after so...the question is how many Muslim footballers do you know that Fast while playing?

a while ago I've read Kolo Toure's interview where he was saying he doesn't fast if he's going to play a big game but he seemed to have been fasting when we played against Spurs ( again I could be wrong)....so I would appreciate if you guys would shed a light on this issue... Thanks In Advance.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Ms DD   

Mido Survives Ramadan in Premiership, Ignores Racists

Fri, 28 Sep 2007 - 04:34

Mido enjoys life at Boro

By: Amro Hassan from London

Egypt striker Ahmed Hossam "Mido" is one of Premiership's several Muslim players, who face an additional task during the fasting month of Ramadan.

Muslims abstain from food and drink from sunrise to sunset for the whole month.

Some players admit they never fast because it would be too difficult for them to fulfil their professional duties in a physical competition like the Premiership while fasting.

Middlesbrough's new star has been plying his trade in Europe since 2000, but he insists that living abroad never changed his Ramadan religious customs.

"I've never had any problems with Ramadan. It's not as difficult as people here in England think, after the first few days your body adapts," Mido told The Guardian.

All Premiership clubs including Middlesbrough deploy a daily double training-session system with both sessions held before 4 pm.

Fast-breaking time in Britain during this year's Ramadan varies between 7:30 pm and 6:30 pm throughout the whole month.

"I try my best and it's never a problem fasting during training days. However, I don't do it on the day of games."

http://sports.filbalad.com/English/News.asp?NewsID=36221

Ms DD   

29/09/2007 09:01:00 PM GMT

BARCELONA Muslim stars in giant teams at the Spanish League (La Liga) are the talk of the city, but this time not because of their breathtaking per (more)

BARCELONA — Muslim stars in giant teams at the Spanish League (La Liga) are the talk of the city, but this time not because of their breathtaking performance but rather their religion. Spanish dailies have for days been splashing headlines about the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Spanish courts.

FC Barcelona's fans are wondering if their favorite players Yaya Toure, Eric Abidal and Lilian Thuram are fasting or not.

The Muslim footballers are in a real dilemma after the team's doctors ruled out in press statements allowing the trio to fast during match days.

During Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain during daylight hours from food, drink, smoking and sex.

After moving from France's Monaco for 10 million euros, talented midfielder Toure made it clear that practicing Islam, including fasting, does not affect his successful soccer career.

He was named by Eurosport in 2005 as one of the most promising young players in the world.

Compatriot defenders Abidal and Thuram are also playing for the 2006-07 runner-up and a twice winner of the UEFA Champions League.

Abidal, a former Lyon player who signed last season a four-year contract for FC Barcelona for 15 million euros, is known for being an observant Muslim.

He has been photographed many times carrying a copy of the Noble Qur'an at his training kits.

No Contradiction

The league's last season winner Real Madrid was adamant to let its Muslim midfielder and the backbone of the royal team Mammadou Diarra fast during Ramadan.

But both sides have finally reached an agreement preventing Diarra from fasting only in match days.

Frederick Kanoute, the striker of Seville FC, the 2006-07 league's third and the holder of last season's cup championship, has ridiculed suggestions that fasting might affect his performance.

"Those who know Islam understand that fasting empowers and does not weaken the Muslim."

Kanoute proved his point last season after being crowned the league's top scorer with 20 goals, outperforming football legends such as Brazilian Ronaldinho.

This has convinced his club not to pressure him on his religious beliefs, according to the ABC daily.

Kanoute, a practicing Muslim who regularly performs his prayers even in the locker room, refused last season to wear a jersey advertising for an inte gambling site, because gambling is forbidden in Islam.

His team had to give him a brand-free jersey until he accepted wearing the sponsored jersey in return for money to an Islamic charity

http://www.islamonline.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=41277

Ms DD   

Nathan's fast show

Ann Gripper 06/10/2007

Aidy Boothroyd is looking forward to a feast of goals from Nathan Ellington - just as soon as his new striker has finished fasting for Ramadan.

The Islamic festival, when Muslims do not eat or drink during daylight hours, began on September 13 and does not end until next Thursday.

In that time Watford have moved to the top of the Championship and Ellington has scored his debut goal following his club record £3.25million move from West Brom.

But the man known as The Duke did not get on the pitch in Tuesday's win over Sheffield Wednesday, and only appeared as a substitute in the previous two draws.

And Hornets boss Boothroyd cannot wait to unleash him at full strength.

He said: "When you can't eat or drink in daylight hours, if you're a professional footballer it's going to give you a problem.

"When I signed him he told me all about it. I'm interested, I like to know about my players and what they do and their faith and everything else.

"Their faith doesn't give me a problem - if they were going down the betting shop then that would probably be a problem.

"He explained it to me and I said, 'Well, that's going to be a problem for you.' He said 'It's not because Nicolas Anelka is a Muslim and he doesn't eat and drink'.

"I said 'Well that's great, but he doesn't have to run the channels like you.' I guess that sums it up really.

"He's all right. He's enjoying it, he's getting a little bit of stick - all friendly and good mannered.

"I really like him, he's a terrific lad and he's going to be a really wonderful player for us.

"It's limiting what I can do with him at the minute but he'll be all right. He said to me today 'I've only got one more week to go.' Oh, great. One more week, fantastic."

Two points clear at the top, Watford travel to newly-promoted Scunthorpe tomorrow.

Nigel Adkins' side are eighth after a promising start, with the other sides who came up from League One also going well.

And Boothroyd has warned that it could spell the end for some big names in the Championship.

He said: "The start that Blackpool have made, that Bristol have made and that Scunthorpe have made says 'We want to be in this league.'

"It may be that some team that was conceived as a big fish a couple of years ago might drop out. I think that's great. I love games like this. Of course my players love them - they have to.

"If you're asking whether I think we're a team of prima donnas, absolutely not. I would never, ever, ever have anybody in or around who was like that. The staff are like that but the players, never.

"It's harder than going to places like Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge. Your mindset changes - you were once the hunter, now you become the hunted.

"Everybody wants to get you, to kill you, to hunt you down to beat you and take you off the top."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/10/06/nathan-s-fast-show-89520-19906642/

BOB   

"I try my best and it's never a problem fasting during training days. However, I don't do it on the day of games."

Thanks My dearest Sister Cambaro....

I'd never considered him to be a good role model to our Muslim kids around the world and this statement and his contradictions in the article as a whole proves that I'm right.

I never knew that Eric Abidal was a Muslim nor Thuram...Maasha Allah.

I'm yet to see more devout Muslim than Kanoute and this guy has only been muslim for less than a decade...Maasha Allah...

How many celebrities do you know that would come out and say their role model is Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h...I've developed a soft spot for Sevilla because of him and I get joy seing him score...

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Buuxo   

Kanoute, a practicing Muslim who regularly performs his prayers even in the locker room, refused last season to wear a
jersey advertising for an inte gambling site, because gambling is forbidden in Islam

His team had to give him a brand-free jersey until he accepted wearing the sponsored jersey in return for money to an Islamic charity

Mashallah,onya Kanoute.

N.O.R.F   

One love to Freddie Kanoute! He used to play only the first half when he was at Spurs and most Spanish games are in the evening anyway.

Mrs D&D thanks for the articles.

Bob, reer UK eat at 7 or 6.45-ish this year. Those years of breaking fast at 4pm are behind us.

Kanoute has always been one of my favourites, mashallah.

The fact he decided to play for Mali rather than France makes him even more admirable I think.

I wonder how things are going for Ribery and Anelka..

I pray five times a day, the boys call me beardo...I'll live with it

Nathan Ellington wore a T-shirt to training last week. It bore the message: 'I'm Muslim, don't panic.'

Watford's £3.25million striker will not wear it for the cameras, much to our photographer's disappointment. It was his little joke, but he worries that to be pictured wearing it in a national newspaper might cause unintended offence.

118nathan_468x297.jpg

I’m a believer: Ellington fits his five prayer times around training

Twenty years ago, the idea of a Muslim footballer would almost have been fanciful. But in the modern game, the potpourri of nationalities drawn to these shores means it is not only inevitable, but the trend is growing.

In the Premier League, Mo Sissoko, Hameur Bouazza, Diomansy Kamara and Nicolas Anelka all follow Islam, as does, rumour has it, Robin van Persie.

Ellington was a "non-practising Christian" until two major influences on his life reshaped his views three years ago. His brother Jason adopted the faith. And then Ellington met his future wife, Alma.

"I'm a practising Muslim," he said. "And I told the manager Aidy Boothroyd that before I signed. I had a few moments with him to explain what I have to do. I explained that because it's seen as being different. He didn't have a problem with it. If he had, I don't know what I'd have done.

"It hasn't caused me any problems so far, because you are encouraged to rest. I pray five times a day. Before dawn, in the afternoon, mid-afternoon, sunset and then before I go to bed. So I can fit it in around training. If I had to train all day, I'd ask for five minutes to myself.

"I've got a prayer mat. The manager wouldn't have a problem with that, either. He'd respect the fact it was something I needed to do. The boys have a joke about it. I suppose frailties or abnormalities is the the worst I've been called is 'Beardo'. I can live with that."

If anyone had made that jibe at Micky Droy, Chelsea's hirsute hardman of the 1970s, they would probably have been on the end of a right-hander.

These days, in the dressing room, picking on perceived norm. If you can take it, then you are accepted.

At one club, a player was nicknamed 'Bomber' just because he was a Muslim.

Ellington said: "Some people would think that was funny, but it's not funny to joke about that. There are bigger issues out there. People lost their lives, loved ones. There's a line to be drawn.

"Anyway, it's not the religion, it's the people. The religion itself doesn't teach you anything bad. Islam encourages you to find fault with it. It wants you to investigate it, but I haven't found any faults yet. It does not teach you to be a bad person.

"You know, there is evil in other religions. Christianity, for example. It's not the religion that is bad. It's the people. That's what you've got to understand.

"Perhaps there is a lack of knowledge out there. I don't know how much some of the other lads know. If they wanted to talk to me about it, I'd be happy to share it with them. They've just got to ask."

Boothroyd is a progressive manager who wants his players on the right diet, but Ellington is observing Ramadan. He is not supposed to eat or drink in daylight hours. Surely that has brought conflict?

"Not really, because after sunset you can eat and drink as much as you want," he said. "You have to get the nutrients back into you then.

"You can get up before sunrise and make sure you have enough food inside you. I was up today at 5am to pray — and I ate early. On match days, if I'm travelling, there are provisions to eat and make up for it afterwards.

"Honestly, it hasn't affected my football. I've not encountered any prejudice through my religion. I've not suffered racist abuse, but I've had team-mates who have."

Ellington has made just two League starts since his August transfer and is yet to score for Watford, but he is just relieved to have put a summer of uncertainty behind him.

"It was very frustrating at West Bromwich," he said. "I was annoyed because I thought I was leaving in the window. The chairman said I could, then said I couldn't.

"I played under two managers who didn't really rate me. I understand now that it's the manager who makes you or breaks you. The gaffer here wants me to do well.

"It's about preparing for the future. Not just this league. If, no, when we get back to the Premier League, it's about doing much better next time around."

source

N.O.R.F   

Very good piece. Ramadan it seems is alot more obvious these days in western countries.

I never knew Nath Ellington was a Muslim until this thread. Great to see there are some good Muslims in the game.

What about Zidane ya Bob? The greatest player in recent times.

BOB   

Originally posted by Northerner:

What about Zidane ya Bob? The greatest player in recent times.

Salam Aleikum W.W

My Dear Brother Al Maghribi...No question...Zizou was the best player in his generation but I've read an article where he "apparently" said that he's a non-practicing Muslim but I've seen him drinking Champagne from the bottle...unless the Galacticos drink water from the champagne bottle!

it was THAT GAME...Real Vs Bayer Leverkusen where he scored arguably the greatest goal in the Champions league final history…My Dear Brother...thats Zizou for you...but Allah s.w knows best.

PS. We've won the Ramadan Cup...second year running...I thought I should add that just in case you were wondering how did my Eid Celebrations go... redface.gif

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

^^LoL congrats saxib. Good to know the Somalis are holding it down where football is concerned. I only wish these Arab Somalis could play football.

Zizzou let us down it seems.

Urban   

No mention of Sissoko here? He used to pray taraweeh in liverpool's al-rahma mosque regularely..

Also, I checked Lpool's fixtures, and he was included in the teamsheet for 12:45 match against POrtsmouth, 2 days after ramadan started.

BOB   

No one would think Mohammed Sissoko is Muslim until you hear his name...as he doesn't look like a Muslim especially off the pitch where he wears earrings...I can't tell anything about him as I know nothing of him nor read anything about him but all I see is him wearing earrings and seeing a man wearing earring has always disgusted me...let alone a Muslim one.

PS. I haven't come across a Somali guy wearing an earring...I think I would've laughed to the little bugger's face and let him know what I think of him...

I guess dhibaatada na heesata hadaan Soomaali nahay ayaa waxay tahay most of us are from Baadiye and when we come to the west we forget our roots and disown everything Muslim and Somali and when you have some one like that...they are capable of doing anything to themselves just to be accepted...hence mid baadiye ku dhashay kuna barbaaray oo dhag xiran ama gabar iyadana baadiye ka timid oo markaad aragto aad is leedahay naah this can't be a Muslim because of the way she dresses...

May Allah s.w Guide Us All Through The Righteous Path Insha Allah.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.