Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Is Patriotism An Extension of Clannish Mindset?

Nur   

Nomads

Wishing You All A happy Eid Season!

Here is another eNuri provocative topic on current issues that in my eyes collide head-on with the principles of Tawheed (Allah's Sovereignty).

This topic is wide open for all to participate, as we explore and analyze modern conventions in light of age old Islamic principles (Aqeedah), I suggest that we examine the validity of Clannish Loyalty, Patriotism, borders, Modern Unions ( United Nations, African Union, EU, ASEAN etc) in light of Islamic Law, Allah's Absolute Sovereignty, and unity of mankind.

The Modern Nation-State is said to be Sovereign, meaning that its an entity vested with absolute reign over its borders and citizens, (please refer to past eNuri definitions of Sovereignty on SOL Islam pages)

Some of questions in this regard that I'd like to raise are:

1. Isn't only the size that makes clannish loyalty different than Patriotism? if so, then why do some of us think negatively about clannish loyalty while being patriotic (Waddaninimo - Somali Patriotism)?

2. Does Patriotism aka Nationalism, compete with our loyalty with our Maker's Absolute Sovereignty? Does the flag and the National Anthem represent a modern Idol? I mean a form of false deity whose devotees hold it sacred above everything else?

3. Is grouping of peoples along colonial demarcated borders a legitimate right reserved for past Colonialists if Colonialism itself is deemed as an illegal crime committed by Nations who invaded peaceful nations, occupying their lands, stealing their resources, enslaving their peoples and then, as they cut their losses an ran away, hastily demarcated the lands they occupied as per their interests and not as per the wishes of the indigenous peoples?

4. What is the strongest cohesive force that unites different peoples of different races, colors and languages?

5. Are the United Nations and African Union entities that sanction morally binding and encompassing authority over member nations' Sovereignty? Do they reserve the right to recognize the representatives of the member nations based on:

A. Principles of the Organization,

B. Principles held by the Member Nation's People If it becomes different than the Organizations founding principles?

C. Does the African Union, and the UN own its members or its the members who own the Organziation?

Nur

2010 eNuri Political Islam

Bridging Islamic Principles With Modern Governance

AYOUB   

Aw Nuurow, where does the verse that says "made you into nations and tribes" fit in all this, and what are its contexts. I'm asking becaause most Somalis used it to excuse everything good or bad.

Blessed Ciid season all, Sh Nuurow I effectively share your views on the rest but just to add this:

1. Isn't only the size that makes clannish loyalty different than Patriotism? if so, then why do some of us think negatively about clannish loyalty while being patriotic
(Waddaninimo - Somali Patriotism)
?

1. Patriotism or love for one's town or country is actually praiseworthy and contrast with nationalism; one can indeed focus on his family and neighborhood without necessarily being indifferent to others.

Now, if selective emotions leads you to overlook others's rights and suffering, this is called clanishness and is as unethical and uncivilised as slapping your neighborhood's orphan merely because you see him fighting with your own kid.

3. Is grouping of peoples along colonial demarcated borders a legitimate right reserved for past Colonialists if Colonialism itself is deemed as an illegal crime committed by Nations who invaded peaceful nations, occupying their lands, stealing their resources, enslaving their peoples and then, as they cut their losses an ran away, hastily demarcated the lands they occupied as per their interests and not as per the wishes of the indigenous peoples?

3. Colonial borders are irrelevant for me in the sens I always felt closer to the Somali in Jigjiga or Garissa by any standard, than my Afar neighboors in Tadjourah, just North of Djibouti city.

In that light, there is simply no compelling moral or theological argument I can conceive of to impose colonial borders on reluctant fellow Somalis of all groups, even though I would probably be among those to benefit most (materially) should colonial Somaliland to be revived...

Nur   

Ayoub Bro.

You ask: "where does the verse that says "made you into nations and tribes" fit in all this, and what are its contexts. I'm asking because most Somalis used it to excuse everything good or bad".

Very good observation, I would rather respond to this loaded question later to allow more thoughts by Nomads, however let me just say this: The conclusion of the verse says : "The most honorable among you ( Nations and Tribes) in Allahs's sight are those who are most observant of (Allah's Commandments)"[/b. Hence Tribal or national loyalty is intimately conditional to Allah's loyalty as the only recognized measure of honor, which guarantees that all nations and tribes become a single family when they all adhere to Allah;s commandments.

Abu Salman bro.

What if the Afar guy in Tojurrah is more in line with Islam than the Somali in Jigjiga or Djibouti? Will you still be closer to the Somali?

Akhi, Patriotism can mean either the love of one's homeland, which is natural, even the Prophet SAWS used to Love Makkah more than any other place. But, the love of the clan or the race aka Nationalism is what this thread is all about.

What kind of bond made Salman the Persian, Suhaib the Roman, Bilal, the Abyssinian (Ethiopian), and Mohammad SAWS the Arab so close?

The question is who should we be more loyal to: A Devout Ethiopian Muslim or a Secular Somali?

Nur

Malika   

That's easy,the answer would be the devout Ethiopian Muslim - ofcourse that is the part of the mind that is able to see through the illusion and has been able to open its heart to the acceptance of Islam..Now,unfortunately one is yet to be free of inslaved mind that is captivated by the unconscious urges and habitial thinking - this be the sense of belongness to a clan,nation etc..

This is hard - should not be,but it is hard.

Conflicting and challenging for the modern Islamic world with its intertwined western/traditional ideologies.

Indeed. Maybe there is an issue of semantics (eg the term nationalism was more appropriate than patriotism in the title etc).

There is nothing blamewhorty in loving your family, village, clan or community in a special way.

As for Ethiopians, we always had great relations with individuals, even though many are non-muslims; they also happen to be our closest kin, ethnologically speaking.

Nationalism however, typically Western in its origins, ie oppressing or excluding others, is as primitive and un-Islamic as racism, the classes and castes systems still raging in Chicago, Paris or Delhi despite few theatricals...

AYOUB   

Aw Nuurow, Eid Mubaarak to you too and apologies for jumping the gun. smile.gif

1. Isn't only the size that makes clannish loyalty different than Patriotism? if so, then why do some of us think negatively about clannish loyalty while being patriotic
(Waddaninimo - Somali Patriotism)
?

Good question, one which I've asked in the mad house section of SOL. Some "Somalism" propagated by some folks claiming not to be clannish is nothing short of hypocrisy - especially when done under the banner "isku diin..".

2. Does Patriotism aka Nationalism, compete with our loyalty with our Maker's Absolute Sovereignty? Does the flag and the National Anthem represent a modern Idol? I mean a form of false deity whose devotees hold it sacred above everything else?

Well as long as your flag got tawxiid writen on you're covered. smile.gif

On a serious note, the phrase "Ilaahay ka sokow...." should apply on the "sovereignity" at the very least. It's all in the interpretation because there's no single movement that does have flag or Coat of Arms that I'm aware of.

In an ideal world, colonial borders are not justifiable. Fact is; even the most vocal groups on this issues (like Shabaab) have so far chosen to respect the colonial borders of Somalia (with Kenya and Ethiopia). One can have ideals and principles but pragmatism rules. The question is; is it smart to shout from the roof-tops in the first place?

The other issue is; if the likes of Shabaab got rid of colonial borders; where do they stop? Hanjabaaddan "ilaa iyo Alaska" ma kadhab baa? is there a half-way house other than the nationalistic "Greater Somalia"?

4. What is the strongest cohesive force that unites different peoples of different races, colors and languages??

Well the obvious answer is Islam, but I'm not going to jump the gun again, so I'll leave it to you. smile.gif

5. Are the United Nations and African Union entities that sanction morally binding and encompassing authority over member nations' Sovereignty? Do they reserve the right to recognize the representatives of the member nations based on:

A. Principles of the Organization,

B. Principles held by the Member Nation's People If it becomes different than the Organizations founding principles?

C. Does the African Union, and the UN own its members or its the members who own the Organization?

Nur

2010 eNuri Political Islam

Bridging Islamic Principles With Modern Governance

Once again; in a perfect world, things should not be as they are. Imperialism exists in a different format compared to the 20th century version but what are we going to do about it? Muslim countries can chose not to play by the these organisation's rules if they are prepared to take the pressures (Iran is under as we speak) or just grin and bear it like the Arabian Sheikhdoms. They could demand opt-outs if there is a clash of principles. One can argue Norway is not a member of the EU and Switzerland - of all places - joined the not-so-democratic UN not long ogo. The Americans in reality do not recognise the International Criminal Court and some countries are not members of the NPT. As things stand, The reality is; the International Community (read Uncle Sam) decides who bends the rules and gets away with it. smile.gif

Nur   

Malika sis

MaashAllah, that was easy! wasn't it, you see, restructuring our loyalty along faith is what will save us in the day of judgment, at the cheap price of taking the risk of disowning our own clan or race who have broken Allah's covenant. An Ethiopian, European, Chinese or a Jewish Muslim should be closer to our hearts in affection than a hypocrite Somali warlord. Faith should define the new borders, not race, nor geographical colonial maps. In stark contrast, imagine redrawing world maps along faith affiliations, Christians Catholics, Protestants, Presbyterians, Morons, etc), Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and Atheists! imagine if these are the new nations with their homelands as their borders?

Akhi Abu Salman

You write: "There is nothing blameworthy in loving your family, village, clan or community in a special way."

Akhi, I agree with the first part, loving one's homeland is not contradicting with loyalty to our maker, however, loving the clan is conditional that our clan has pledged loyalty to Allah ALONE!, even dual loyalty is a form of shirk which we can analyze it further to see nature of the conflict and its dire impact both in this life and next.

Akhi Ayoub

Thank you for clarifying the role of the International Organizations, you are definitely right, like Switzerland or the US, one can pick and choose, but, we Somalis are just learning how to play cards (A Somali Clannish Joke, no offense to anyone!), and the more we learn how to play the cards game, the more they break their own rules.

Our dilemma is reconciling our loyalties, is it for our clan or national leaders, our lands or our faith? and what are the exception to the rule if any?

Nur

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Nur:

Malika sis

MaashAllah, that was easy! wasn't it, you see, restructuring our loyalty along faith is what will save us in the day of judgment, at the cheap price of taking the risk of disowning our own clan or race who have broken Allah's covenant. An Ethiopian, European, Chinese or a Jewish Muslim should be closer to our hearts in affection than a hypocrite Somali warlord. Faith should define the new borders, not race, nor geographical colonial maps. In stark contrast, imagine redrawing world maps along faith affiliations, Christians
Catholics, Protestants, Presbyterians, Morons, etc)
, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and Atheists! imagine if these are the new nations with their homelands as their borders?

Our dilemma is reconciling our loyalties, is it for our clan or national leaders, our lands or our faith? and what are the exception to the rule if any?

Nur

When I read your words, I always have to guess at your starting point. In the past, it was easy. I assumed that it was faith related. However, ever since you revealed your sympathies with the Shabab doctrine, I am usually left with no choice but to judge your words along those lines and assume that you are forwarding yet another Shabab inspired argument. I merely mention all of this so that you are under no illusions as to my terms of reference when tackling this topic of yours. smile.gif

To cut a long story short and deal with your leading questions head on, I say that there is no connection whatsoever between Aqeedah, Tawheed and Clannisim/Patriotism (in the Somali case). The first two are foregone conclusions if you are a Muslim, and do not collide with the third. On the other hand, the Islamic Ummah is a fluid and abstract concept that is not governed by borders or bureaucratic rules (and so it shouldn't). The whole idea of Dacwa sees to that.

Of course, your musings above do beg the question about how one gets dealt with on the Day of Judgment. Will nations get punished in mass or is Xisaab & Ciqaab an individual thing?

Ya Sheikhuna, you are still a Somali no matter how many Ethiopian Muslim brothers you have. You are still a son of reer hebel in spite of pledging loyalty to any new Islamic grouping that may spring up. This is something that did not change when Qureesh had a nabi of their own or when some of them migrated to Medina to be known as Muhajroon and live amongst their Muslim brothers, Al Ansar. It did not change when Bani Ummayah created a Khilafa that spread Islam far and wide or when Bani Cabbas took over from them. Being a Muslim does not stop one from being anything else as is proven to this day when we refer to Bilaal Al Xabashi, Suleiman Al Farsi and Suhaib Al Romi (or as some of Al Shabab members are known as fulan Al Ameriki, etc).

So we go back to the origin of your "provocative" topic and ask, what is it that you are after here? Are there Muslims who believe in their country or clan above (or alongside) their creator? Where and how? Or is it a perception that you and the impulsive modern Muslims have?

You talk of Tawheed and give it a much deeper meaning than what it actually is (when one removes all the paraphernalia and philosophising). But what is Tawheed? Is it not the simple utterance and belief that there is no god but Allah? Would a layman (or woman) who professes to hold that belief add a clan or country to it? Has such a thing happened?

Returning to the issue of patriotism and clannish mindsets (such an ugly term – arr la tuzakko anfosokom maad maqal miya?). Does a clannish mindset exist in Somalia today? I beg to disappoint you here and declare that it does not. Our wars are ones of mistrust and fitna rather than one where one clan believes it is better than another. This, of course, presents me with an opportunity to remind you of the ayah that talks about two groups fighting and how we should try to mediate between the two or fight the one that refuses the mediation (I fully paraphrase here but you get the hint). Now, if you look at the ayah itself, it refers to two groups of Mo'meneen (not even Muslimeen) but why are they two groups and what may I ask could make them break into two if they are already Muslim? The command from the Almighty is also very clear; fight the one that refuses to adhere to the laws of mediation (as set down by the faith). There is nothing that forbids one from belonging to an Islamic group (be it a clan, a nation or a sect). The conflict only arises when one refuses to adhere to the rules of Islam.

In the case of Somalia it is quite clear that many people were (and still are) happy to adhere to such rules. The advent of the Islamic Courts Union and the way they pacified the capital city in such a short time is proof enough of that fact. People from different clans flocked to them because they saw them as fair arbiters (see the mistrust point above?). Yet, though these Courts did not prove to have a long-term political solution for the Somali problem and though they eventually got waylaid by the adulation, their brief stint disproved the whole nonsensical arguments about clannish mindsets. Somalis do not fight over whose horse is faster (ala Daaxis Wal qabra’a), they fight over resources, saaxib. Such a conflict is not clan dependent either; it is something that can take place at the individual level (like two neighbours fighting over a shared piece of land. Strangely enough, when it is two men it is regarded as just a fight but when it is two clans it becomes a clannish mindset!). Never mind all of that, tell me, does the Somali system for clan mediations differ much from the Islamic one? Will Al Shabab ever adhere to the rules? :D

Patriotism in itself is also not a problem. The love of one's land and the wish to improve such a land (and people) does not (and should not) have an effect on one's faith. It is simply an issue of groupings, safety being in numbers, shared history, land or customs (that do not conflict with the faith itself). It is not an extension of a clannish mindset it is rather an extension of the family unit.

Now let us lob patriotism and clans together for a minute then use a real life example to see if the two do and have affected one's tawheed or aqeeda. Look at the case of Ayaan Hirsi (though usually, I am loath to use exact examples), how many patriotic Somalis would give her the time of day? How many from her own clan? I would confidently argue that the number would be very minuscule. In fact, only a misguided few.

The world is still ok ya saaxibi. Don't get yourself (and others) all tangled up in these utopian ideas of yours.

Malika   

^Says the man that chants 'clan is everything'..lol

Will come back to your argument that Somalis do not have a clannish mentality - I disagree with you.One has to just pop round the politic section to observe the clannish mentality.

Meanwhile Ngonge define for me - clannish mentality - smile.gif

NGONGE   

^^ If you disagree with me dear, tell me why. Don't give me a promise that you shall return yet ask me for more clarifications. You are picking Nur's bad habits there. :D

But I shall indulge you and tell you what a clannish mentality entails. It is when I (NGONGE the son of Mr Iron, the son of Mr Debonaire) look down upon you because you are Malika (the daughter of someone that I don't know). But, of course, you are not the daughter of someone that I don't know. You are the daughter of noble people who are the sons of noble people.

In Somalia today the fight is about land, resources and saftey. The empty talk of this man or that man does not (and would not) find receptive ears if it were not for the original problem.

I totally believe that clan is everything. It is real in 4.5, it is real in the SSC struggle and it is real in the ONLF fight, it is real in SL, PL and whatever last 'L' that has an area name before it. But in all these examples, it is not because reer hebel believe they are the best of the best. It is only because reer hebel do not want to be trampeled on. Remove that threat and you will remove the majority of the clan rehtoric that gets you and all the holier-than-thou wheel inventors hot under the collar.

Your turn. Oblige me please. smile.gif

I am with NGONGE on this. He articulated a point that has been nailed down on these boards before.

Clans are not the problem (In other words clan is not everything in Somalia :D ), rather there is a crisis of leadership in Somalia. And that failure exists in every category i.e political, traditional, religious...

It is this leadership crisis that resulted in the failure to reconcile our political disputes. And let me add that all of our disputes are political in nature; they are not clannish or religious. Even alshabaab have political orientation considering the fact that they belong to a larger organization that is outside of Somali soil.

Don’t get me wrong in saying that our conflict is a political one, for I am not denying there are clan-based conflicts raging some parts of Somalia---those type of conflicts still exist but they are NOT what failed Somalia as a state or fuels our long civil war.

There is undeniable clanish/regional sense of superiority and exagerated self-importance; however, if resources fight and mistrust are crucial, alongside the lack of leadership, clanishness seems a factor in all those issues.

That is the reason why what seems to be an ideal leader or opportunity is met with relative indifference and greater scrutinity by the majority (unlike local ones).

Of course, it is also common to project evil intentions onto other clans and over-generalise.

Nur   

Akhi Ngonge

I appreciate your valuable input into this topic, when a topic like this one is raised, each and everyone sees it from their own perspective, interest and based on their information or lack of, on the given topic. Thus, when debating, like driving on a highway full of speeding cars, we focus on where we want to go from where we are, which creates a blind spot on the rest of the picture under discussion.

So, the more participation in discussing this important topic, the more clarity we can all gain from reading others views thereby enriching the discussion, so I thank you once more for your elaborate response.

Akhi, you write:

"I assumed that it was faith related. However, ever since you revealed your sympathies with the Shabab doctrine, I am usually left with no choice but to judge your words along those lines and assume that you are forwarding yet another Shabab inspired argument. I merely mention all of this so that you are under no illusions as to my terms of reference when tackling this topic of yours. :D

Akhi al kareem, Ali Ibnu Abi Talib said, "know men through their adherence to Xaq (What is right), Do not seek the Xaq, through men (that one is sympathetic to), I would appreciate if we can make the Xaq (Quraan and Sunnah) our reference point since Allah SWT said in Holy Quraan, " If you disagree on an issue, refer to Allah ( Quraan) and the Messenger ( Sunnah).

You write:

"I say that there is no connection whatsoever between Aqeedah, Tawheed and Clannisim/Patriotism (in the Somali case).

Akhi, as you are well aware, Iman ( Aqeedah) is composed of six pillars, of which the belief in Allah SWT conflicts with Calannism/Patriotism, let me show you how:

1. Believe in Allah's Sovereignty ( SAMAD, No contestants in His Absolute Dominion over His creatures)

2. Belief in His Absolute Justice through His Devine Law.

3. Belief in His Allegiance.

In Surah Ancaam, verse 14-15 Allah says:

14. Say (O Muhammad ): "Shall I take as a Wali (helper, protector, etc.) any other than Allah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth? And it is He Who feeds but is not fed." Say: "Verily, I am commanded to be the first of those who submit themselves to Allah ." And be not you (O Muhammad ) of the Mushrikun [polytheists, pagans, idolaters].

15. Say: "I fear, if I disobey my Lord, the torment of a Mighty Day."

Clannism/Patriotism bond between people is a temporal relationship, it ends with this current life, while Aqeedah / Tawheed bond is eternal, it binds people in this life and next, and unlike temporal Bonds (Clan, patriotism, Economic blocks, Political interest groups) that are material in nature and serve a temporary passing need, the AQeedah bond is a one stop shop for all of our aspirations present and future. on the other hand, Clan bonds are not always fair as it denies others what it entitles to itself, hence the flimsy nature of this bond.

In the Somali case as you have noted, the leadership of the Clan has always been the guardian of the members of the clan's interest, which was in the past mostly resources (Water and pastures), and at present, power and representation in what is known as the "Parliament".

Since the collapse of the Siad Barre regime, Somalis have taken refuge in their respective clans, as well as the West. I am sure that you can recall how brutal the inter-clan rivalry that ensued was and how much anarchy and lawlessness it created for the following 16 years until Islam appeared in the picture in the form of the short lived ICU uprising, and later the emergence of the Resistance groups of which the Shabab is the most organized faction.

This unexpected change in the political landscape has created a Paradigm Shift ( Paradigm Shift in Somalia ), which altered the rules of engagement, so in a sense, your statement that the Clan aka Qabil/ has no connection with Aqeedah is true in the sense that they form a zero sum, allegiance to the clan, conflicts with allegiance to Allah SWT.

The conflict of the allegiance to the (clan/nation) and our allegiance to Allah arises when the clan/nation claims Sovereignty ( Independence From Allah SWT) and as a consequence, the right to legislate what it sees fit to its clan members/nation.

Allah SWT says in Surah Tawbah (Repentance) in Holy Quraan:

23. O you who believe! Take not for Awliya' (allies, friends, enter into mutual defense pacts) your fathers and your brothers if they prefer disbelief to Belief. And whoever of you does so, then he is one of the Zalimun (transgressors, etc.)

24. Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight ... are dearer to you than Allah and His Messenger, and striving hard and fighting in His Cause , then wait until Allah brings about His Decision (torment). And Allah guides not the people who are Al-Fasiqun (the rebellious, disobedient to Allah).

You write:

" the Islamic Ummah is a fluid and abstract concept that is not governed by borders or bureaucratic rules (and so it shouldn't). The whole idea of Dacwa sees to that.

The Islamic Ummah is fluid in the sense that at any given time some new people are embracing Islam, while at the same time some are opting out, however, the existence of the Ummah has been real as opposed to abstract (Theoretical, disassociated from reality). Its true though that today, its abstract in the sense that there is no real representation of the ideals that Islam stands for, and for which the Islamic revival is addressing and many "Muslims" find unease in the process of change, from abstract to Islam on the ground (approaching real Islam).

You write:

Of course, your musings above do beg the question about how one gets dealt with on the Day of Judgment. Will nations get punished in mass or is Xisaab & Ciqaab an individual thing?

This is a brilliant observation akhi, it shows how one must be careful which cause and which grouping he pledges loyalty to, because, although in the day of judgment we will be judged on our individual actions, we will get a credit or a punishment for the contribution of our action on the clan level. We will carry our own burden in the day of judgment and, and the burden of those we mislead without knowledge.

In the Holy Quraan ,Surah Al Naxl, Verse 25 :

25. They will bear their own burdens in full on the Day of Resurrection, and also of the burdens of those whom they misled without knowledge. Evil indeed is that which they shall bear!

In Surah Ankaboot ( Spider):

13. And verily, they shall bear their own loads, and other loads besides their own, and verily, they shall be questioned on the Day of Resurrection about that which they used to fabricate..

Its also interesting to note that Surah Ankaboot is named after the flimsy and weak web dwelling of the spider as a metaphor for the weakness of any bond that is not in the sake of Allah SWT, the verses read:

41. The likeness of those who take Auliya' (protectors and helpers) other than Allah is as the likeness of a spider, who builds (for itself) a house, but verily, the frailest (weakest) of houses is the spider's house; if they but knew.

You write:

"Ya Sheikhuna, you are still a Somali no matter how many Ethiopian Muslim brothers you have. You are still a son of reer hebel in spite of pledging loyalty to any new Islamic grouping that may spring up. This is something that did not change when Qureesh had a nabi of their own or when some of them migrated to Medina to be known as Muhajroon and live amongst their Muslim brothers, Al Ansar. It did not change when Bani Ummayah created a Khilafa that spread Islam far and wide or when Bani Cabbas took over from them. Being a Muslim does not stop one from being anything else as is proven to this day when we refer to Bilaal Al Xabashi, Suleiman Al Farsi and Suhaib Al Romi (or as some of Al Shabab members are known as fulan Al Ameriki, etc).

Genetically speaking, you are 100% correct.

You write;

You talk of Tawheed and give it a much deeper meaning than what it actually is (when one removes all the paraphernalia and philosophising).

Man! you are so right, and I hope its all for the right reasons. You see paesano, initially Tawheed was very simple. The Prophet SAWS used to climb a hill in Makkah and shout, " Say No one is worth to be Ilaah other than Allah", a simple statement that created so much anger in the Prophet's tribe, Qureish, because they knew very well, the repercussions of this statement, a word that threatened the slave ownership of the clan, the financial advantage of the Clan's caravan, the justice that will rob them their special status, you see, it was so simple, but so scary, unfortunately, today, few understand what this word stands for, and that is why I spend so much time explaining this simple concept to an oblivious crowd.

You Write:

" Does a clannish mindset exist in Somalia today? I beg to disappoint you here and declare that it does not. "

Just the other day a friend of mine who was invited in a clan meeting (not mine) was very concerned at the deep mistrust his clan had with others and how they planned to change things in their favor, he was expected to pay money for the clan cause, but was very concerned of he sin he will incur for the usage of such funds as some of the decision makers were not bound by any Islamic Law. I would humbly say yaa akhi, the clan mindset is alive and kicking, and the only place that there is some hope of containing it ( not eradicating it) is the Emirates of Shabbland.

You Write:

Somalis do not fight over whose horse is faster (ala Daaxis Wal qabra’a), they fight over resources, saaxib

Akhi, as an example out of many localities, you just need to visit Galkacyo's Greenline that demarcates where a Nomad can ride his horse!

You write:

"Never mind all of that, tell me, does the Somali system for clan mediations differ much from the Islamic one? Will Al Shabab ever adhere to the rules? [big Grin]"

Akhi, there is no Somali system at all, but there is a clan system, and each clan has its own system aka XEER, which is mostly not in line with the Sharia, thus, a form of shirk as it denies the Sovereignty of Allah by following His Xukum on any matter as Allah SWT says in Surah Al Shuraa , verse 10, is Holy Quraan:

10. And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah (He is the ruling Judge). (And say O Muhammad to these polytheists:) Such is Allah, my Lord in Whom I put my trust, and to Him I turn in all of my affairs and in repentance.

You write:

Patriotism in itself is also not a problem. The love of one's land and the wish to improve such a land (and people) does not (and should not) have an effect on one's faith.

True

You Conclude:

The world is still ok ya saaxibi. Don't get yourself (and others) all tangled up in these utopian ideas of yours.

smile.gifsmile.gif

Nur

AYOUB   

^ Aw Nuurow, what were the borders for Somalis before the Great Scramble? I know the people down south were sold to the Italians by a Sultaan in Zanzibar. Is that position a somewhat religiously, politically or morally better for Somalis to put themselves in again?

we Somalis are just learning how to play cards (A Somali Clannish Joke, no offense to anyone!),

Reer X turub baray!? :D You need to do some dacwa in the other section, we'll bring out the best in you. :D