Sign in to follow this  
harir 10

somali christian is it a fact or a fiction

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

ThePoint,

Mark Twain was right but no sure if his quote applies in this incident.

If the stat is from Ibn Warraq - then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn

winnie   

Originally posted by Honesita:

quote:Originally posted by illegal some-alien:

does it matter? its their loss.

Salaamu Aleeykum

(allow me to disagree) Yes, I think it does matter. Muhammad Alayhi Salaam is the example that we follow in Islam. There is a hadeeth that i heard before but i cant find it or its authenticity where the Prophet alayhi salaam says that our example is the example of a man who builds a huge fire and he wants to throw himself in it and the Prophet is holding him by the waiste so that he does not fall in it. It's a beautiful hadeeth masha Allah. Basically the message of Islam is True Salvation. My point is, "We are not doing our job in learning and teaching Islam, Dawah starts at home, those leaving Islam to Christianity seem to be the most ignorant about religion, it's purpose and mainly about Islam, and the fact that they are no longer worshipping Allah the proper way should be a wake up call to us, insha Allah."

My two cents...Wallahu Ta'ala A'lam.

Fii Amaani'Laah
wa 3leykum salaam sis, i see where youre coming from but i still hold on to my original statement. i agree, dawah starts at home and with yourself first but im also a very fatalistic person. if a person rejects islam or accepts it its due to allah subhana wa ta'ala. that doesnt mean we shouldnt do anything in terms of educating ourselves and striving to improve ourselves but another persons lack of faith doesnt say much about my faith or allah subhana wa ta'ala. its their loss.

Originally posted by ThePoint:

You can't sell me the Brookly bridge but I'll correct you. I presented no stats from Ibn Warraq, only used him as former muslims who knows more about Islam than the overwhelming majority of Muslims. With the intent to debunk the absurd suggestion that ignorance leads a muslim away from Islam.

ElPunto   

quote:Originally posted by ThePoint:

You can't sell me the Brookly bridge but I'll correct you. I presented no stats from Ibn Warraq, only used him as former muslims who knows more about Islam than the overwhelming majority of Muslims. With the intent to debunk the absurd suggestion that ignorance leads a muslim away from Islam.
Who knows about the man's background - he could be an alien from outer space or the guy who voices Homer Simpson. He doesn't even have the guts to use his real name. And the sister was more specific - she said ignorance of Islam leads a Muslim to choose Christianity - not ignorance leads a Muslim away from Islam in general. Anecdotally - I would agree. What sort of a person goes from 2 religions with much similarity and then chooses the one with the 1 in 3/3 in 1 God-head. Talk about logical gymnastics.

Who cares about his background. He is a former muslim who knows about Islam than most muslims. His case is example of exceptional knowledge of Islam leading to apostasy.

Game set and match!

BTW, I honestly didn't suspect HOnesta was a sis :( WOuld've dealt with her more gently.

Jacpher   

Nacnac badne,

Keep worshipping the lizard and it shall disown your worshipping in the day of judgement, as stated in the Quran. Jahanamo requires some work, no such thing as a free pass. You don't need Ibn Waraqa or Mark Twain, lizard worshipping will get you right in the door.

Whenever a calamity befalls the muslims nations as it so often does.Who are the first ones to go there? Of course the christian missionaires or more commonly known as "aid workers".Just browsing through their websites they have profiles of all peoples in africa. Yes including most somalis.Who do you think is sponsoring the somali bantus? I watched the programme where sudanese families where staying with catholics in the usa.Even in london the people i see doing missionary work are none other then the jehovas witnesses!Where they hand out leaflets in somali.

ElPunto   

Who cares about his background. He is a former muslim who knows about Islam than most muslims. His case is example of exceptional knowledge of Islam leading to apostasy.

Game set and match!

BTW, I honestly didn't suspect HOnesta was a sis
:(
WOuld've dealt with her more gently.

Hold on there Pete Sampras - there's more than one set in the match. Who knows whether this man was in fact a former Muslim - apart from his assertion and one can't even investigate him because he doesn't use his real name. Besides he doesn't fit the sister's criterio of Muslim to Christian - his book seemed a diatribe against all religion. I maybe wrong on him not being a Christian but that was the impression I got from his book.

Originally posted by Nur:

[QB] Socod Badne

Christian Converts to ISLAM includes former priests, and nuns, scientists, diplomats, high profile personalities, in contrast, Christianity failed to evengelize Somalis for over a century of Catholic missionary work except for few individuals seeking a worldly gain(Some cash and material and sponsorship to become refugees)..

In Somalia, two segments of Somalis were converted, at the earliest, students of the Mennonite Mission at Jawher and Mahaddai, who were promised scholarships to the USA and a better style life, and members of the farming communities in the Jubba valley.

No wonder there were some somalis from kenya like (The ajuuraans) were converted to christianity by the Anglican Church of Kenya for some C$$$....

By the way, Did u hear about the christian priest who was conning people that he would cure Aids..

Preach theee...Preach smile.gifsmile.gif Halleluya..

Johnny B   

The unanswered question is not weather there are Somali christians regardless of the level of their knowledge about Islam, but how accepted are they among their communities? Is Somali = Muslim? or an identity of blood, culture environment etc etc?

Abdi2005   

quote:Originally posted by ThePoint:

How do you know this person is an ex muslim? There is no information about his background, many scholars doubt he is what he claim he is. His polemical works is very popular amongs the missionarys.

N.O.R.F   

Never personally met a Somali non muslim but i hear they do exist.

SB, let me get this right, you are prepared to accept an apostate's view on Islam but you are not willing to accept the well grounded/researched knowledge of Islamic Scholars/Students?

Your argument was something along the lines of "i dont believe everything i hear" but in this case you are prepared to accept 'everything you hear'.

Is it because it is anti-Islam by any chance? (Ibn Warraq's view)

Abdi2005,

I have no probable cause to suspect he's lying. As skeptic by nature an inkling of doubt about his credebility would have sufficed to mistrust him. But none materialised.

Originally posted by Northerner:

SB, let me get this right, you are prepared to accept an apostate's view on Islam but you are not willing to accept the well grounded/researched knowledge of Islamic Scholars/Students?

Did you even read my posts? I don't know where you got me accepting I. Warraq's views on Islam. The lead-in post that spawned the cropping up of Ibn Warraq's name was request -- by Nur-- to name a former muslim who knows more about Islam than the average muslim.

For the record, I don't share or accept Ibn Warraq's views on Islam.

N.O.R.F   

Did you even read my posts?

Not really, i usually know what to expect then proceed to 'skim' through it.

Of course I can, I'm SB. Man of stats and facts. Ibn Waraq (spelling!). Regardless of your view of him, agree with him or not, you gotta admit the man knows his stuff.

How does he know his stuff SB?

I am a Christian born in Romania and I always felt Eastern Christianity is closer to Islam than to Catholicism. I admire Muslims and hope that one day we will all realize how much we share.

I can't really speak on Somali Christians, because I'm not Somali, but generally I believe someone's faith is a personal business. One's soul is a matter that's between that person and God, nobody else. Only the Prophets, Peace be upon Them, had the moral right to guide people and lead them on the right path.

That's why I've never liked missionaries and other people who try to convert whoever they come across. It's okay to show them and inform them, but it's not okay to persuade them. You can't force faith, it comes from within.

lol my bad for digressing. Back to the topic..