Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Syria

The situation is Syria is extremely complex, its not simply a case of an uprising like Libya. there are more insidious outside elements at play here. Assad is no saint but he does have a point.

Archdemos;776573 wrote:
The situation is Syria is extremely complex, its not simply a case of an uprising like Libya. there are more insidious outside elements at play here. Assad is no saint but he does have a point.

Exactly. Well anytime you have the western media supporting one side, you always take the opposite side.

Why no body is talking about Baxreen. Dadkooda not only tanks u keeneen but foreign tanks loo keenay to crush the protesters. I used to have a huge respect for dowladda Qadar and Aljasiira, but Aljasiira mar mar wey ka fakataa dacaayadahooda raqiiska ah.

N.O.R.F   

Archdemos;776573 wrote:

It started out as a genuine rebellion (and it still is). However, it has taken a different turn of late. The elephant in the room being Sunni vs Shia. Trying to weaken the Iranian influence and breaking the Iran/Iraq/Syria/Lebanon geopolitical link is the aim of the game. Unfortunately for the people of Syria, they have to wait because of the pending, almost unavoidable war between the west/GCC and Iran.

I agree, what infuriates me is the blatant propaganda being spouted by media who are playing the lead role in normalising and framing the debate around Iran as the now 'inevitable' war.

377249_278904845495696_199067310146117_8

This is the unfortunate reality that shows Iran flanked on all sides by US bases, yet they are still the aggressors. We continue to sanction the killing of Iranian scientist and use euphemism like 'assassinated', doesn't sound as hard hitting as plain old murdered. The sanctioned dehumanisation of victim.

ElPunto   

^The average protestor in Syria doesn't give a damn about this map or the vying factions. He/she wants to get rid of the oppressive and brutal rule of Assad who sought fit to murder over 5000 ppl to stay in power. Saying othewise is muddying the waters.

I’m not trying to muddy the waters but rather trying to highlight the one narrative we’re receiving from the Syrian rebellion. Yes there are elements against the regime, yes the regime is dictatorship and yes they have killed innocent protestors, but it’s a regime that still has the support from large sections of Syrian society. It is clear the Free Syrian Army and other defector forces are being armed by the west and others, and the regime is seriously attempting to fight an insurgency that is fuelled from the outside, albeit one that was ignited internally. It isn’t however helping its case by not addressing the situation on the ground vis a vis the protestors legitimate concerns.

I would hate to see what a ‘democracy’ would look like in Syria with the very real sectarian divisions in the country. I would much rather see a phased approach to relinquishing power. Try to see what’s happening in Syria as part of an orchestrated movement that is more to do with geo politics than simply a case of tyrannical leader hell bent on murder.

ElPunto   

^It has support from the Alwaites because the military and the state is dominated by them and they have the support of Chrisitians and others who fear Iraqi style chaos but the reality is that this is a minority. Just as the demonstrations in Egypt were led by only a sub set of the population - they did reflect the genuine political will. So it is here.

The Free Syrian Army started as off as an adhoc group who took what weapons they had as part of the military with them. That it may now receiving weapons from the outside is not all that important as long as it is they who initiated this rebellion and they are leading it. What is true is the rebels haven't come together and offered a coherent inclusive message to appeal to all Syrians and especially the minorities. I have no desire to see chaos in Syria but it is important to distinguish between Xaq and Baatil here. Assad should go - it's up to him and those overthrowing him to ensure a decent outcome for all. And the onus shouldn't be on the rebels simply because they rebelled against a tyrannical regime.

You raise some good point El Punto, and i think we agree on the whole, and maybe i need to get past the interfering elements that are at play in this saga. I'm just afraid of the real possibility of this all ending in protracted sectarian violence if there is a power vacuum. Whatever Syrians decide let be in the interests of Syrians first and foremost.

ElPunto   

Honestly the potentially disastrous outcome depends almost entirely on Assad - he has to do sommething that changes the whole situation radicaaly and can go a long way to appease the protestors.