Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Think of the Possibilities

Carafaat   

This evening I visited the local Somali community center and had a very interesting and enlighting conversation with this very funny Somali guy. He asked me immediately where I was born (probably wanted to my clan) and I told him I was from Muqdishu. He said that my accent didnt sound 'Xamari' and that he though I was from Djibouti because djiboutians are skinny and dark when they are in Africa and in Europe they become heavy and light skinned. I was shocked and he continued with all kind of diffrent funny provocations which lead to a funny argument. later on I told him that my family is from Somaliland. He asked me which sub-clan and the rest of the lineage, etc. more funny provocations followed directed towards my sub-clan and I did my best to stand ground as much as I could.

He told me is from Hargeysa and belongs to A&T folks who live in Dhagaxbuur. naturally I aksed him which sub-clan, he asked suprised if I knew their sub-clans. I responded very confident that i know them, while I actually know only the name of one particular sub-clan which I remember because Meles Zenawi once mentioned them as the only opposition against his regime. I bluffed and asked him if he is reer X. And he said yes and then we both smiled as I sign of mutual acknowledgement.

I had to hold my grounds now that I had bluffed and pretended to know the O family. I came with my best provocation and said one clan cant have three goverments. He looked suprised, I continued said you guys cant have all of the Somali regional goverments of Kenya, Ethiopia and Azania all together. He understood my point and asked me what is Azania. I told him Ghandi made this regional maamul for Kismaayo and and Jubba's, etc. He said isnt Ghaani dead. Then I told him this guy is called Ghaandi and he was from the O family and took the initiative for a regional administration, etc.

He knew I was waiting for a reply and to my suprise, he said something that really made me think hard and deep and made actually made a lot of sense. He said why cant we think of possibilities in stead of impossibilities and incompressibilities. He said everything is possible and that we just need to think creatively. And start with thinking on how to compromise the uncompramisble, how to achieve what seems unachievable. He said Somali's always start with assuming that diffrent interest and ambitions are conflicting, irreconcilable and incompatible. Their starting point is disagreement and they end always in disagreement.Thats because they assume that there is only one way, one road, one right, one solution, one morality and one winner. This is created by a lack of creativity, narrow horizon, fatalistic vieuw, lack of comprehension, empathy and reality.

I wondered if all those diffrent political vieuws are indeed attainable and achievable at the same time? Can you have Indepedance and Unity at time Somali unity? Can you have a free Somali region in Ethiopia and at the same time appease Ethiopia, can you have dozens of small regional admins(federal states) and at the same time a have a strong and effective central goverment, Can clan X and Y have both full acces to Port Y, while neither of them dominates the other? Can the little resources the country has be shared by so many? Can you have equality while we are not equal? What do you think?

Carafaat, I beg your forgiveness but you come across as a tortured soul. Your attempt to comingle what is mutually exclusive such as love & hate, war & peace is wishful in my humble opinion. There are certain things one can compromise, but sovereignty & religion is not one of them. The restoration of the sovereignty of Somaliland is a fait accompli. The die has been cast; the genie cannot be put back in the bottle. This is something you will have to wrestle with, either you agree or you disagree with the decision. After some careful consideration, you will come to a position you will be comfortable with. Then your ideas on unity, co-operation & familial ties will crystallize and become much clearer.

I notice you`re very much concerned about the fate of Somalia. It is quite natural to want to help and find solutions. The solutions for Somalia are simple. It is to reconcile among first as families, villages, towns, cities, regions and then at the national stage. It is also to practice what our religion tells us about fairness, equality, justice, and above all living with your neighbour in peace. The problem is nobody wants to go this route. Unfortunately, each community in Somalia wants peace at the expense of another. Each community feels if they hold out just a little while longer, they will win the top prize of dominating the rest be it politically or economically. This zero sum game playing out in Somalia has its roots in the previous regime. Every community wants to be the new MOD. Instead of working together, they work against each other. How can you then help a people who are constantly scheming to deceive the other? It is not in the Quran for no reason that Allah only changes the condition of a people unless they change what is in themselves.

You will hear the cry of Somalinimo, the talk of Unity but nothing in terms of actions and deeds. It rings hollow and reminds me of those verses by Qamaan Bulxan:

Baadida ninbaa kula deydeya, daalna kaa badane

Oon doonahayn inaad heshana, daa`in abidkaaye

Dadkuna moodi duul wada dhashoo, wax u dahsoonayne

The farce we`ve come to know as the Somali Reconciliation Confrence, is in full swing right now in Garowe. It appears we are at a turning point in Somalia`s history as of late. Somalis are actually discussing things inside Somalia. It is quite the achievement. Insha Allah, they will build on this step to iron out their differences and take the necessary steps to build lasting peace. The short cuts that have not worked so far will have to end.

In a nutshell Carafaat, what you can do for Somalia is pray that they take ownership of their destiny and not abdicate responsibility for their condition. However, what is not feasible is to tether Somaliland and Somalia together as if they were Siamese twins. You cannot be equal if there is no equality, I`m sorry to say.

Where somali nationalism all began was somaliland, they were the ones went to the south & merged unconditionally in the false belief that we were all one non devisible till death do us apart.They lost everything from the begining..president,prime minister,generals of both police & army,the capital & everything below.Jubouti became independent & reached an agreement with Siyaad to close down Berbera port so theirs be the dominant one in the north.Then the refugees from ethiopia came to the north in 1977 & were armed to cleanse the cities of hargeisa,burao,berbera & the whole north for thmslvs,and the rightful owners exterminated.All these & more are done by the ones we were fighting for,and sadly same entities,sometimes same personalities are in the playing field carrying the somali card today!

Somali nationalism has turned into mechanism to swindle! it's dead...each fend for yourself.If we can cooperate on things we share generally,fine...If we can't, that's fine too.

Carafaat   

Ace of Spadez, brother, tortured I am not but thinking realisticly and practical aint really moonshine and sunflowers either. You say hate and love is mutually exclusive but I beg to disagree. how can love exist when there aint without hate, how can peace exist without war? Sxb, everything is compramisable, the question is what do you get in return for it and is this advantage worth the price?

Concerning Somaliland's sovereignity and if this can go hand in hand with Unity. You say its impossible. I say its not. State souvereignity is theability of a State to having supreme independent authority over its territory. Its powers to rule and make laws in order to guarantee the best interests of its own citizens. So can you be souvereign and at the same time cooperate on foreign policy and thus showing unity to the outside world?

I think this is possible and there numerous examples of such cases and one can always create its own precedent. And actually you have proved my point about if one assumes that diffrent vieuws are incompatible and one being convinced that there is only one way, one road, one right and one solution. Then how can you ever discover those alterning roads to the same destination if the possibility is excluded from the beginning?

Dr_Osman   

If you want to go into history, even though it doesn't matter in todays somalia as the issue is way beyond that and the international community and somalis themselves know that but if you want to talk about history lets talk history. Somaliland never brought the somali nationalism infact they were forced to accept it. Their indepedence day was synched to be in-line with the rest of somalia indepedence day 26th and the 1st.

Secondly Somalia before was 8 regions, somaliland was 2 regions. Obviously power-sharing is going to go to the dominant area and they knew this full-well after-all it was democracy and democracy states majority rules like other democracies.

But today Somalia issues is not about history or borders, that won't solve nothing. Even if somaliland is given indepedence Somalia will still have tribal wars over posts just like it is now. The issue won't just solve because one clan has been given what it want. The issue is way beyond hargeisa and burco and the sooner you understand the better because the international community has tried to tell you guys the truth but you just refuse to accept it because of tribal glory which won't get you anywhere except isolation because noone takes tribal stakeholders to serious that's why Puntland is listened to by international community because they talk like state-man, look at the conference occuring now it's national conference to solve issues of national interest. This not about my tuulo vs your tuulo, or i'll get one post more then you.

You guys have bad policies, it's failed for 20 years its not magically going to work now. Puntland has failed also don't get me wrong were not perfect but when we do fail with our policies we automatically assess the realities on the ground and re-shape our policies.

Our first policy was to take the government of somalia from siyad barre, after that failed due to internal bickering and clan loyalties to siyad barre clan, we re-grouped and shaped our policies again from 91-97 we were very welcoming and accepting of any sort of government even at our expense such as sal-balaar government after we saw that was not working due to internal bickering within the mogadishu faction we switched our politics and created Puntland in 98 and started to call for a federal somalia. Then came ina salad TNG government which we rejected and didnt participate in till he was replaced and Abdullahi Yusuf came and established the TFG. in 2004 which has been established till today 2011. Today we are still trying to change TFG into National Federal Government where its not transitional anymore but established government of somalia where the system can never be changed again like the way we changed the TNG of ina salad.

The likely success of that will be seen in 2012 and if its not well Farole has made it clear waan kala tashan doona which shows that Puntland already knows what it will do if this is not established.

The boys in Hargeisa need to realize the international community wont take your cause serious as long as it is just for small section of Somalia because they don't care about tribal interests, they look at somalia as somalia as a whole and will only deal with stakeholders who do also.

The best thing the hargeisa boys can do is use their ties with the clans of mogadishu and say lets switch the capital to hargeisa, I don't think they would accept that from us I mean u can see just holding the conference in garowe and the outbursts its causing in the mogadishu media and mogadishu parliament. Imagine if we said the capital will be garowe? you see its not good idea but I think hargeisa can pull it off because the mogadishu clan doesnt see them as enemies for whatever reason I dont know

@Osman,QUOTE "somaliland was forced to accept somali natinalism"

I haven't read your article beyond that....whateva the case was,it's a new beginning,go your way & I go my own way....this recognition you keep emphasizing will come in the long run,but it doesn't matter to Joe six pack aka..the ordinary street layman.Now they have peace & much,much better off economically for the first time in 50yrs.When Siyaad was there , there was more than 60 embassies,UN,OAu,Arab league..what did we accomplish & did it matter when people were massacred by the millions!

Abtigiis   

which 'history' is this fake Dr. talking about?

For the secessionists, killing history is not an accident; it is a goal. A goal they have already achieved judging by the warped narrations of brain-washed kids like Abokor Omar (here in SOL).

Carafaat, adeer your words are a little thin and your thoughts are being clouded by selfish emotions. You need re-educational classes to stregthen your Somalilandnimo. In your current mindset you are a sitting duck for the vultures and if you want to know how things will end, ask your elders. Please don't be a social worker in a battlefield..

Carafaat   

Abokor Omar;767184 wrote:
Carafaat, adeer your words are a little thin and your thoughts are being clouded by selfish emotions. You need re-educational classes to stregthen your Somalilandnimo. In your current mindset you are a sitting duck for the vultures and if you want to know how things will end, ask your elders. Please don't be a social worker in a battlefield..

Abokor Omar, you call me emotional, selfish and question my love for Somaliland. Atleast explain how you came to this character analysis or which part of my words you find 'little thin' .

Somalina;767199 wrote:
Carafaat maxaa ka rabtaa awoowe? Kaluun, Jamac Yarre iyo Buubaa miyuu ku soo xasuusiye? kkkkkk

Waxan ka raba inu ka hadlo wax caqli gal ah oo suurta gal ah waxad mooda inu ka hadlo markastaba wax is wada burinaya kuwa magacyada Walwalaan Sita eeh carabowday kuwa wuu dhaamayoo iyago wa lost case Laakin carafaat lagama quusaan lol

Somalina   

lol@lagama quusan. Xoogaa rajo ayuu leeyahay camal yeah. kkkkk

Warkiisa ha laga dhagaysto marka hore, xalbuu buu u raadinaayaa wadankiisa iyo dadkiisa. Dhexda ha loogu yimaado, caga jugleytana halaga daayo inanka. Unionist party in Hargeysa ayuu gudoomiye ku xigeen ka noqon doonaa ee yaan lagu sii fududaanin inanka awoowe.