Sign in to follow this  
A_Khadar

SOMALIA: Unemployment fuels youth exodus from Somaliland

A_Khadar   

SOMALIA: Unemployment fuels youth exodus from Somaliland

IRIN

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A high unemployment rate in the self-declared independent Republic of Somaliland, especially among school-leavers and university graduates, has fuelled an increase in migration, with hundreds of young people embarking every month on a perilous journey to Europe through the Sahara Desert, officials said.

"In the months of August, September and October, about 3,500 young men and women from Somaliland went through Ethiopia, to Sudan, then to Libya and on to cross the Mediterranean Sea on their way to western Europe,” Abdillahi Hassan Digale, chairman of the Ubah Social Welfare Organization, who works for the International Office for Migration (IOM), told IRIN.

According to Somaliland's National Development programme - which was launched in October - total employment (comprising self-employment and paid employment) among the economically active population is estimated at 38.5 percent for urban areas and 59.3 percent for rural and nomadic areas. The weighted average national employment rate is estimated at 52.6 percent.

Unemployment among the youth, which stands at 75 percent, is much higher than the average. Unofficial estimates show that at least 65-70 percent of Somaliland's 3.5 million people are younger than 30.

READ

Somalia   

I find it astonishing that a supposed "functioning" state which has tried to establish itself as a pillar of governance for the rest of Africa can't diversify funds to help its future entrepreneurs.

Thankful   

If our NW Somalia brothers on SOL put more focus on addressing this serious issue, rather than constantly writing about President Sharif or Puntland President Faroole, you would have been able to help improve this unemployment problem.

More so for the Hargeysa Admin, so much effort has been put in reocognition (which in 20 years has not had a single success) that other area's of society have suffered.

Somalia   

Oodweyne;760907 wrote:
^^^And, I find very astonishing that a nation call Somalia, that never stop talking both side of it's mouth where the
"sacredness"
of it's territorial integrity is concern, can't be bothered to noticed when that sacred cow has been voilated and who was the culprit.

And, what is even worse, is that her leader is summoned to go and sign the very deeds of that voilation in other capital; and, still stand like monkey in a zoo for the humilaition of that sort before the very public he was supposed to be their leader of through the media...

Now, you see, dear lad, as to how easy it is for the two us to play this game of
"your-turn-my-turn-past-the-parcel-volleys-of-mutual-contempt"
, to our heart's content's indeed...
:D

That line would work if it hadn't been for the fact that your supposed leader is fictional, his whole status is made up of thin air. He's on par with Igor Smirnov, no not Smirnoff the beverage, the President of another fantasy entity.

Thankful   

I wont accuse you of being obessed with other governments since you are not constantly posting negative news about other regions in Somalia nor will I accuse you of not helping your enclave. But for the rest on here, it seems their obsession is interesting to say the least.

So basically you might feel that A_Khadar is taking a cheap shot, but just take a look at the threads and you will see who rules in the art of cheap shots.

But then again, I understand where they are coming from. Because any news of positive developments or order in Somalia will hurt their secessionists cause. For instance, like I had said yesterday, the argument use to be that he TFG with Aminsom help did not control outside of villa Somalia and now they can welcome heads of state and visit different parts of the city.

STOIC   

Although arguably there are more reasons to critique Somaliland government, this is NOT one that rings a warning bell on the failure of Somaliland government.Whatever the momentary analysis of the resident-Somaliland-pundits, the youth unemployment is a worldwide problem.Such is the case in country like Kenya and many African countries.It becomes glaringly obvious that this is NOT a problem unique to Somaliland.Just take a look at immigrants flooding the big western cities.This are tough times around the world with limited unprecedented prosperity like before....

PS I just witness a distant cousin move all his kids to Somalia last week from here in the states.If it is that bad this guy will NOT have moved his family from the comfort of western city!

Somalia   

I believe my existence in reality far supercedes that of yours in limbo, for 20 years.

Going around the world begging for people to recognize you while you keep producing terrorists for Al-Shabaab to fight in Somalia thereby trying to justify the reasoning for your secession.

Your cruel support for terrorism does not seem to pay off.

Remember, we stayed, you left when things got tough, don't talk about dignity, you've proven why people regard you as naturally weak.

A_Khadar   

Ooda, awoowe, I was expecting more than this from a guru like you instead you are being emotional whenever the family’s alarming issues are revealed. Counter attacking my motivation and SSC as whole shows your tendency of defending the project in any means.

I was more expecting you to tackle and address this fact of the hundreds of NGOs and UN Agencies without their accountability of the donated money and where there about not to mention the corruption and unaccountability of your saint leaders.

Locals ignored

Zainab Ali Mohamed, chair of Marwo Youth Organization, said: "About 104 international NGOs and UN agencies are now working on different projects in Somaliland; but instead of seeking locals to help in implementing the programmes for which they source funds from donors, about 60 percent of their staff are foreigners. This has had a negative impact on Somaliland youth, many of whom are left with no choice but to leave the country in search of a better life."

However, some local NGOs say illegal migration by Somaliland youth decreased in October, compared with August and September 2011.

Ubah’s Hassan said youth migration decreased in October due to increased awareness-raising campaigns by IOM and its Mixed Migration Program partners.

Somalia   

I think your use of polished language might end up confusing you. I said that it shows YOUR naturally weak, not me

Please don't go Sarah Palin on me with the use of too sophisticated grammatical sentences.

No white man knows the difference between someone from your region and someone from mine. The self hatred for your own kind is quite embarrassing and not encouraging at all.

Your region has been known to cater for the white man, not work with him, but to cater for him. That's why the British liked you a lot, they didn't respect you, they liked you, a key difference between the relationship Italian SL had with their protectorate over that of British SL. It's the same reason you roll out a red carpet for a low level diplomat.

Jendayi-hargeysa.jpg

At least in Somaliland they have a proper red carpet you Folks in garowe were spreading some red carpet you deliberitly took from the local mosques in garowe for Sheikh Dalxiis a hotel president very impressive i have to say.

sharif_garowe111.jpg

Somalia   

^^ LOL, finally a post that made me smile and it was a #fail.

Welcoming a recognized Head of State and his Prime Minister is logical.

#Fail, just like your dream of secession.

At least real Head of States walked on ours :D

And his bodyguard or his superior perhaps who is shining with him Mr Mahiga looooooooool

Lool the US secretary of state for African affairs jendaye frazer told Abdilahi yusuf yey to resign and he did as a obedient Puppet so much for a recognized head of state lol

Carafaat   

One of the causes of this issue is that Educational level has increased enourmly the past decade, while at the same time there is a need for less educated labour force. Creating a mismatch in the labour market.

Somalia   

Xaaji Xunjuf;760932 wrote:
And his bodyguard or his superior perhaps who is shining with him Mr Mahiga looooooooool

Lool the US secretary of state for African affairs jendaye frazer told Abdilahi yusuf yey to resign and he did as a obedient Puppet so much for a recognized head of state lol

You think Jendayi Frazer, the one you rolled out a RED CARPET for, a low level diplomat made the decision to to tell Abdullahi Yusuf to resign?

Mashallah, you are a bright boy.

The poster should know that unfortunatly the money meant to create jobs for the youth of Somaliland has instead gone to crooks from his constituency. So if he wants to help the youth of Somaliland could he please inform his leaders to stop being so immoral and cheap.