Sign in to follow this  
Positive

The conflict in Somalia is our own making and perpetuation

Positive   

This topic is related to this one. But I'm interested to know the answer of anyone who could approach it from Islamic perspective.

Here is the content of one of the postings:

It seems to me that the ordinary Somali man and woman, that is you and me, are letting our beloved country, Somalia, to descend into a stinking bottomless rabbit hole but paradoxically still without contingence plans or even vague ideas of how we can salvage ourselves from total social destruction.

As I asserted in the beginning in this thread, in my view, we are in cultural crisis. To say it in a better way we are in cultural transition. In my perspective the conflict in our country is in fact our own making and in a way we are perpetrators but still victims of our actions.

Three main groups which I call: the traditionalist oriented, the Muslim/Arab oriented and the Western oriented are competing. A fourth group which I call the Criminals and confused is mixed in the bowl. The three main groups are vieing for power and they use the fourth group, and also other sympathetic outside countries and groups, as support so that they can realize their goals. Every group believes that their preferred social structure is the one that best suits the country. Their belief that the end justifies the means has brought disregard for human suffering or ethical and religious gaurdlines.

Consequently the weak, women and children have become victims for senseless wars without an end in sight.The misery of our youth which compose the bulge of the fighting forces from all sides is unbearable. The country, its infrastructure and every facet of service to a nation has been systematically under demolishing for no other reason but for competition for status and power between the above mentioned groups.

Every Somali regardless of his/her ideological orientation or tribal lineage and religious status is a mouthpiece and loyal warrior for one of these groups or usually more than one group.

I’m putting the blame of our continuing conflict squarely upon the Somalis.

1) I’m I right?

2) Is there a midle path where all three groups

could meet?

Your contributions are welcome.

The Awakener2

Nur   

Positive bro.

A good question is half the answer. I have read both this piece and the link above and its replies. I believe that you are either knowingly avoiding to pose the right question or are missing the main culprit that is causing the conflict in Somalia today.

A bumper sticker on a car reads " Jesus is the answer" one wonders, what was the question?

I can only address your question from an Islamic perspective ( I am Muslim and this is Islam Page)

Our problems as a nation stem from our collective sins against Allah by rejecting his Sovereignty and hence His Supreme law. Unless we undo that collective sin, we are doomed, the West will not be able to help a people cursed by their maker.

Islam is the Only code of life for all humankind . In Allah's eyes there is no other acceptable code of life to live by,( Inna diina cinda Allahi Al Islam) anyone who chooses any other code of life other than Islam, it will not be accepted from him/her ( Wa man yabtaghi gheyral Islami diinan, fa lan yuqbal minhu wa huwa fil aakhirati minal khaasiriin)

Our ancestors have accepted this great faith shortly after its advent, it flourished and reached all Somalis to the point that Somalis are known to be 100% Muslims ( Minus Cara and Johnny Boy) unfortunately our ancestors failed to pass the Islamic values that they have accepted to their descendants. This is the crux of the problem today.The Islamic revival that is sweeping the nation is a correction mechanism to put our people back on their Islamic track, and Alhamdulillah, our nation, despite all the difficulties and the tag teams working against their choice of true Islam, are adopting their long lost Islamic identity.

Everywhere I go, I see the Islamic symbolism of our dignified women in the Hijab, proud of their identity as Muslims. Wallahi, I am emotionally moved by the sight of our women in Hijab, to me by wearing that dignified Hijab, they are a walking billboard advertising the true freedom of the soul over the body, they have lifted the veil on their minds by wearing it on their bodies. Somali women have led the way, defying western norms and setting the standard of truly liberated women, raising kids with morals, our hope for the future of Somalia.

I don't know where you live brother, but Somalia today is a far cry from your classification of your suggested four distinct groups. If you travel in Somalia from Berbera to Kismayo, all you'd see is a non erasable stamp of Islam on faces and places. True, there are still islands and pockets of ignorance here and there, but traditionalists back home as well as Western wannabees back home are an endangered species to be listed with World Federation Of Wildlife, except for the ( Dhaqan celis kids and , Camel boys and goat herding girls scattered in the vast wilderness of our land).

The main problem we face in Somalia today is western intervention in domestic affairs of Somalia. If Somalia is left alone, the traitors in our midst will not be able to do any harm anymore, and they will be rehabilitated at eNuri drug rehabilitation Centers. I assure you that there will be no problems, Islam will rule the land and peace will flourish just like we have seen briefly in 2006.

Nur

Positive   

Brother Nur,

Very good answer from Islamic perspective. Although I may differ with you on certain points still I understand and respect your thoughts.

I'm aware that I have not mentioned the fact that the USA and its friends have in their part to blame for our conflict and its perpetuation but I have done that for a reason. We seldom put the blame where it belongs namely on ourselves. We mostly find escape goats.

I have no doubt that the Americans and their foreign friends have been primary and illegal participants in our conflict but for whose side? Surely on the side of like minded Somalis among us who believe that the western way of Life is the best and most beneficial socio-economic system. Conversely the upholders of the Islamic way of Life have been receiving help from other quarters and consequently that is why the war rages.

Btw. I know where you are coming from and thanks for your contribution but what I'm trying now is to look our conflict from detached point of view and then explore if there are others who can share that perspective with me. What I'm thinking is "from birds eye perspective may be there are new solutions to be found".

You surely understand me now.

The Awakener2

Malika   

The disease is within us, its an internal illness that is eating away our senses of moral and justice. Just visit any Somali Political forums to witness how the devils whispers are truly spreading fitna,within each other.

Inshaallah will come back to this,later!

Positive   

Sister malika,

Thanks for your insight.

I think many of us have not clear idea of what doing good deeds means and what bad actions means. Even when the difference is known and clear for the person he may not be aware that he has a choice. Other times it is a blind following of the herd.

We are all in the school of life and an optimist will say that in time, including after life, everyone learns his lesson.

The Awakener2

Positive   

previously posted by Malik

The disease is within us, its an internal illness that is eating away our senses of moral and justice. Just visit any Somali Political forums to witness how the devils whispers are truly spreading fitna,within each other.

And may be a feeling of self righteousness of individual groups.

The Awakener2