Sign in to follow this  
Abti

Somalis- Image Rehab Needed

Abti   

Whenever I turn on the news and see a piece about Somalia, it's either about how we're terrorist fanatics and sympathizers (Al-Shabaab), thieves (pirates), lawless (warlords), incompetent (TFG + 19 other failed governments), starving (famine), etc.

My question is, when was the last time we saw any positive news article about Somalis establishing anything anywhere in the world? Surely out of a nation of 10+ million, we must have intellectuals, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, etc. Lakiin why don't we ever hear about them in the media? I mean, the most famous Somalis are Ayan Hersi (Islam-hater...no wonder she gets so much airtime) and Waris Dirie for her crusade against FGM, which also portrays us in a barbaric light.

I guess my question is, is it because violence and brutality of different shades and textures is all we have to offer the world? Or is it cuz of disingenuous reporting by the media where they only cover our shortcomings? Where are our longcomings?! lol

omar12   

if it bleeds it leads, the media rarely ever focuses on good thing they want sensation head line and titles, nothing sells better then wars and terrorism. The people going around building schools and orphanages never get the kind of attention that the people who blow themselves up get.

Yunis   

we deserve every bit of negative slander from the media....

Stop playing media victim card here - those that victimize each other don't deserve to be treated with respect.......