Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Kenya' s Desires to Demarcate Somalia's ' Exclusive Economic Zone'

N.O.R.F   

If I read the article correctly parliament voted on the new road map without contesting provision no. 2 “All transitional constitutional institutions of the country, i.e., presidency, parliament, and government, have no power to change, alter or discuss Somali water, airspace, and land territory borders.” This meant:

The T.F.P.’s decision, reached on October 8, was followed on October 11 by its approval by the cabinet of Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government (T.F.G.), which declared that it would no longer negotiate the issue of the country’s territorial waters within the framework of the Roadmap, which calls for a resolution of that issue by December 19, 2011.

Subsequently, when they realised they should have read the document before they voted on it, they decided to come up with a remedy through:

On October 8, the T.F.P. acted, passing its ban on discussion of the E.E.Z. by any of the transitional institutions. The six-point directive also affirmed the 1988 law of the sea, nullified all agreements and memoranda of understanding signed by Somali officials since 1991 concerning the country’s territorial waters (countering Kenya’s claims), declared that any attempt to reduce Somalia’s territorial waters would constitute an act of war, ordered the T.F.G. to transmit the T.F.P.’s directive to regional and international states and organizations, and declared: “Anyone who violates this decision commits high treason.”

On October 11, the T.F.G.’s cabinet accepted the T.F.P.’s decision and moved to reject any references to Somalia’s E.E.Z. in the Roadmap. A cabinet press release said that a panel of experts led by fisheries minister Ibrahim had presented a report to the cabinet on the E.E.Z. issue, that the report had been discussed fully, and that the cabinet had decided to “remove from all documents, such as the National Security and Stabilization Plan and the Roadmap, issues concerning the sea, such as the E.E.Z.”

It is too early to tell whether or not the T.F.P.’s action on Somalia’s territorial waters will remove the issue from the Roadmap process. By October 15,the T.F.G.’s president, Sh. Sharif Sh. Ahmed, had not signed the directive.

The incompetence is staggering. I suppose thats what happens when dimwits are at the table sitting with seasoned con artists representing various interest groups. I'm not having a go at Somalia here. Actually, I am but this can easily happen in SL and PL. When will we see the end of the appointment of yes men and actually have real politicians? Clear communications between all departments. A Clear strategy all are aware of? At the moment its a case of each minister doing and signing what he is told to.

ps this isn't the reason for Kenya crossing the border. They already have Somalia by the kahuunas on this......

Whether this report sheds light to the reasons as to why Kenya is in Somali or not, the fact of the matter is that Kenya is in Somalia for its own interests and purely for its sole agenda. They cannot get rid off AS nor will they weaken them but will only derail the process of weakening them.

If any home grown terror/militia element can be eradicated by a foreign force, Afghanistan would have been peaceful by now.

NGONGE   

Abtigiis;752322 wrote:
Fickle zealot, put differently. Whatever! But only fools mistake intransigence with principled persistence. It is something our nomadic culture encourages. If a Nobel award was to be given for stubbornness, Che would have been an acclaimed laureate not an angry nomad exchanging salvos with a Xaji from Baligubadle, itself from the fringes of Somaliland. I can understand if hurt pride and anger dictates our reaction to the Kenyan deception (with the blessing of Mahiga’s UN) on the sea front, but I fail to see how genuine nationalistic feeling about infringement on sovereignty can be relevant when the issue is about foreign troops entering Somalia. As we speak, Puntland and Somaliland are under the command of Addis Ababa, some areas of central Somalia are occupied by Ethiopian army, Liyu police in Somali region can enter and kill civillians at will in Buuhoodle. What is new about Kenya entering Somalia? The TFG itself is an instantiation of loss of sovereignty. If at all, I believe we can stomach short-term shame for a better day if the incursion contributes to the weakening of Alshabab in the south. This is not to reverse my rejection of this incursion, it is merely to state the reality in an honest manner. My position for now is determined by pride and therefore I say no to Kenyan attack; but let us not fool ourselves there is sovereignty to keep in Somalia today.
The right analogy is the seasoned bedhopper woman who moans hard and feigns pain to convince an amateur lover of her virginity!

Finally! A brilliant breakthrough for you, saaxib. Very few Somalis (and hardly any of the present company) are able to believe two such ideas at the same time. You still remain a typical nationalist. :D

NGONGE   

^^ Like the insured man who caught a theif burgling his house said "I strongly disagree with what you're doing, laakin iska wado" You too are accepting that the Kenyan incursion will help in weakning (or even defeating) Al Shabab and at the same time rejecting this same Kenyan invasion as a matter of principle. This is the proper politics that kept Mubarak, Qadaafi et al in power for decades, saaxib (reject, strongly oppose and condemn but let things happen anyway). ;)

Abtigiis   

NGONGE;752525 wrote:
^^ Like the insured man who caught a theif burgling his house said "I strongly disagree with what you're doing, laakin iska wado" You too are accepting that the Kenyan incursion will help in weakning (or even defeating) Al Shabab and at the same time rejecting this same Kenyan invasion as a matter of principle.

Not as a matter of principle, as a matter of pride. I have made that clear. It is the heart over the head as the cliche goes. And I agree I am not making sense there.

NGONGE   

^^ No, no. You are making perfect sense. When it comes to "pride" (or principle) one must only pay it lip service but still remain pragmatic (unless, of course, the expidency coincides with pride). Bal dadkan kale yaa o sheega.

What NGONGE needs to know is that opposing foreign invasion comes naturally to Prof. Abtigiis. Despite NGONGE's intellectual tickling, the good Professor is holding strong against the weak rationalization coming from some of the posters here.

In the long term, Kenya will lose this one big. I wish I could say that Somalis will win big as well. But they may never will.

NGONGE   

^^ I mock him and you patronise him. Luckily for you, he's able to piroritise his battles and is turning a blind eye to your patronising. Lakin A&T naga daa, saaxib. He usually can speak for himself. Adiga taada la kaalay and tell me how would you place the Kenyan offensive (in rank order) when compared to the threat of Al Shabab, the joke that is TFG and all the other Somali problems? (this, fortunatly, is a topic far off from any clan bias, which may enable you to come up with an actual sincere argument). Bal soo daa waxaad maskaxda ku walaaqday, adeer. :D

^^Waayadan fahmo darro aanan kugu ogeyn baad lasoo baxday, NGONGE. Prof. Abtigiis, wuxuu yiraahdo inta badan waa i dhacaan, waayadaanna si gaara bayba ii galaan. Aniga iyo asagu si baan isku xignaa awoowe :D

Taasi waa taa, ee si fiican u qaniin waryaa.

Tan kale, hawshii SSC, oo dhaqso laguu baray baaban isla keeni waynaye, ma u malaynaysaa inaan tan Kismaayo ku heshiinayno :D

NGONGE   

Heh. OO arintu ma Kismaayay aheed? My bad. Waxan is lahaa Kenya uun ayuu odaygo diidsanyahay. Ileen xaafadahaaga la ag marayaay. Hadaba iga raali aho, adeer. Waxay aheed in aan "map" eego intaanan hadlin (and forget the sincere argument now). :D

Abtigiis   

I empathise with Ngonge whenever he picks a debate with Xinnfanin on Somali issues. The horseman, being a man of big books and experiences when it comes to Somalia, trashes Ngonge who is clearly the undisputed underdog in this duels. It is always excruciating, as one feels the agony of watching a body-builder smashing the skull of a nice jolly kid into the wall, as Ngone is busy picking sand with the yet unbroken hand to throw at the eyes of the dominant man who is tormenting him.

Xinnfanin is right. We do tend to hold many similar views on many issues. There is only the small matter of carnal stories he doesn't like about me, and I have since reassured him it won't get graphic as the first days of my entry to this forum. He understands and is a closet admirer of this tales.:D :D It is what Ngonge said earier, and you need to do a lip service to things of principle but must let them go on. :D

^^:D :D :D @you need to do a lip service to things of principle but must let them go on

^^That I STRONGLY disagree Prof. Abtigiis, and you know it.

Waryaa NGONGE, xaafaduhu soo dalkayga maaha? :D Seriously, Kenya's invasion won't succeed just like the Ethiopian invasion did not work. The Somali conflict is a Somali hence needs a Somali solution. If the world is serious about it, TFG must be helped to do this.