Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

The Reality about Somaliland and Somalia

The Zack   

Jb asagaa laga dhaadhiciyay you are from different country now he is trying to.convince everybody else that he is indeed from a diff country lol.

Btw what is up with the Egyptian national emblem? Maybe they should use the American eagle instead if there is no originality there.

ailamos   

SomaliNationalist;749238 wrote:
We will never give our nothern regions indepedence, you will always be a part of Somalia like it or not. The world is not going to give a poor and backward region lead by drunken tribalists regonization.

Here we go.

Although I would like to see a unified Somali nation, it's not necessarily a bad thing if there are two political Somali entities. I once had a Malaysian professor who told us about the story of how Singapore separated from Malaysia. It's a situation not unlike Somaliland/Somalia where Singapore became independent first, then joined the Malaysian Federation. But because of certain differences in ideology between the leaders (as well as some Chinese/Malay conflicts), Singapore separated from the Federation. Now, Malaysia being the larger and more powerful of the two, could have insisted on a unified peninsula, after all both Malaysia and Singapore have intertwined history and culture, but on the contrary, Malaysia voted unanimously to expel Singapore from the Federation in order to avoid bloodshed and animosity. According to my professor, the moral of the story was that neighboring nations mutually benefit one another, so if your neighbor prospers, then you will prosper as well (Read further: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/09/news/09iht-edbowring.html).

Now, since the reality on the ground, presently at least, is that Somalilanders wants to remain independent, then we should work towards that because peace and stability in Somaliland can help stabilize the rest of Somalia. Besides, the idea of Dual Citizenship is genius. It has worked in case of Northern Ireland, where people there can have both British and Irish citizenship, if they choose to. Having free movement of people between Somalia and Somaliland will enhance commercial activity.

So, all this this adamant nationalism makes no sense to me. If there is a potential of more economic benefit to have two political entities and there is dual citizenship, then why insist on one political entity and the prospect of more infighting between the north and the south?

ailamos

Singapore was a majority chinese nation while Malaysia was majority Malay, those two groups don't share anything and are historical enemies, its like asking the somalis and Amharas to share a country! but the somalis in Hargeysa don't have any reason to secede other than their tribe! if their tribe can get their own country why not Puntland? or Gal-mudug? or Hiraan state? what was once the borders of british Somaliland is not longer legally, the people of Sool are aganist the criminal marfish project known as somaliland they are supporting a united Somalia, 50% of Sanaag is supporting Puntland, the Awdal people are being suppressed by the facist SNM regime. This is nothing but one somali clan trying to act like they are a nation.

ailamos   

SomaliNationalist;749244 wrote:
Singapore was a majority chinese nation while Malaysia was majority Malay, those two groups don't share anything and are historical enemies

I see what you're saying but, you're missing the big picture, Malaysia has the same ethnic composition as Singapore i.e. Chinese, Malay, and Indians. If they are "historical enemies", then how have they built two stable countries and are economic success stories?

There are countries with the same linguistic and cultural base that are separate political entities, a classic example being Germany and Austria. There are also Arab countries, namely in the Persian/Arabian Gulf, who share linguistic, tribal and a cultural heritage but are different political entities.

The fact of the matter is that reconciliation cannot be made by force.

why do you not use all the nations who have achieved ,wealth,prosperity, power, unity, because of their ethnic nationalism as Role Models nations like Japan and China instead of unrealistic multiethnic countries like Singapore and Malaysia?

Abdul   

They are trying to shove "we are a country" down our throats.Im having a sore throat already.Tylenol anyone???

ailamos   

SomaliNationalist;749273 wrote:
why do you not use all the nations who have achieved ,wealth,prosperity, power, unity, because of their ethnic nationalism as Role Models nations like Japan and China instead of unrealistic multiethnic countries like Singapore and Malaysia?

How are Malaysia, Singapore, Austria, and Germany unrealistic?

Like I said earlier, if there is a way to convince Somalilanders to join a Somali Federation, then I am all for it, I would actually prefer that. However, I am not one to forcibly keep people in a union they don't want.

You do not have to accept somaliland , if you don't accept the reality on the ground they won't accept you markaa dayoo ha dhakhleyso cidi caano ka qubanaysanu eegi eh.

Carafaat   

ailamos;749241 wrote:
Here we go.

Although I would like to see a unified Somali nation, it's not necessarily a bad thing if there are two political Somali entities. I once had a Malaysian professor who told us about the story of how Singapore separated from Malaysia. It's a situation not unlike Somaliland/Somalia where Singapore became independent first, then joined the Malaysian Federation. But because of certain differences in ideology between the leaders (as well as some Chinese/Malay conflicts), Singapore separated from the Federation. Now, Malaysia being the larger and more powerful of the two, could have insisted on a unified peninsula, after all both Malaysia and Singapore have intertwined history and culture, but on the contrary, Malaysia voted unanimously to expel Singapore from the Federation in order to avoid bloodshed and animosity. According to my professor, the moral of the story was that neighboring nations mutually benefit one another, so if your neighbor prospers, then you will prosper as well (Read further:
).

Now, since the reality on the ground, presently at least, is that Somalilanders wants to remain independent, then we should work towards that because peace and stability in Somaliland can help stabilize the rest of Somalia. Besides, the idea of Dual Citizenship is genius. It has worked in case of Northern Ireland, where people there can have both British and Irish citizenship, if they choose to. Having free movement of people between Somalia and Somaliland will enhance commercial activity.

So, all this this adamant nationalism makes no sense to me. If there is a potential of more economic benefit to have two political entities and there is dual citizenship, then why insist on one political entity and the prospect of more infighting between the north and the south?

a sensible voice and practical approach. With this kind of thinking we could solve so many of the issue's within the Somali community.

I salute you, mon frere.

Thankful   

You want to talk about reality?

Time and time again, regardless of who comes to office the TFG leader of Somalia is the one that represents Somalia from our (Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti - border).

One thing is for certain, Somalia had far darker days and now the TFG controls all of Mogadishu - so much so that the first non-African head of state made a visit.

IMG_8326-515x343112.jpg

Even during Somalia's darkest day's when the TFG couldn't step foot in Mogadishu or even before that when the government couldnt leave a foreign country; your secessionist tribal group was unable to gain a single country to recognize them or have make any gains in being recognized.

You have missed your chance - if you couldnt do it when the TFG was at it's weakest, you will never do it when it is continously gaining more legitimacy......as it is today.

Carafaat   

Thankful;749413 wrote:
You want to talk about reality?

Time and time again, regardless of who comes to office the TFG leader of Somalia is the one that represents Somalia from our (Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti - border).

One thing is for certain, Somalia had far darker days and now the TFG controls all of Mogadishu - so much so that the first non-African head of state made a visit.

IMG_8326-515x343112.jpg

Even during Somalia's darkest day's when the TFG couldn't step foot in Mogadishu or even before that when the government couldnt leave a foreign country; your secessionist tribal group was unable to gain a single country to recognize them or have make any gains in being recognized.

You have missed your chance - if you couldnt do it when the TFG was at it's weakest, you will never do it when it is continously gaining more legitimacy......as it is today.

People from Mogadishu will never forget those dark days when Abdullahi Yusuf (with many here chearleaders celebrating) brougth 30.000 Ethiopian troops and sluaghtered innocent people and destroyed the city which was back then just pacified by the Islamic Courts under the leadership of the current Sheick Shariif. Who is again rebuilding and pacifying the city destroyed by Abdullahi Yussuf and Ethiopians, who paved the road for Al Shabaab.