Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

ONLF struggle: A Creative Response to a Certian Extermination

Abtigiis   

Eduardo Galeano’s Book “We Say No” is a tale of a leftist Latino, heart-broken by the epochal setbacks of radical nationalism in Latin America, trying to cope with the demise of his verities through vain denials and by assaulting an apparently indestructible Imperialism with mere words. It is a book that reminds me of my own agonizing nostalgia for a political construct that never left the womb of its mother in the first place. But if romanticism describes what I feel of my own quest for an elusive high-minded ideal every time I take pen to chase a fugitive Somaliweyn, eternal pride and self-belief defines what I feel when I reflect on the courageous struggle of ONLF against seemingly impregnable Ethiopian colonialism.

This is not a tale of SNM outfits fighting a weak and demoralized army of a dictator in its last legs, perforated by internal divisions and corruption as rancorous clan militias close in from all corners – North, Center and South. The bylines are that of a tiny and poorly equipped nomadic guerillas steadfastly fighting against one of the best trained and mightiest armies in Africa. The contrast can’t be finer, the comparisons incongruous.

For nearly two decades, men armed with determination and unyielding devotion for freedom fought Ethiopia’s army valley to valley, mountain to mountain, village to village and managed not only to survive, but to score significant military triumphs which solidified their political weight and standing in the international arena. Resilience and courage are the hallmarks of the ONLF. It is a history of stolid, defiant struggle against colonial domination - black colonial domination without morals, without diminution.

Yet, ahistorical political bloggers and denialists strive to zoom on the tail and not the head of the struggle, by deflecting attention from the centrality of colonial conquest and continuing suppression ever since to ONLF deficiencies and Somali disarray. These hypocrites who wish to justify the inaction of some sections of the Somaligalbeed people at the expense of ONLF bashing are the same ones who deride the concept of Somalinimo when the discussion goes beyond the border towards Somalia proper.

They know what has led to the erosion of that vision, they know the current situation of each community, they know Shinille will not rise unless Djibouti rises and they know Harshin will remain treasuer-hunter of ONLF sympathizers as long as Silaanyo has a direct phoneline to Addis Ababa. Yet, they hide behind ONLF’s non-inclusivity to rationalize their indifference as if they are forbidden by a court of law from fighting aggression by their own. That is if they feel there is an aggression against them, which is not always the case.

When they are pushed hard, the real motives come out as they argue the 21st century is not for armed rebellion and that it is in the interest of the Somaligalbeed people to accept the generosity of Abyssinian rulers. You don’t get straight answers; instead what you see is the Boetheus factor at work, where failed politics turns to philosophy for consolation. Suddenly, globalization appears on the agenda, multiculturalism becomes the fad as if a man whose sister is raped in his face and a wife whose husband is lynched on broad daylight prioritize trendy ideas over justice and deliverance. If ONLF is fighting for a clan, that by itself, doesn’t invalidate the legitimacy of its struggle, the morality of its cause. That is why talk of ONLF being a clan entity, while true, can't wrong the rightness of the struggle.

But, this is not to absolve ONLF of blame. In fact the front is blighted with poor leadership, foggy vision, narrow-minded political programme, and disgusting label. Without a change of policy and strategy, redefinition of its goal and broadening its support base, it will suffer stagnation, internal atrophy and eventual death. Not all just struggles succeed. Not all resilient people win.

The immediate solution lies in it changing its name, reaching out to like-minded Somaligalbeed people (not by admitting them into a club ONLF owns but on the basis of equality) and by broadening the geographical scope of the armed struggle. For this, it needs leadership whose focus is on the bigger picture, on the enemy, and not on maintaining clan hegemony and franchise over the struggle. The current breed of leaders are not equipped to provide this leadership, which is why a renewal is a must. The ONLF also must reach out to other Ethiopian armed groups such as the OLF and Ginbot 7, and must be flexible enough to accept any political settlement which yields substantive rights to the people of Somaligalbeed. This settlement should not be with TPLF, who cannot be trusted. The concept of a phased approach to self-determination must be adopted when compromise becomes the only game.

The warped narrations about the ONLF are not unique to it. Falsehoods go uncorrected — not for decades, or even centuries but forever, in the histories of the underdog everywhere; which is why the ONLF history is still to be captured and written in its original recipe. One such falsehood was the recent ‘peace deals’ by entrepreneurial sheikhs. For a miserable people fighting an Ethiopia made big by the borrowed might of the West, even such ‘peace’ means war.

I will end this note by quoting from Galeano. He said “creativity is an age-old response to human anguish and the certainty of death". The ONLF’s way of struggle is a creative response to a certain extermination that will ensue, if colonialism is not confronted. Hail the heroes!

The Zack   

Well said, AT&T! I heard the good admiral once respond to the crappy concern of "It is only only one tribe that is fighting, the front has a clan name and therefore I am not supporting", and you know what he said? He said: "Haddii Maakhir ay Yemen xoog ku qabsato oo qabiilada kobtaas dega mid ka mid ah uu dagaal ku bilaabo Yemen-ta dhulkooda qabsatay kadibna ay la baxaan "W******(their qabiil name) National Liberation Front" oo ay ayagoo qabiil bes ah dagaalkaas galaan, AS A SOMALI, I would fully support them!". Why wouldn't he, after all it is Somali vs Yemeni. It is not easy to see the big picture or is it? The land is under effing occupation, who cares about how the fight is implemented as long as the Xabashis are being kicked out! I know I don't.

This is not a tale of SNM outfits fighting a weak and demoralized army of a dictator in its last legs, perforated by internal divisions and corruption as rancorous clan militias close in from all corners – North, Center and South. The bylines are that of a tiny and poorly equipped nomadic guerillas steadfastly fighting against one of the best trained and mightiest armies in Africa.

Goor maad wax baran niyow ? ,,, :D

Dabrow   

Everyone who rejects ONLF for the name is qabilist himself.

I support anyone who will liberate occupied somali soil. Their name has no relevance, its their cause.

Abtigiis   

ONLF and SL government are not in good terms, mainly because the regime in Hargeisa wants this hostility to gratify Addis Ababa. The issues of contention could have been solved long time ago if SL leaders have power to make own decisions. Sadly the Tigre Ambassador in Haregysa is more powerful than Siilanyo, so there is no point in pursuing any negotiations with SL.

Xaaji, waa talo quman, laakin SL waxay u bahantahay dad ka xoreeya Tigreega. I heard Gaboose wuxuu isu casilay markay wiilashii xafiiska wasaarada daakhliga ka cashaqynayey ay more accountable to the Tigre man in Haregisa than to him. What is happening in Hargeisa is shame.

Somaliland wants recognition because they want to be free of Ethiopian influance and if you are against that abtigis you actually more of a tigray supporter than any on else. Sl leaders are not the problem its those who oppose somaliland for selfish or clanish reasons. Meles wanted 3 guys out of siilaanyos cabinet gaboose muhammad hashi and the somaliland. Minister of religious affairs Siilaanyo told the ambassador if he ever makes such a statement again he will be expelled from somaliland. And gaboose resigned because he wants to starts his own party and he wants to be sl next president

Abtigiis   

A rogue test of a girl's worth, in school days, was to smack her hunging buttocks and see how she reacts. If it is a grin, one proceeds to the breasts without asking for permission or worrying about a backlash. For a President of a so-called independent and democratic country to be asked by a host diplomat to fire this or that minister is the last stage of previously endured several back slapping. Look at the disrespect, the humiliation. In this case, not of doing it, but the contempt of being asked.

Abtigiis   

Xaaji,

Abti, I know I inherited my daftness from you, but you still should have got the school boy's analogy. :D :D The issue is why would the Ethiopians even dare to say that! Isn't that a measure of their contempt for the adminstration? Afterall, they even used to check Rayaale's luggage at Bole Airport like any other passenger.

Bad policy out there .....

If you can't maintain good relationship with Somaliland then u don't have to scream if Xabashis did it .... after all it is a gap you created for them.

Responding to abtigiis is like choosing between the devil & demon, either way you'r not somali if not contribute to his strange way of thinking!,and if you try to rebut his excesses you probably step on too many otha toes(inncocent somalis you don't wish harm).Why trivialize SNM or anyone else If concerned about OLF & really wana help thm.Why unnecessarily make enemies for thm & not appeal first to somaligalbeed & then to all somalis.

Are you putting the last nail in the coffin!?

NGONGE   

They know what has led to the erosion of that vision, they know the current situation of each community, they know Shinille will not rise unless Djibouti rises and they know Harshin will remain treasuer-hunter of ONLF sympathizers as long as Silaanyo has a direct phoneline to Addis Ababa. Yet, they hide behind ONLF’s non-inclusivity to rationalize their indifference as if they are forbidden by a court of law from fighting aggression by their own. That is if they feel there is an aggression against them, which is not always the case.

So yet again Clan Is Everything but your clan should be excused because it is fighting an "outsider" (for lack of another description)? :D

Pretedning to aknowledge the shortcomings of the ONLF does not exonorate you from blame or wave those faults away, saaxib. If you accept such faults then you must also include the consequences of such faults on surrounding clans and concede that your interests do clash and will clash unless a middle ground is found (this is without the Ethiopians or Zack's Yemanis being brought into the equation).

So, come on, write this thread off as being one of "loud thinking" and come back again with something more reasonable.

p.s.

I know you try to be objective my friend but mixing with the wrong type of Somalis has messed up your understanding of objectivity ninyaho. Starting a thread where you bash every Somali group in the name of your crazy unity makes you an equal opportunities abuser but never would it be viewed as objective in the eyes of any sensible, normal and logical person (Somalis, on the whole, are usually excused from the last three adjectives). :D

Abtigiis   

Ngonge,

You are a sharp fella,but sharpness doesn't cover for shallowness in Somali clan historigraphy. Of course, I excuse that. it is not your fault. It is not like I am chiding you for getting Arab history wrong. :D :D

On the subject, the sad irony is that while ONLF’s mistake (name, lack of clear vision, strategy) could be a problem, fixing these problems doesn’t guarantee an automatic turn in how the other Somalis perceive it. There is no “I” in the label SNM, but everybody knew it was an “I”- movement. Likewise, ONLF may at best get symbolic rather than substantive gains from correcting its mistakes at present time. We have the precedent of the famous “Sii-galbeed” in 1977.

No wonder those mistakes, as grave as they are, may not be fatal by themselves. But they will cost ONLF politically, as ONLF supporters are actually spending 80% of their time defending or rationalizing its name to other Somalis rather than focus on building consensus on the real issue which is colonial occupation and the need and benefits of fighting it.

Therefore, I can confidently say the current disarray along clan lines has very little to do with ONLF policies, because there is no evidence that things will change if ONLF changes all that its detractors are asking for. The disunity is a natural outcome of the colonizers divide and rule polices, low political consciousness among all including ONLF, and the legacy of the clan polarization in Somalia.

But instead of complain that the other Somalis are not going to do this or that and therefore cling to a divisive name, they should have adopted the inclusive Somaligalbeed name. That, at least, would have allowed those of us who are not keen in standing on a podium with a clan insignia, to throw themselves at the front and publicly mobilize other Somalis, all time chanting “we Somalis”. Many ONLF supporters actually believe the name Oga.denia is a historical name and think they are not thinking of a specific clan when talking about this homeland. The sad truth is no one else –except the O clan, identifies with this name and therefore it should be discarded or the geography it represents must be redefined so that the concern of other clans about an impending clan hegemony is mitigated.

But, nothing justifies the back-stabbing and the glee some sections of the Somali people express when news of ONLF setbacks is announced. Nothing in Somalinimo, in humanity can justify tolerating human suffering.

Starting a thread where you bash every Somali group in the name of your crazy unity makes you an equal opportunities abuser but never would it be viewed as objective in the eyes of any sensible, normal and logical person (Somalis, on the whole, are usually excused from the last three adjectives).

Objectivity and Somali has never shared a room togather. He who expects it from a Somali should get upset when it doesn't come. Not me!

Burahadheer,

I am not trivializing SNM struggle. On its own, it was a David Vs Goliath duel. But it is not in the same league as the one ONLF is currently facing. We need to be honest about some facts. Setting up training camps in Aware and Jigjiga, with a reliable supply of arms and ammunitions from Harar's 3rd revoloutionary command is different to crossing the seas, sneaking thrugh mountains and losing men on the way. Having your commanders strategize in RAS Hotel in Dire Dawa is not the same as having your supporters arrested in Hargaisa, and all over Somalia. Without base, without friendly neighbours, the ONLF has managed to survive. I know SNM was mulling a surrender before things took a dramatic turn with the quick deterioration of Siyad's military, largely as a part and parcel of state instiutions that were in perpetual collapse from 1978 onwards.