Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Complacancy among Muslims in Islamic countries

N.O.R.F   

Having observed a strange but true characteristic among muslims in a country i have barely lived in for 3 months, i have come to a sad conclusion that many of our brothers and sisters have become somewhat content. It is evident in arab countries that many people are simply going through the motions without the feeling or conviction. I'm not saying there are 'better' muslims living the west. but the 'believers' in the west seem to be striving while here people have taken much for granted.

Can you beieive we were performing salatal tahajud in one single row (which wasnt even complete) during the final days of Ramadan. At this point i was almost in tears and wished i was back in the UK where the mosques would be nearly full.

You also witness all this in the general conduct of people who are rushing in and out of the masjid for prayers rather than taking their time. You walk up and down the malls and realise that many people in the middle east are attracted to everything american. I once declined to sit with someone in starbucks. He was surprised at my reasoning as he had never know this plus i have coffee at home i hardly ever drink. The teenagers are pro-hiphop.

Now with all this comes thoughts of just how much do they 'really' know about the west and its ways?

We (myself and co-worker) recently had a debate with a few brothers about the banning of eating/drinking and smoking in open areas (streets/malls etc) during the month of Ramadan aimed at non-muslims. We argued that this wasnt necessary as you should be strong in you faith and fast without being tempted even if one is eating infront of you. They disagreed. This became a huge debate in all the local media.

Another thing is the open acceptance of taking and receiving interest which is just unbelievble.

Things like this have made on think. Yes it easier for me to live here and become a better muslim but at the same time my surroundings are not what i expected but i will carry on. Next stop is saudi Arabia but i think this will be more difficult to convince others of :D

Not one to judge but hey

ps excuse my spelling errors

Hello North, how are you? Good I hope. I’ve actually been wondering what happened to you and why you left us without any updates for a while. Its always good to read your annotations and adventures in the place I called home for yrs.

Now, on your observation… I’m inclined to disagree with you a little. :D .

I find people in Muslim countries to be chilled and at ease with religion. It’s a way of life after all, not a set of rituals to be performed with utmost perfection and precision. Everyone is a Muslim and although people have evidently different levels of iimaan, they treat each other with a lot of respect and brotherly love.

In contrast, I find Muslims in the west to be too concerned with their outward appearances and reputation (something they have to work on all the time) and less with their inner Islam. They just don’t seem at ease with who they are as Muslims and are judgmental about the ‘Islam’ of others – something that constantly shocks me.

p.s. The Muslimnimo is KSA will have u running back to London in a heartbeat. LoL. Dont try it. :D

That is a little sad. But you have to realize that even in a seemingly ‘devote’ Muslim country there are going to be their share of many, many, many people who don't care about Islam, those who are atheists, and still many others who view it as a tradition handed down from generation to generation. It has become culture to them, something to claim in name because their forefathers believed in it, they wouldn’t know much about Islam if you sit down and have a talk with them. And that shouldn't be surprising because every religion has their fanatics, steadfast believers, the lazy ones, and the lowly hypocrites. But because it's Islam, and were talking about a country with an 'Islamic' government we tend to place a greater standard when comparing against others and a much bigger expectation on the citizens. Its puzzling and disappointing to us when they fall short of our expectatons.

Which reminds me, me and my mum were talking to a lady from Saudi Arabica the other day and she told us that there were many people in her city who have never set a foot inside the Xaram although it might be only be a few hours away. If religion surrounds you 24/7 its easy to take it for granted and not work towards it. Think about it, the countless people in other countries who work hard to scrap enough money to leave their families for a few weeks and make the hajj, while these people who have it right in their backyard couldn’t care less. Furthermore a lot of people are 'forced' into it without their will by either their family or the government laws. Those people are going to hate it and view it as restrictive and oppressive. The lady claimed that she was forced to wear the niqaab and jilbaab in her country and when she came to Canada...she took it all off. She said that although she lived in Saudi Arabia, her whole family were Muslims, and the xaram was only an hour or so away from her...she never really bothered to learn Islam. It was just going through the motions for her, her heart wasn't in it. Religion has to be about personal choice. The people who overcome harships and struggle in their faith are usually the ones who have a firm grasp on it. They people who research it and come willingly to it have much greater faith than those who were born to it I notice.

I myself realize that when I remember Allah the most is when I'm sick or in an bad situation. Thats when I pray the most and have Allah constantly in mind. However when I'm well and things are looking bright...it slips my mind and I attribute it to my 'awesomeness'. It seems that I tend to seek his mercy when I'm in need and ignore his wrath. Being content in life can lead to lazyness & forgetfulness unfortunately.

I know I jumped almost everywhere but thats what comes to mind when I read your post. :D

hodman   

I hear you Northerner! Incredible as it sounds people in the so-called gaalo countries value the diin more that those who are surrounded by it and who by the grace of Allah can hear the Muadhin in all the minarets at once.I recently went to africa and it is as though people are in a deep slumber when it comes to the diin..even the basics.They seem to think that it is the responsibility of a few sheikhs and the ulamah and that they don't have an obligation to carry on the message.Speaking for myself I gained a new appreciation for the religion once I came to the US.

Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers, evil-doers), and (there is) Forgiveness from Allâh and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers, good-doers),
whereas the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment.

Race one with another in hastening towards Forgiveness from your Lord (Allâh), and towards Paradise, the width whereof is as the width of heaven and earth, prepared for those who believe in Allâh and His Messengers. That is the Grace of Allâh which He bestows on whom He pleases. And Allâh is the Owner of Great Bounty.

Modesty   

Even though we can't judge all muslim countries by certain individuals..hence making them all unreligious. As you mentioned how those muslims love all American things, it's not their fault they love these things, it's due to long looooooong process of psychological warfare, along with colonism of the middle east, and imperialism via American movies. I do think that you realize your deen more in a non-muslim country because you are the minority, things you took for granted like hearing the adhan(i want to hear it outside my house oneday, insha'Allah) is taken for granted.

I think that is why muslims are going through such humiliation while they are so numerous today. Remember many of the battles the sahaba won, they were outnumbered, but Allah gave them victory because of their taqwa and their faith. We need to come back to our deen, not to compromise our deen, only then will we have victory in this dunya and akhirah. The world needs the justice of Islam today.

Khayr   

Salams,

Northerner saxib,

I agree with you whole heartdly about your observations for I too saw and heard muslims in the muslim world who were confused about their identity. I saw NATIONALISM to play a big role for the avg. muslim....i saw that SECULAR EDUCATION to be the admiration and adoration of every muslim family...hafiz wo?alim who-yeah that program is for 'after school' :rolleyes:

I saw just like the hadith says, Arabs competing with one another in building TALL STRUCTURES. Skyscrapers galooore!

In the 'western hemisphere', the muslims are mostly JUST AS CONFUSED but b/c they are seen as

'FOREIGNERS' AKA FISH OUT OF WATER, by the majority of westerners, the avg. muslim becomes conscious of his 'ISLAM' whether they like it or not i.e. You are Mohamed or Abdul and you look like one too, no matter how many name changes or gucci suits and Ph.d's you aquire!

Its a sad state of affairs, but the Islamic tradition and culture, I think is most vibrant

in the poor, rural areas of the muslim world were people have adabs that are drawn out of the Islamic tradition- engrained into them.

Fi Amanillah

Haneefah   

Salam,

I hope your at least enjoying the climate and oh, the shopping smile.gif

I do understand where you're coming from though. Unfortunately many Muslims (in the west and in other countries) are under the false pretense that Muslims in the east are more 'devout' and thus lead better lives, which is why we see increasing number of families relocate to the middle east only to find out that, it really isn't that much different nowadays. Islam doesn't have geographical boundaries and the fact that these so called middle eastern countries have great muslim population doesn't really illustrate much about where they lie on the spiritual spectrum. It really does boil down to personal choice and the kind of lifestyle one chooses to lead regardless of the environment they happen to be in, although it would help to have an environment that's conducive to one's own personal religious convictions.

I honestly think that Islam needs to be revived in the east just as much as it needs to in the west. We are certainly witnessing a period where Muslims are great in number, but sadly, not of much substance. Therefore, we can only hope and pray for Allah (swt) to strengthen our ummah and guide us to the right path.

N.O.R.F   

Thank you all for your replies.

Curling Waterfall (if there is such a thing) your 'home' country is a very nice and pleasant place full of many good muslims i have come across over the last few months. But you cant help but notice what i have mentioned. Expectation of many people keeping their faith strong may have been slightly off the mark but its something that many in the west do not expect.

The feeling of being a minority in the west is no longer of concern or of pride for that matter. The loss of feeling proud when recognised as a muslim in the streets of London may be a contributing factor to my opinions.

Khayr says:

I saw just like the hadith says, Arabs competing with one another in building TALL STRUCTURES. Skyscrapers galooore

Thats a sign of the last days yes and the sights in Dubai, Jeddah, Abu Dhabi and Riyaad are striking.

Its a sad state of affairs, but the Islamic tradition and culture, I think is most vibrant

in the poor, rural areas of the muslim world were people have adabs that are drawn out of the Islamic tradition- engrained into them.

Not sure if its as simple as that but yes the poor can only rely on allah without the 'distractions' of local prosperity.

Therefore, we can only hope and pray for Allah (swt) to strengthen our ummah and guide us to the right path

Ameen IA