Sign in to follow this  
Nina Fox

Moslem Chicken

Nina Fox   

Thats the term I use for the few western Moslems who run back to the Middle East or Africa to spend the Ramadan month. More often than ever I noticed people booking their way out giving me excuses like "The hours are too long in the west" or " I want to be served first class and not lift a finger that month".

Shut the front door,,,,,,,,Whatever happened to deeper appreciation for hardwork?

Are any of you Moslem Chicken? Or do you know these people? Has the thought crossed your mind? If yes, where are you headed to and why?

Can you say pak pak pak pakaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak :)

some say they want ramadaanka inuu qabto because the weather at Africa is hot and the experience is quite hard.

others talk of masaajids and want to do taraweeh and tahajud at ictikaaf.

also others want to avoid the dumarka qaqaawan aragtidooda, and at least take a break for a month.

p.s. are you planning to go anywhere? curious ;)

Nina Fox   

I would love to be somewhere close to Mosques or better yet Umra. Not for the reasons some ppl are feeding me, but because I want to enjoy the perks of the blessed month to really feel humble and pray. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “When the month of Ramadan arrives, go for ‘Umrah, because `Umrah in Ramadan is like accompanying me on Hajj.” [bukhari]

Getting back to your question------No, this year (for once) Im planning to stay put Insha Allah. I experienced travelling during Ramadan a few times and it was a very uncomfortable experience. Hotel food for iftar---yukh. Not recommended.

Blessed   

Spent 6 Ramadans in the ME and it's not easy but you do get more opportunity to study and learn the deen. You're surrounded by the spirit of Ramadan and for that I think it's better to be in a Muslim country.

Will be in the UK this year, don't think it will be that different in terms of hardship. Every place has it's spiritual challenges, tbh...

nuune   

^^ exactly my thought, even googled if there is any Chicken Moslem Organization, and came across the Pigs Society

N.O.R.F   

What is a Moslem?

Nothing wrong with wanting to experience Ramadan in a climate more suited to it.

I'm just looking forward to finishing work at 2pm :D

A Moslem is one who eats too much moos.

I would like to be one of those said chickens and hightail it to Morrocco or Zanzibar for the month of August. Alas I'm stuck and will have to make do with going to sleep on a full stomach after taraawiix!

Actually YES, I am thinking about doing so next summer Insha’allah, because it so happens to accommodate my school schedule. Me personally I am heading back to my home town Nairobi, NOT because I want to escape the long hours of Ramadan, but because I want to relive my childhood memories. I can honestly say that since I was eleven years old I haven’t had a proper Ramadan/Eid (whatever that means). Most folks who live in big Somali populated areas like Minnesota/Ohio/San-Diego have nothing to complain about. I know the blessing is in the struggle, but it is comforting to be around your own people for a change. I am tired of being asked, ‘gurrl why you starving yourself/” or my personal favorite, ‘you can’t even chew gum or drink water for 30days?' :confused: STOP THE MADNESS.

Aaliyyah   

you can’t even chew gum or drink water for 30days?' STOP THE MADNESS.

LOL@ u cant even chew a gum...

Nina, I personally have never experienced ramadan in a muslim country. So I wouldn't know how it feels like. But, I always assumed it was easier to fast in western countries given that the weather is cooler. n most muslim countries are hotter ..

But, one thing is for sure fasting in Muslim countries where everyone else is fasting is definitely a great experience, and not to mention when Eid comes and everyone is celebrating with you. That would be priceless..

I personally want to move to carabaha sometime in the future...

salaam

ElPunto   

"The hours are too long in the west" or " I want to be served first class and not lift a finger that month".

Can't imagine anyone saying that - are you sure you're not projecting your own thoughts on others? :D

Som@li   

Very funny, Foxy, you should be comedian!

As for Muslims running back to Muslim countries, Have not seen many of them. so negligible!