Sign in to follow this  
A_Khadar

Superstar Saado Ali Warsame Receives Gold Record Award Special

A_Khadar   

Toronto:- In a historic event held in Toronto on June 4th, diehard fans of international superstar, Saado Ali Warsame,

thronged the upscale Taj Banquet Centre to see their iconic national hero perform and receive a Lifetime Achievement Award.

The Gold Record Award, the first ever to be awarded to a Somali artist, was presented to Saado Ali by Hodan Nalayeh, the media relations and international co-ordinator of the Somali Refugee Awareness Project. The Somali Refugee Awareness Project is an advocacy group designed to bring mainstream media attention and action on the current Somali refugee crisis in Africa. The prestigious award is in recognition of Saado Ali Warsame's impressive 35 years in music and Somali social activism.

Singing the Somali national anthem upon entering the packed arena, Saado Ali, singer, composer, poet and song writer, was mobbed and hugged by hundreds of supporters as she was ushered to the stage to a raucous welcome. As she took the mike for the opening act, the ecstatic crowd rose to its feet greeting their beloved superstar with sustained, thunderous applause in a splendid ceremony filled with pomp and colour.

The milestone event attracted close to one thousand Somali-Canadians of all generations and walks of life and Canadians in general. Participants travelled from as far as Ottawa, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Windsor and from across southern Ontario. It featured who is who in the Somali-Canadian community including community leaders, social activists, artists, media personalities and members of the business community.

The ceremony was a fundraising dinner to help The Somali Refugee Awareness Project to advocate and educate the mainstream media about the current Somali refugee crisis in Africa. Saado Ali will be traveling with the Somali Refugee Awareness Project to Kenya this summer for a video documentary project. June 20th is World Refugee Day and Somali Refugee Awareness Project is asking all Somalis to join together in humanity for Somalis in refugee camps around the world.

For the global Somali community, Saado Ali Warsame is not only an accomplished international performer but a national icon revered for her unwavering stance on human rights, freedom, justice and equality in the entire Somali Peninsula. More importantly, she has emerged as the pre-eminent symbol of national unity for a beleaguered nation torn by a protracted conflict over the last two decades.

In celebrating Somalia’s most iconic musical personality, renowned social activist and leading proponent of national unity, Hodan Nalayeh said that Saado Ali “is not only a superstar with international appeal, but a brave and courageous woman who has demonstrated a great leadership for her community and commitment to the suffering masses including the victims of the civil war, refugees, the displaced, women and kids etc”

Speaking to the Digital Journal's Farid Omar, Hodan said: “Somali professionals and community leaders in the West should advocate for Somali refugee rights. There are over 1.2 million Somali refugees scattered in camps in neighbouing Kenya, Ethiopia and elsewhere in the world”.

“While refugees in Sudan are backed by Hollywood celebrities, Somali refugees are not a priority for re-settlement in safe countries in the West including Canada and the US. Saado Ali can bring that level of awareness to the global arena. She is a great symbol of activism and we are here to honour her as a Somali woman and a great human being” said Hodan.

Addressing the massive gathering, Hodan said: “Tonight, we celebrate Saado Ali and the resilience of our people. We recognize Saado for her historic contribution to music, art and culture and for her advocacy for peace and refugee rights in Africa. We should work together to create awareness on the dying and the unfortunate and the woman who can help change that is Saado Ali.”

Read More

Aaliyyah   

It is good that you posted it on the poltics section. I posted on the general section by accident and was too lazy to repost it lol..and I asked the admins to place it on the politics section bt they didnt? I wonder what is up with the admins lately lol they are never around..

btw the one I posted was in somali, and it was more vague. This one is by far better! Thanks for posting it

salaam

Saado Ali, though a legend -has ruined her once good image by indulging into petty clan propaganda. She has become the first ever Somali warlord at the age 60. You'd think shed pick up a tusbax and repent to allah after she spent her entire life signing?

Aaliyyah   

^Saado cali is a somali legend she always spoke up for those who are oppressed regardless of their clan, and she will continue to do that( she spoke up for reer somaliland under the siyad barre government, n today she speaks for reer SSC n she had always spoke up for reer O-gadeniaia etc)...

So move on and take ur own advice n pick up a tusbax for ur soul cuz at the end of the day ur responsible only for ur soul..saado ilaahay kuma weydinayo haday tusbax sidatay iyo hadii kaleba.

salaam

Aaliyyah   

^ I am sorry too if saado cali is supporting a cause that is against the little seat adeerka isku hubsaday..but thats life. Move on! and allow ppl to express themselves!

Aaliyyah   

adeerka adiga iga yaqaan cidu yahay..

n if you are unhappy with the current saado cali warsame's political views, you have no reason to call her qabileste whatsoever!..

Saado Cali warsame qabiil way ka wayntahay..qofki caqli iyo murti iyo sharaf iyo somalinimo ay run ka tahayna wuu u qiraya waxay umad somaliyeed oo dhan u qabatay...

Hadaad adigu u qiri waydeyna dee adaa qabiileste ah..maybe u should do some self reflection.

n before we go into an argument let me add that this Saado Cali Warsame appreciation thread. So there is no room for your clan-based comments..cuqdada meel kale la aad.!

salaam

Fair enough. I will leave the thread seeing that it's her appreciation thread. As for you accusing me of having cuqdad ? lol cuqdad is used rather lightly in these boards. I've no cuqdad against Saado or her kin wallahi