Sign in to follow this  
caydarus

Do we have future leaders in Somalia?

caydarus   

The current Transitional Federal Institutions existed over 7 years without producing an outcome that is acceptable to the people of Somalia. Why Somalia is still not having functioning institutions that can bring peace and stability? This is a genuine question that we all want to know the answer. Despite of this, one of the possible reasons is due to lack of genuine leadership.

Somalis currently discuss leadership qualities in every social setting. The question of leadership has emerged as the Transitional Federal Institutions mandate is coming to an end on 20 August 2011.

Leadership is vital, to the success of any government or organization and is paramount to our daily life either at work, home or socializing. It is common to hear the rhetoric of Somalis highlighting that high quality leadership is vital to the success of any government or institution. Collins new English dictionary defines “Leader as a person who rules, guides, or inspires others”.

If Transitional Federal Institutions agree to hold an election before August 2011, then it is obvious that the current parliament cannot produce a genuine leader that can make a difference to the country. The parliament unilaterally extended its term for 3 years on 3 February 2011, however, the president, the cabinet, the Somali people and the International Community rejected this decision. One of the reasons at least from the International Community was that the decision lacked proper consultation with all stakeholders. The cabinet has also unilaterally agreed to extend their term for 12 months. In any case, all concerned parties agree the urgent need to extend the term of the institution in order to avoid vacuum.

They also agree that there is an urgent need to reform the parliament by reducing its number and ensuring to select individuals that are accountable to its people and have credibility to its people. For the last 7 years the parliament never functioned as an institution. Therefore, it is absolutely necessary to select leaders that can understand the processes required to produce for an institution.

caydarus   

There are over forty presidential candidates and one would expect that they produce their policies and strategies to deal with the challenges ahead. However, neither 550 parliamentarians nor others who are currently involving the process are demanding to scrutinize candidates’ reasons of wanting to lead the nation. Without accountability or scrutiny, candidates will have the opportunity that they wished from the first place, hence the increase of candidates.

Front-runners of the current presidential elections are doing their best to convince members of the parliament in a different ways, some are concentrating on getting alliances that can do the hard work for them, some are approaching directly to parliamentarians, while others are contesting for the race in order to capture the media attention with a view to becoming a member of the new cabinet. It is evident that no candidates can win the election without the support of parliamentarians; therefore, candidates are aware of the importance of MPs as they are making the ultimate decision.

In order to evaluate those front-runners, I have attempted to address their behavior, actions and results, as they are also very important features when it comes to evaluating the success of a leader. However, after discussing with friends I decided not to publish their weaknesses and strengths for obvious reasons. Therefore, I will leave it to you to explore the issue in your own terms.

Leadership qualities

Leaders have to demonstrate that they are role models and lead by example. Great leaders know that they do not know everything and feel that they can learn from their mistakes and have a willingness to admit mistakes. Great leaders are those who understand the complexity of tasks. Therefore, it is vital that leaders to be flexible and have an open mind. Motivation, persuasion, confidence, assertiveness and mutual respect and other qualities are all very important.

The quality and effectiveness of a great leader is inevitable to come out and people will notice by the outcome of their actions. The selection of the right person to be a leader is very important. Great leader recognizes the importance of building a trust and the need to possess excellent communication skills, especially when talking in public, as actions need to match words. If a leader is an approachable, willing to listen and have a policy encouraging participation at all levels will greatly help his/her leadership. I described some of the characteristic features of a leader as:

Physical vitality and stamina

Intelligence and action-oriented judgment

Eagerness to accept responsibility

Task competence

Understanding of followers and their needs

Skill in dealing with people

Need for achievement

Capacity to motivate people

Courage and resolution

Trustworthiness

Decisiveness

Self-confidence

Assertiveness

Adaptability/flexibility

Most of the known Somali leaders do not have the above leadership qualities and it is difficult to find a leader that partly meets the above requirements.

Liqaye   

Nope every single candidate so far and those positioning themselves are compromised and pathetic.

More so for the second generation of leaders that so much was expected from...

AYOUB   

A certain Somali playwright was asked about the lack of new Somali plays and he replied "politicians are the new Somali playwrights". Couple of nights ago I was flicking through Somali TV channels and there was a presidential candidate making a speech in Nairobi (where else). video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPDehCSCBsE

I like the guy, even though the few days before his backing audience were folks accused mass-murder and other stuff. You might say his "church" is broad, but that's not what I like about him. I like him because he made me laugh. "Maanta Soomaaliya waxay gacanta u gashay rag leh 'waa dhadhamiye ee ma dhargin', he quipped. It reminded me of the song "wadaaddadu beerka xaydha leh cunaan, Ilaahay maa ka yaabtaan oo nasiisaan..". When he said "waxaan idin leenahay ilaahi ka baqa"... I was rolling with laughter. Then he said he was Tabliighi. I thought from Sh. Dalxiis to Sh. Khuruuj? Stand up political commedy it was.

Then there was the New Somali Party guy, whom sounded just like the starter of this thread. It was all me me me I I I. Everyone could see through him and the questions reflected it. I thought maybe we all got it wrong and checked his party's website's Our Leaders and found....>> http://www.newsomalia.org/english/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3

^ Ayuub,

The website of the 'party' is comedy indeed.

This is 'their' Economic 'policy':

-----------

Economics

New vision, new approach, and new initiative are our motto, which will give a chance and space to the new business compotators in order to attract new investors. We want that the Diaspora community to come back to their native land and play major role.

• Free and fair market

• Privatisation and standardisation will be implement

------------------

:D:D:D

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad... do people like this genuinely think they are the best person for the job of restoring law and order to Somalia. It reminded me of that song xildhibaanimow xaal qaado.

"XUSHMAD BAA LAGAA DOONAYAA

HADAAD XILDHIBAAN [ read President] TAHAYE"

"QAAR AAN XILKABA QAADI KARIN

YAA/BAA LA SOO XULAYE"

"AYAA XIL U DAGAALAMAHAYOO"

caydarus   

The current political situation in Somalia requires a leader who has the ability to take a more strategic view. Even though the international communities have made an effort to find a solution to the problem, however, their method is not the right one as it only focuses on group leaders rather than encouraging the civil society organizations and individuals who have made a significant difference and improvements to Somalis in the country.

caydarus   

Somali political leaders should understand that Somalis are fed up of their tricks and would scrutinize for their actions. Apathy is the enemy for communities. The present political leaders have no clear political agenda other than the ultimate realization of a political seat, and this has to change. Leaders should be accountable for their actions and behaviors at all times.

two important points to make.

1) is leadership, a quality that is acquired or innate? calashaan inborn.

2)don't you think its equally important that everyone should embrace good change at individual level?