Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

Somalis Behind Bars Thread!

Malika   

^speculate away! - He might recognize himself in one of the theories and perhaps acknowledge waxaa ku kalife and seek help or let it go.

Safferz   

OdaySomali;946698 wrote:
But its a disservice to the Somali people and Somali name indeed.

You think Nin-Yaaban is the one doing that? How about these criminals?

Safferz;946702 wrote:
You think Nin-Yaaban is the one doing that? How about these criminals?

IMO they are both doing a disservice to the Somali people. They by commiting the crimes. He by disseminating and parading information about their criminal activities, storylines and lifestyles, and by directly associating the Somali name with those criminal activities, storylines and lifestyles. Its like starting a thread entitled "bad and negative stories about Somalis"... yacni, if that is not a disservice then I dont know what is.

Safferz   

OdaySomali;946708 wrote:
IMO they are both doing a disservice to the Somali people. They by commiting the crimes. He by disseminating and parading information about their criminal activities, storylines and lifestyles,
and by directly associating the Somali name with those criminal activities, storylines and lifestyles
. Its like starting a thread entitled "bad and negative stories about Somalis"... yacni, if that is not a disservice then I dont know what is.

They're responsible for that too. All Nin-Yaaban is doing is posting information that is already public, appearing on news websites and such, and sharing them with us so these cases are easily accessible. What's wrong with discussing these issues openly? The culture of silence and denial we have as a community is the reason why many of these problems persist.

Malika;946699 wrote:
^speculate away! - He might recognize himself in one of the theories and perhaps acknowledge waxaa ku kalife and seek help or let it go.

I give in. I have the following theories, Nin Yaaban can tell us which of those theories is plausible.

1. He is not Somali and seeks to defile the Somali name.

2. He has been wronged by a "criminal", perhaps a criminal of Somali origin, at some point in his life and gets a sense of satisfaction from seeing [somali] criminals behind bars.

3. He or a close relative/frien, has (or have) a criminal record for a minor offense. And perhaps this is a thread to provide self-affirmation of the lesser gravity of his/their criminal record.

4. He is enthused and excited by criminality and in particular criminality in which Somalis are involved.

5. He is writing a book on criminality in the Somali diaspora or is a social/case worker and as such as google alers set up to give him updates on the matter. (highly unlikely).

6. He is a criminal and wants to learn from the 'mistakes' made by other Somali criminals which got them caught.

:D

Safferz;946711 wrote:
They're responsible for that too. All Nin-Yaaban is doing is posting information that is already public, appearing on news websites and such, and sharing them with us so these cases are easily accessible.

Safferz;946711 wrote:
What's wrong with discussing these issues openly? The culture of silence and denial we have as a community is the reason why many of these problems persist.

Nothing is wrong with discussing those issues. In fact I encourage it but I dont see a discussion taking place here. Granted, this thread may provide some value in the sense that it highlights the frequency of Somali youngsters being jailed and thereby encourages the discussion of how to handle wayward youth. It would be helpful if Nin Yaaban clarifies his motive with the thread. Irrespective of motive, this thread gives a very negative image of and reflects very badly on the Somali community.

Safferz   

Fair enough, it just sounds to me like you're taking issue with the visibility of these Somalis altogether. My point is that Nin-Yaaban is doing nothing but reporting to us what is already out there in the news, so it is not fair to say that he is "giving a negative image" of Somalis by creating this thread.

Nin Yaaban, sxb, i've watched your video but in the video you don't explain why you've started the thread. What your motive is. What you hope to achieve... Ma arkinoo'

Jacpher   

^You're still doing it man. You ain't ever gonna get bored of surfing the web for 'Somalis' doing all sorts of crimes around the world.

Safferz   

Jacpher;954039 wrote:
^You're still doing it man. You ain't ever gonna get bored of surfing the web for 'Somalis' doing all sorts of crimes around the world.

Classy comment, Jacpher. Hop off, it's an important thread.

Edit -- glad to see the original comment was taken down.

Guzel   

I dont think this thread gives us a negative image however none of the criminals did what they did because they are "Somalis" for this reason, this thread serves no purpose. Somalis are not in denial about crime committed by young people, it is discussed openly. Saying so, this is my favourite thread and i check it out regularly.