Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Tom Hanks to star in Somali pirate flick

Somalina   

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

LOS ANGELES, march 16 — Tom Hanks is attached to star as high-seas hero Capt. Richard Phillips in a movie about the rescue of crewmen from an American ship captured by Somali pirates.

Columbia Pictures picked up the life rights to Phillips, as well as his book, in spring 2009. The goal is to retell the story of the captain of the trading vessel Maersk Alabama who, in order to save his crew, surrendered to Somali pirates after his ship was hijacked.

The standoff, which commanded worldwide attention, tested the strength of Phillips and his crew as well as the resolve of the Navy commanders and President Barack Obama to bring Phillips home alive.

The project, with a script by Billy Ray, is being produced by the team behind “The Social Network,” including producer Scott Rudin and actor Kevin Spacey.

Hanks just began shooting the Rudin-produced adaptation of Jonathan Safran Foer’s 2005 novel, “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.” He returns to theatres in July with “Larry Crowne.”

-------

Will they hire Somalis for this movie?

Somalina   

Che -Guevara;702727 wrote:
Could they atleast real Somalis? Even Ethios would suffice.

Just once I would like to see a real Farax doing his thing on the big screen :D

Abwaan   

Che -Guevara;702727 wrote:
Could they atleast real Somalis? Even Ethios would suffice.

I hope so. Not always easy to get Somali actors, but I am sure they can train people to act or get few who can act! Unless they want to show some pirates preparing for attack on land most of it can be water based. Therefore they don't need a lot of Somalis or atleast to shoot it somewhere that looks like Somalia, but I hope that they don't use other Africans like they did in Black Hawk Down.

STOIC   

I bet there is some Somali kid studying theater and Film studies somewhere.Its about time they submit some portfolio of their works...Bruce Willis hired many lost boys from Sudan for his movie Tears Of The Sun and many of them were well paid to be extras...I'd not be surprised to see some advertisement for Somali extras in Minneapolis/Columbus/Seattle...SouthPark did a good job in hiring Somali kids in Seattle area to record the Fatbeard episode.....

Chimera   

Insha-allah not a single ethnic Somali will be casted. I enjoyed watching "The Expendables" in the cinema precisely because no ethnic Somali was blown to smithereens. Nobody I have spoken with or told my background off ever brought up any of those movies because they can't put two and two together. When I teach them Somali words, its unlike anything they have ever heard. While the Arabs, Chinese and Russians portrayed as villains in movies (played by actors of the same ethnicity or similar looking ones) are recognised instantly both through looks and speech.

Somalina, if you can find the guys that used to run the Somali Film Agency, you would be able to locate Somali films that had million dollar budgets and won international awards. A return to this is what we should strive for; talented Somali film-makers portraying our people and country not as villains but as humans.