Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Amin Amir has a Point

N.O.R.F   

^^Thank you!

The man makes obvious, and rather tedious, caricatures that he somehow believes will make a difference to the situation (as he sits in his Ottawa home with the heating on drinking hot chocolate).

NGONGE;693608 wrote:
Told you before and I'll tell you again that you (and Bob it seems) don't understand the point of a political
caricature
:D

I agree. AA makes a good point here.

Like I told Cheh, this one isn't political. Its just nonsense hostage taking.

NGONGE;693608 wrote:
Told you before and I'll tell you again that you (and Bob it seems) don't understand the point of
a political
caricature
:D

I agree. AA makes a good point here.

The said cartoon is not a political caricature - rather it is a Social Caricature

^ You're painfully pedantic here Sayid.

Norf, you must have a camera installed in his house... nothing else can explain how you're able to pinpoint what exactly he is doing as he draws.

Chimera, you seem to have missed the point by a mile and half. He is just drawing a parallel between the situation at home and the priorities of those abroad and their ilk. Even if Somalia wasn't starving, I would still shame the unnecessary lavishing and extravagance of a society where consumerism reigns supreme. And I guess even more so when that society has a responsibility back home (and yes they do!).

Chimera   

No Serenity they don't! Its Somalis in Somalia that need to step up, its Somalis in Somalia that need to wake up and realise supporting a clan, a warlord, a crooked organisation will not ensure stability and food-security for them and their children in the long run. The fact that Somalis in the diaspora pump 2 billion dollars anually to Somalia, which btw is higher than the Foreign Direct Investment of all of Somalia's neighbours combined, shows you Somalis in the diaspora are doing their best to aid those back there, but there is only so much they can do, if Somalis in Somalia want change on the ground then they need to emulate the Tunisians & Egyptians and stop fearing their oppressors.

What Amin Amir is basically saying with this picture is that me buying a Playstation 3 for my nephews is a waste because I could have send that money to Somalia, that my brother's purchase of an expensive necklace for his wife last year is a waste because he could have send that money to Somalia, that my friend's gift to his pregnant wife in the form of a car is a waste because he could have send that money to Somalia. He's emotionally blackmailing us and trying to force us not to have a life.

Somalis are far from extravagant or lavish, I have seen examples of both definitions, trust me we are nowhere near that. His point is a non-sequitur, diasporic Somalis live in new countries, where they raise their kids, if Amin Amir had instead drawn a Somali kid with no school materials on the left, then his point would make sense, since there are those who neglect their own right here in the diaspora, where they DO have chance to make a difference on the ground.

^Serenity - and must point out the bleeding obvious :P

Chimera;693612 wrote:
Stubid point. Somalis in the West should not be denied something everyone around them is doing. Just because they originally come from Somalia doesn't mean they can't spend money on themselves or their weddings, just because they come from Somalia doesn't mean they have an obligation to send money there, they do this voluntarily, 2 BILLION DOLLARS annually!! Creating thousands of jobs and new businesses. They are not the cause for the situation on the left, no they left that situation to live better lives and that's exactly what they are doing.
This emotional blackmail
is exactly the reason why our youth have such trouble fitting in their host countries. Those who want to help the people of their/parents birth country will do so,
those who don't, should live their new lives the way they want to!

OK - how is this for a blackmail:

[“
Woe to every (kind of) scandal-monger and backbiter, who pileth up wealth and layeth it by.”
(al-Humazah, 104:1-2).

“And there are those who bury gold and silver and spend it not in the way of God: announce unto them a most grievous penalty.”
(at-Tawbah, 9:34)

(Nor) those who are niggardly or enjoin niggardliness on others, or hide the bounties which God hath bestowed on them; for We have prepared, for those who resist Faith, a punishment that steeps them in contempt”
(an-Nisa, 4:37)

“On the Day when heat will be produced out of that (wealth) in the fire of Hell, and with it will be branded their foreheads, their flanks, and their backs, their flanks, and their backs.- "This is the (treasure) which ye buried for yourselves: taste ye, then, the (treasures) ye buried!"”
(at-Tawbah, 9:35)

.....................plenty more where that^^ came from...........

As for whether one has the choice of giving or not as his whims dictate - as if thought there would be no accounting day - how one spend their wealth - here is warning:

[

“And let not those who covetously withhold of the gifts which God Hath given them of His Grace, think that it is good for them: Nay, it will be the worse for them: soon shall the things which they covetously withheld be tied to their necks Like a twisted collar, on the Day of Judgment. To God belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth; and God is well-acquainted with all that ye do.”
[/b]

B] (Aal-i Imran, 3:180)

I really would like to know where you got that figure of 2 billion. Please, source and reference. Thanks!

Secondly, you again seem to miss the point of this particular picture at this particular time. There is a time and place to discuss putting Somalia on the right tract long term and all the political maneuvering and who should do what, however there is a crisis in Somalia at the moment where an estimated 2.4 million Somalis require emergency humanitarian assistance, some literally dying of starvation as we type while others are pretty close. This is no time to discuss how the fire started, this is a time to put out the fire, and thats what he wants people to do. Reach out and help, put the extravagance on hold for a month or two, your people need your donation.

N.O.R.F   

-Serenity-;693684 wrote:
Norf.. the point is, you dont know.
:P

You're right. He could be freezing under a bridge uploading his pics online :P

I'm with Adam on this. AA is trying hold us all hostage. Maybe he should redirect money for his heating to Somalia.

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;693658 wrote:
^^Thank you!

The man makes obvious, and rather tedious, caricatures that he somehow believes will make a difference to the situation (as he sits in his Ottawa home with the heating on drinking hot chocolate).

Like I told Cheh, this one isn't political. Its just nonsense hostage taking.

If it mentions Somalia it is as political as can be. And, again, like I told you before, you still dont' get the point of cartoons. Here, look at the link below where I argued with Adam about it in the past.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/showthread.php/8420-What-an-art-great-display/page2?highlight=Caricature

who knew Norf & Chimera were bakhils to the bone? all their protesting must be due to the subconscious guilt - for that Liverpool shirt or Nintendo Wii Fit that cost £200 each. :o

AYOUB   

N.O.R.F;693694 wrote:

I'm with Adam on this. AA is trying hold us all hostage. Maybe he should redirect money for his heating to Somalia.

Well Adam's wrongly playing his usual but "girl power" card. He would have no qualms if AA drew geezers in Marfish instead. Bal maxaa ku haya adiga? :):)

NGONGE   

What's really funny here is that AA is the only one that is not taking himself too seriously (as is the point of caricatures is). Midna 'blackmail' ayuu la orday, midna 'hostages' ayuu ku waashay, kii Qardho na, waakaa quraan soo dhigay. Caqli maraq baad wada teheen wale. :D