Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somali Athletes

me   

Originally posted by me:

lazy waa baac.

The comment above is intended as a provocation.

Cara.   

^^Good question. We (well the men anyway) certainly have the build for long distance running. In fact that's all I was expecting to see here, but it's a remarkably varied list of sports that the boys are excelling at! Bodybuilding and taekwondo take the cake though smile.gif

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

Okay, someone is off his medicine...

Okay, someone is projecting their own reality onto others...

You ran out of things to say, so you started to come to this part of the forum just to answer me back...

Actually, I'm regular contributor to this section. That aside, you asked if someone who knew him can confirm his somaliness. Since we went to the same HS, I thought I should disconfirm your doubts.

Explain to me how I am the hater, when all I said was he didn't look somali?

There's nothing to explain. I'm the arbitrary judge and I say you're guilty of playa hatin. Deal with it.

Your disability is is spreading....and ""lol@I work out with him at the gym...""

I didn't actually say that but what the heck. I workout with him too. What you gonna do about it? More talking out of your hat?

Didn't your doctor tell you not to make up anymore "make believe friends" in your head?

In fact, no. My doctor highly advised me to have as many friends as possible. It's very therapeutic. You should give it a try, it'll wash off the constant bitter taste in your mouth.

There's nothing to explain. I'm the arbitrary judge and I say you're guilty of playa hatin. Deal with it.

You sound so bitter brah, and we both know why you bitter, lol@ "playa hating", you sound like a broken record...

Jaylaani   

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

[

PS:Jay, ask socod badne, he works out with them, he probably would know if they getting paid or not...

Should I touch this one? Getting paid means different things to different people. I was just wondering why this cat, Socod Badane, takes this issue so personally?

Socod Badane,

Since you know this guy so well, I mean working out with him and all, could you please ask him what type of steroid he is downing in daily bases to make him self look like that?

BTW, is body building sport or obsession? You don’t actually have to have a talent to be a body builder, do you?

Laz..

I'm going to the Sixers' season opener on Wednesday!

I was just wondering why this cat, Socod Badane, takes this issue so personally?

Simple answer, Me, what else is there? Remember how many before him tried??whatever happened to them? Probably still burned in the ground where I last left them...

Let him keep coming, sooner or later he will stop his socod badnahiisa ways...

JAY, Lucky u, but I got tickets to next week's game against Raptors, my friend and I will be there...cant wait...Enjoy the game...

LayziGirl,

Forget about Jaylaani. He got chip on his shoulder for understandable reasons. I called him Trabilist to which he took an exception to. Ever since, he's had an axe-to-grind. As far as I'm concerned he's wind under my wings. You should consider rendering him the same status too. For verily it is true I'm right on this one because I say so.

You, on the other hand, are going on a tangent with all the pap you squiggled down. Your threats of gruesome violence, aggressive overtures are grounds for harassment charges. I have you know this too, I'm a good boy from a good family. Me want no trouble. You're backing me into a cul-de-sac and you know what happens someone is painted into a corner, don't you?

Look how innocent my conduct was. You asked for someone to verify that Dude's Somaliness. Knowing him from HS, I stepped forward being the good helpful person I am. I unwarily fell for your ensnare. You used my reply as pretext to go on a smear compaign. I'm disappointed in you. Very disappointed.

Originally posted by MC Xamar:

I always wondered why there weren't more long-distance runners from Somalia, like there were from surrounding countries like Kenya and Ethiopia and Eritrea? There was Abdi Bile, but that's all I have heard of when it came to Somali long-distance runners. Of course, I am talking about before 1991. There's something about war that changes people's priorities and you don't see too many athletes from war-torn countries.

There's no Somali long distance runners, because they are all busy chewing khat and smoking.

Chimera   

566302.jpg

Mohammed Abukar

A big man with a soft touch, he can hit the three with ease while possessing the ability to run the floor in Billy Donovan's up-tempo offense…His ability to knock down the three helps give the Gators a similar threat that Matt Bonner provided from the forward position …Battled a shoulder injury during his freshman season that limited his progress…Had off-season shoulder surgery and is expected to be back at 100 percent in time for workouts to begin…

AS A FRESHMAN IN 2003-04 - A late addition to the Gator roster, he announced his intentions to come to the University of Florida on May 15 after originally signing with Georgia…Scored at least eight points in five games (Montana State, FAMU, Louisville, West Virginia, and Tennessee) … Averaged 14.2 minutes per game over his last nine games … Shot 44.4 percent from the field and 37.5 percent from three-point range during Florida's late season four-game winning streak … Was the first sub off the bench 10 times during the season, a team-best … Played 30 games without fouling out … Missed the Gators' NCAA Tournament game against Manhattan with a lower back ailment…Attempted 64 shots from behind the arc, third most on the Gators team for the season … Recorded first nine points and grabbed four rebounds in his debut against Montana State, hitting three from beyond the arc ... In that same contest, set a freshman opening day record for three-pointers attempted with nine ... Posted a career-high of 12 points on 5-for-7 shooting, while grabbing a career-best five rebounds against Florida A&M ... Was one of only two Gators to score in double figures at then-No. 25 Louisville, posting 10 points on 4-of-8 shooting, in addition to grabbing four rebounds against the Cardinals ... Dished out a career-high five assists in the Gators' victory over Northeastern ... Tied his career high with five rebounds against Eastern Kentucky, while blocking a career-best three shots ... Compiled nine points on 50 percent (3-for-6) shooting, along with one assist and one steal against Tennessee ... Shot 2-of-3 from behind the arc, scoring six points in addition to grabbing five rebounds versus Arkansas ... Had three points and three assists against Alabama in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals ...

041201hoops.jpg

PREP - Averaged 28.7 points and 12.7 rebounds per game during his senior season at Rancho Bernardo High School...Hit over 45 percent from beyond the arc…Rancho Bernardo got as high as No. 6 in the national rankings during his senior season…Was a member of the USA Junior National team in the summer of 2002, traveling to Venezuela on the same team that boasted Carmelo Anthony, Dee Brown and Chris Bosh…He was one of only three high school players on the roster…A finalist for a spot on the 2003 USA Junior Squad …As a junior he averaged 20.0 points, 11.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 4.0 blocks and hit 41 percent of his three-pointers…Rancho Bernardo finished 19-9 during his junior year…

http://www.alligator.org/edit/sports/issues/stories/041201hoops.html

speaking of somali basket ballers, I believe like many of my friends, we could have all went real far in the sport, but we all got priorities man, life, families, drama, anything to really make you slip. big up to those representing the nation though. As far as Ping pong, lol, never knew somali's played it at all, there goes another surprise.

Check this out guys, i saw this on the local news few days ago..It's is real nice.

Posted on 11/24/2006 5:59:55 AM PST by Valin

The landscape has changed at the state high school cross country meet at Saint Olaf College in Northfield. A brand new wind turbine spins 350 feet above the course. Yet, it's still not the biggest turnaround in Minnesota high school running.

Three years ago, the Willmar boys cross country team didn't dream of making it to state. The team didn't win a meet all year, finishing ninth out of nine schools in the Central Lakes Conference. "Our goal was not to get last every meet," says one former runner. A farming community of 18,000 people, the best Willmar could hope for during cross country season was a record corn crop.

But on the Minnesota prairie, seeds of change are sprouting. "Good job Mohad, Mohamed. Good job Abshire," shouts Willmar cross country co-coach Jerry Popp. He yells again to get the attention of three more runners. "Abdi! Kaafi! Mufu!" By some estimates Willmar is now home to 1,000 Somalis, coming in waves the past few years for jobs at the Jennie-O turkey plant.

Abdi Awale was the first Somali teen to join Willmar's cross country team. Abdi recruited Kaffi Adeys, who helped recruit Mohamed Bedel, who recruited Mustafa Yustuf, who recruited Ahmed Hussein. Popp recalls, "They'd come up and say 'Popp, we got some new runners,' and then I'd go 'How do you know they're runners,' and they'd go, 'They're African. They're skinny.'"

Coach Popp extended the welcome and Somali runners kept coming. This year's boys's team roster included ten Somali runners, who mixed freely with Willmar's white runners during a recent post-practice stop for hot chocolate at Popp's home. "I don't really see it as Somali and white kids," says runner Phil Cleary. "I see it as Abdi, I see it as Zach, I see it as Mufu, I see it as Mo. I don't really see it as we're different. We're just a team."

But not just any team. Three years ago Willmar didn't win a meet. Last year it won the Class AA state championship. This year Willmar arrived at the conference meet ranked fifth in the nation. The conference meet ended with the top five runners finishing in this order - Willmar, Willmar, Willmar, Willmar, and Willmar. "It's been an incredible story. The whole community is behind them," says a Willmar parent who came to watch.

For the roughly 40 Somali students at Willmar High School, the transition has not always been easy. Principal Rob Anderson says, "We saw kids come in this summer that had two years of formal education in 18 years." "I didn't even know if I could finish high school," says Bedel. Now he and the other top Somali runners are weighing college athletic scholarship offers. They've been motivated to improve their grades to meet college entrance standards. "I plan on studying physical education, being a coach," says Adeys, who hopes one day to coach cross country and track.

Anderson says he's seen a tremendous amount of pride in the accomplishments of the cross country team that has, "helped these Somali kids blend in and integrate faster." There may be no better proof of that than a recent noon meeting of a Willmar Lions Club. Runner Mustafa Yusuf lunched with local business leaders, even joining them in singing 'Home on the Range,' a song he admitted later he had never heard before. "They want to be known as Willmar kids," says Popp.

Which brings us back to the turnaround for Willmar's cross country team. Ten new Somali runners did not hurt. But neither did another new arrival. He's an immigrant from North Dakota who moved to Willmar to be closer to his adult children. You know him as Coach Jerry Popp. North Dakota remembers him for his 39 boys and girls state team titles, a record unmatched in North Dakota history. Three years ago Popp joined Willmar's existing coach, Disa Daucsavage. New coach, new Americans, and Willmar had a cross country convergence.

Prior to last year, just two teams had brought state titles home to Willmar, in any sport. So how couldn't Willmar be excited, when its boys cross country team won the Minnesota state team championship for the second consecutive year. "It's a new chapter in the American saga," said Somali native Abdulcadir Gall as he watched the Willmar cross country team accept its championship trophy. Another banner for Willmar high school, another page turned in the land of 10,000 stories. It often takes time to get to know new neighbors. Willmar's kids said, "why wait?"

BTW i was cheering so loud when i saw 5 somali guys finished not just #1 but sweep for 1st, 2nd,3rd,4th, and 5th..my first time i saw anything like this..It was power full..way to go somali runners we have arrived..