Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Demonstrations in Lasanod

Malika   

^Fair enough, but to show arrogancy on others despair is an ugly trait, no matter how provoked you get, no need to get so cocky. As for the unnecessary fights - its tragic and trully unfortunate.

I remember Dr Hawa's words about casiinimo, when one forgets that their lineage doesnt necessary only consists of the male linage, but that of their mothers, aunties, uncles, cousins etc. Markaa dadkuu waa daad iis dalee - its unfortunate that cadoow isku noqdeen..

I agree with you that these deaths are both tragic and unfortunate, and these silly fights have bothered me terribly, for as I said these warring clans are both my family. But, I also have the right to give my openion about S/land's qaranimo and nationhood in a manner equal to those opposing parties that wish it harm or see it fail. When it comes to these two brotherly tribes fighting on the otherhand, I remain neutral.

Somalina   

Anti-Somaliland Demonstration in Las Anod Turns Violent

At least one person was killed and a half a dozen wounded in a northern Somali city of Las Anod as anti-Somaliland protests turned violent, Radio Garowe reports.

The protests started around 11am Monday after local demonstrators began burning tires and closing off roads.

Security forces loyal to Somaliland, a separatist region in northwest Somalia, began fighting back the rioters and the situation soon turned violent.

Local sources reported that at least two police vehicles were burned, with medical workers reportedly treating six wounded civilians.

Protesters chanted anti-Somaliland slogans and demanded the withdrawal of Somaliland troops, who militarily seized control of Las Anod in Oct. 2007 as Puntland troops withdrew.

Somaliland and Puntland, two regions in northern Somalia, have disputed violently over control of Sool and Sanaag regions since 2002, with Las Anod town becoming the epicenter of their dispute.

Somaliland-appointed governor of Sool region, Mr. Abdullahi Jama Dirie, confirmed the violent protests to BBC Somali Service.

He noted that one Somaliland police vehicle was burned, but stated that "no one was killed" during the protests. According to Mr. Dirie, five civilians were wounded.

Furthermore, he stated that 118 persons arrested by police during the protests were released Monday afternoon.

Residents of Las Anod have protested several times against the presence of Somaliland forces inside the town. Residents oppose Somaliland's separatist agenda, according to experts and observers.

Meanwhile, Monday's protests coincide with violent clashes between Somaliland troops and a rebel group Ayn region in the outskirts of Buhodle town near the Ethiopian border. At least five people including Somaliland soldiers were killed during the armed clashes in Kalshale village, according to local reports.

Located in northwest Somalia, Somaliland unilaterally declared independence from the rest of Somalia in 1991 but has not been recognized internationally.

Thankful   

What needs to be remembered about this popular uprising is that it is not Puntland forces or SSC forces attacking the city, but just like when the people revolted against Riyaale's visit to the city; it is the citizens that are leading the protests against the secessionist’s enclave. So the most important aspect about this is that the people are becoming fed up and demonstrating.

Just like the protests that took place back when secessionist’s forces took over the city in 07 and the ongoing armed opposition of the SSC, you can see that the people have never been very supportive about the NW Somalia's government presence in the city.

Somalina;691907 wrote:
At least one person was killed and a half a dozen wounded in a northern Somali city of Las Anod as anti-Somaliland protests turned violent,
Radio Garowe reports

:D :D ,, Naga daa dee