Sign in to follow this  
Humming bird

What are you reading?

Buuxo   

Im currently reading :

1.The creed of Imam Al-Tahawi translation by Hamza Yusuf

2. Black Mamba boy by Nadifa Mohamed

3.The tipping point -how little things can make big difference by Malcolm Gladwell

^Buxa, #3 is not bad. I keep using his anecdotes in random conversations...I have to stop that though because it apparently annoys people!

I just started this book. It was recommended by a borderline genius from work so I'm thinking it's probably good..

postamericanworld.jpg

Blessed   

Wyr,

LOL. I've experienced a similar incident, laba faarax oo is haysta stoped me at some street in London and asked me keenee baa qurux badan?? I wish I read this book before then.

Chimera   

Humming bird;687145 wrote:

Chimera- Im asuming your a sis,

Good guess.

interesting..Not much into such but would probably take interest in scifi written by a Somali person..can we expect some from you in future?

Yep.

Blessed   

JB waan ku qoslay, runtii wax qurux lagu sheego midkoodna muu lahayn. Maraaksu mid kii kale ku yidhi, dee inantu foolxumadaada ayat ku qoslaysaa. LoooooL

Maalin bay laba hablood i waydiiyeen kaayagee baa qurux badan ,,,,, I told them "Adna waad qurux badan tahay, adna ma fooxumid" ... and i survived :D

Ms MoOns   

I have been reading recently:

House of Night series by P. C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast

1. Marked

2. Betrayed

3. Chosen

4. Untamed

5. Hunted

6. Tempted

7. Burned

8. Awakened

9. Destined (November 2011)

"As your girlfriend, you've just pissed me off. As your High Priestess, you've just insulted me. And as someone with a working brain, you've made me wonder if you've lost every bit of your sense."

- Zoey Redbird (main character)

Also just finished:

Please Forgive Me by Melissa Hill - Good read ^^

I'm reading the following;

"Night" by Elie Wiesel

"Macbeth" by Shakespeare(this is not for pleasure;I'm teaching this the spring semester)

"The Things They Carried" by O'brien

"Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens

LOL! I'm reading these books simultaneously walahi. No wonder I dont have a social life anymore:mad:

Chimera   

A friend passed me this:

ben-aaronovitch-rivers-of-london.jpg?w=3

Peter Grant is just a rookie cop in the Metropolitan Police Service when he discovers an aptitude for magic, and is taken on as an apprentice wizard. As he comes to realise the complicated supernatural life that infuses London, he is caught up in a case involving a malicious vengeful spirit. A spirit who is twisting the lives of ordinary Londoners and leaving a trail of nasty deaths in its wake. Peter has to learn the magic trade quickly before he and his colleagues becoming part of the game.

I'm liking it so far!

Chimera   

51j0ZAsaNWL._SS500_.jpg

A chance encounter between a Somali girl and the ghost of a schoolboy is the starting point for this thought-provoking story. In the toilets of her East London primary school, Aisha meets a boy called Richard who grew up during the Second World War.

The plot switches seamlessly from the1940s to the present day, as Aisha travels back in time to witness the destruction of the Blitz while Richard travels into the future to become her invisible best friend. Richard helps Aisha overcome her fear of the school bully and resolve her cultural identity crisis. But when she discovers that her school was bombed during the war she must find Richard and warn him of the danger before it’s too late.

This highly original ghost story depicts a touching friendship that spans two different conflicts, cultures and countries. Aisha’s first person narrative is immediately accessible to young readers, and Layburn’s use of contemporary vocabulary brings a refreshing dose of realism to the dialogue. The themes of bullying and multiculturalism are handled superbly in a very short space of time.

This is a great book to keep in the classroom. It’s concise enough to read over two lessons and will appeal to both boys and girls. Ghostscape is based on true events, and the vivid descriptions of wartime London combined with excellent illustrations by John Williams provide a perfect introduction to Second World War projects.

some quotes from the book:

I opened the cubicle door, my eyes bleary with tears. It was a boy. A boy in our toilet! Sometimes they'd get dragged in by a gang of the noisy, flirty girls from Year Six. But this one just stood there. I didn't recognize him. "Blimey, look at you!" he said. He stretched out a pale hand and touched my headscarf just above my left eye. "What the hell have you got on your head? I actually laughed. It wasn't as if I was an unusual sight — there were lots of girls like me who kept their heads covered. He didn't sound like he was being unkind though. He seemed genuinely amazed.

I sought refuge in a corner of the playground under a skinny dead tree with Leyla and Sufia. About twenty boys were playing football, all shrieking "pass it, man! at sufia's big brother Omar. But he played like he was possessed, never looking up to pass to anyone. The other kids couldn't understand how he'd picked up their game so quikly. Of course, in Somalia he would have run around in a cloud of dust with a ball at his feet any chance he'd had. He didn't let on to these boys though.
Gooaal
, he shouted, a flash of white teeth, proud brown eyes, a glance towards where we were standing. Leyla and I smiled shyly, but he ignored us. Typical.