Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Great Somalis

wyre   

Dadkan I don't see them as heroes aniga, coz Dad badaaan baa jira noocan oo kale ah, but they didn't mention what they have done for the others, so those are heroes, laakiin kuwan they are looking for heroesim :D so they are half-heroes :P

Bashiir   

Ismahaan;683208 wrote:
A hero is somebody who is selfless, who is generous in spirit, who just tries to give back as much as possible and help people. A hero to me is someone who saves people and who really deeply cares.

That is a hero to me someone who makes a impact in a person life.
:)

My grandma was what you said, and more. She saved me once, from a lion.

wyre;683211 wrote:
Dadkan I don't see them as heroes aniga, coz Dad badaaan baa jira noocan oo kale ah, but they didn't mention what they have done for the others, so those are heroes, laakiin kuwan they are looking for heroesim
:D
so they are half-heroes
:P

I agree with you! There are so many unspoken heroes in somalia doing amazing things w/o getting or wanting recognition.

Somalina   

Daud Hassan was a British citizen of Somali origin and he could have stayed in peaceful Britain, after retirement, for the rest of his life. But he wanted to contribute positively to the education of Somalia’s young generation who has not seen peace, security and a functioning national government for almost the past two decades. And although some of his closest friends, like Prof. Said S. Samatar of Rutgers University, USA, had advised him – or rather pleaded with him – not to go to lawless Somalia, Daud turned down their pleas and established a good modern school for the Somali youth in the above-mentioned city. How courageous he was! But ultimately he paid the highest price – his life – for fulfilling his ambition/conviction. My condolences are to his family and friends, particularly his wife, Margaret Ali. May Daud’s soul rest in eternal peace.

Dr. Mahamud M. Yahya (July 18 , 2008).

Wyre and the rest of the naysayers, haddaad taqaanaan Somali "heroes", ku soo dhejiye halkaan. Haddii kale calaacalka naga yareeya fadlan. Thank you.

Somali iney ganuunacaan uun bey la soo shirtagaan, you can't be happy for each other haye! waaba danbi haddaad qof aqoonsato oo aad ku tiraahdo "great job" "thank you for your tireless effort and hardwork"...please wax iskula hara (Wyre).

Dr. Xawo shaqadeeda waa show miyaa hadda oo ay ku raadineyso recognition? do you even read waxaad soo qortey, maxaase ugu soo qori weydey halkan haddaad qof wadankiisa wax u qabtey taqaano? Pah-leeeeeeese!

Polanyi, you can stuff your Aweys comments where the sun don't shine. Gracias. Don't bother replying.

wyre   

Somalina;683253 wrote:
Dr. Mahamud M. Yahya (July 18 , 2008).

Wyre and the rest of the naysayers, haddaad taqaanaan Somali "heroes", ku soo dhejiye halkaan. Haddii kale calaacalka naga yareeya fadlan. Thank you.

Somali iney ganuunacaan uun bey la soo shirtagaan, you can't be happy for each other haye! waaba danbi haddaad qof aqoonsato oo aad ku tiraahdo "great job" "thank you for your tireless effort and hardwork"...please wax iskula hara (Wyre).

Dr. Xawo shaqadeeda waa show miyaa hadda oo ay ku raadineyso recognition? do you even read waxaad soo qortey, maxaase ugu soo qori weydey halkan haddaad qof wadankiisa wax u qabtey taqaano? Pah-leeeeeeese!

Polanyi, you can stuff your Aweys comments where the sun don't shine. Gracias. Don't bother replying.

:D haddaan gafay raalli haleyga noqdo @somalieta

Ok i'll try to add 1 person

Hadji muuse sheikh cabdikarim :D wuxuu dilay 99 lions In his Good empty Hands

Xajka ayuu lug kusoo aaday xilligii xilli ahaa oo hadde geela la dhaqan jiray dal shisheeye iyo dowlad la shisheeye lama aqoon

kuwo kaloo badanna waan soo aruurin ha sugi waayin :D

Somalina   

War kuwan meel laga keeney lama yaqaano. Meeshan dhan koley waan ka dhaqaaqey. Nina says farewell.

Launching my own website soon and no time for idiyoots anymore....

Peace out y'all.

p.s. lol I might say hi once in a blue moon. Arrivederci amici.

Somalina   

lol@whoever deleted the above posts...you couldn't even come up with a reason xataa as to why you've deleted those posts

Trigger happy aren't we! now that's what I call power _____... keep up the great work! lol (of course there is a hint of sarcasm)

Yaa East Londoner, yaa Mr Potato, what is it you want to gain from this exchange? vaporizer-kaaga iska shido...and turn that Marley song up...

Now that the pleasantaries are out of the way. I think the following Somali is a brave man who made me proud to be a Somali.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GRQ6ZrTdaGo#!" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GRQ6ZrTd

Somalina   

photostream

We are living in a contemporary world, of progress and innovation, where the keys to success lie with the ability to create new knowledge and discover new ideas. Everything we know about today's economy, technology, engineering, global competitiveness, health and social well-being tells us that investment in our human capital, particularly in the higher education of our citizens, is one of the best and most prudent investments any society can make.

A university education provides students with more than just a body of knowledge or an area of expertise. It provides the tools for a life of continuous learning, the skills of creativity, problem-solving and leadership. Never has a university education been more important or valuable than its today.

We began five years ago as a university of Somalia, to serve the educational needs of students living in Somalia. As we grew in size, the 2006 TNG v Islamists clashes had destroyed the university compound and driven many students out of educational circles.

Nevertheless, the University of Somalia has now fortunately reestablished its credibility and reputation through hardships and regained strength to achieve its mission like any other university in a war torn country. .

Our commitment to our students is unrelenting. Over the last 10 months we have invested heavily in enhancing the student experience, including a step that no other university has ever taken. We have set up a well functioning computer lab and clinical laboratory.

The University of Somalia represents a new generation of universities. It draws from the past and designs the future. But it lives and breathes in the present. Through the University of Somalia, students become vitally connected to the world they inhabit - a world of ideas of challenges and possibilities.

The University will create a new model for higher education and will produce the minds that would shape the modern industrial world.

I invite you to become part of our mission and build for yourself a bright future with promise and potential.

Dr.Yahye Ali Ibrahim the President of UNISO

Somalina   

15576412470704759298210.jpg

Hawa Adam Mohamed, the founder and executive director of the Galkayo Education Centre for Peace and Development (GECPD), an organisation committed to eradicating FGM and strengthening women's political influence through human rights and literacy campaigns that have reached more than 7,600 women since 1999.

The Somali women's rights movement started in the late 1970s, but was impeded by the civil war in 1991.

"It was set back 40 years in time," maintains Hawa, who fled the war to Canada, where she continued lobbying for women in Somalia before returning and founding the GECPD in 1996. By then there were no longer signs of public debate and awareness of women's rights in a country troubled by killings and the power politics of local warlords.

Civil war still plagues parts of Somalia, making it very hard to travel around. Although the women's rights movement has spread beyond Puntland, it is difficult to coordinate the struggle on a national scale.

Religious justification of female circumcision is common in Somalia, but Hawa argues that the practice of circumcision is not found in the Koran, but in the nation's culture and tradition. She continues to educate religious teachers about the dangers of FGM and has managed to establish dialogue with a few.

"In the beginning, the work at GECPD was very difficult. FGM was taboo. People did not want to talk and threw rocks at us and the buildings we worked in. Today, at least, we are able to create some debate about Somali traditions."

Last year, the GECPD launched a more visible and confrontational women's rights movement in Somalia. With Hawa Mohammed as one of the key figures, the GECPD managed to organise and coordinate the unprecedented "Zero Tolerance For FGM" demonstration on International Women's Day, Mar. 8.

"We were scared. But we had no choice. We'd discussed women's rights for years. Activists were asking, what next? We'd exhausted the talking," says Hawa about the demonstration, which drew more than 20,000 people -- including the Puntland vice president and five cabinet ministers.

The demonstration passed peacefully and raised awareness about the dangers of FGM among the people of Puntland.

"The demonstration created debate, a debate which is still going on today. And dialogue at least brings new questions," says Hawa.

More than 98 percent of Somali women have suffered genital mutilation, according to Equality Now, the New York-based women's rights group that nominated Mohamed for the Ginetta Sagan Award. By educating young people, the GECPD hopes to promote a more open debate about FGM and women's rights in Somalia.

"We must use education as the vehicle, to bring young people on board to take over, and we must promote the good traditions as well. Somali culture has very good values, such as respect, sharing and support. But it is unacceptable to continue female genital mutilation. And to say no, that needs courage, commitment, and principally belief," she emphasised.

Hawa Aden Mohamed collects the 11th Ginetta Sagan Award Friday at Amnesty International's annual general meeting in Austin, Texas. Sagan was a founder of Amnesty International USA. As a member of the Italian Resistance, she was imprisoned and tortured during World War II.

March 2007