Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Marrying a Shia

SeeKer   

Its simple really. Can a sunni marry a shia and make it work or is there something between the doctorines that would cause there to be no union whatsoever? I know some basic stuff about the shia madhab but that was through my interaction with school mates (went to shiat school), so I don't know for sure if its allowed for sunnis to be in union with them.

Jzk for any input.

ElPunto   

^They're Muslims no? Don't see why you oculdn't have a union. You would have to make sure to teach your kids the proper stuff though.

Ameen   

Assalam alaikum

A similar question was posted on Islamqa.com and the (very knowledgable) shiek responded by saying,

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We Sunnis wish all people well, and we ask Allaah to guide all those who are misled and to reward all those who obey Him. We hope that Allaah will guide those Raafidis…

The differences between the Ahl al-Sunnah (Sunnis) and the Raafidis are very great and are fundamental. For example, the Raafidis say that the Qur’aan was altered, and they condemn most of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) and think that they went astray; they exaggerate about their imaams and worship them, and give them precedence over the Prophets and angels; they go on pilgrimages to mashhads (shrines) and graves, where they do all kinds of actions of shirk, associating others in worship with Allaah. They also believe in hypocrisy (as a tenet of faith) and call it taqiyah (dissimulation), and they believe in al-badaa’(the notion that Allaah “changes His mind”), al-raj’ah (the Return, i.e., the raising of the dead to life again for some time in the same form as they were before) and absolute infallibility of their imaams, and in prostrating on a handful of clay…

We advise you to read "Al-Khutoot al-‘Areedah" by Muhibb al-Deen al-Khateeb [this book is available in English – Translator], or Mukhtasar al-Tuhfat al-Ithna’ ‘Ashariyyah by al-Dahlawi, or Fikrat al-Taqreeb bayna Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Shee’ah by Naasir al-Qaffaari.

And we advise you not to think of marrying this man… Whoever gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with something better. We ask Allaah to make you strong and grant you a good life in this world and in the Hereafter.

(I hope his answer can bring light to the confusion you may have had)

And Allah knows best

Taliban   

Originally posted by SeeKer:

Can a sunni marry a shia and make it work or is there something between the doctorines that would cause there to be no union whatsoever?

As a Sunni Muslim, the question that concerns me isn't "Can a sunni marry a shia", it's; Does a Sunni want to marry a Shia? Why? Because Shia allow muta' (short term convenience) marriage. See, as far as anyone knows, a Shia woman could have married 10 different men in a span of few years. Now, who would want to marry a woman who has gone through 10 marriages with 10 different men? Not me.

SeeKer   

Its confusing the mixed messages out there. I found this fatwa and I still haven't found refutations to it.

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT, THE MERCIFUL Text of the Verdict (Fatwa) Issued by His Excellency Shaikh al-Akbar Mahmood Shaltoot, Head of the al-Azhar University, on Permissibility of Following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" School of Thought

His Excellency was asked:

Some believe that, for a Muslim to have religiously correct worship and dealing, it is necessary to follow one of the four known schools of thought, whereas, "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah" school of thought is not one of them nor "al-Shia al-Zaidiyyah." Do your Excellency agree with this opinion, and prohibit following "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" school of thought, for example?

His Excellency replied:

1) Islam does not require a Muslim to follow a particular Madh'hab (school of thought). Rather, we say: every Muslim has the right to follow one of the schools of thought which has been correctly narrated and its verdicts have been compiled in its books. And, everyone who is following such Madhahib [schools of thought] can transfer to another school, and there shall be no crime on him for doing so.

2) The Ja'fari school of thought, which is also known as "al-Shia al- Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" (i.e., The Twelver Imami Shi'ites) is a school of thought that is religiously correct to follow in worship as are other Sunni schools of thought. Muslims must know this, and ought to refrain from unjust prejudice to any particular school of thought, since the religion of Allah and His Divine Law (Shari'ah) was never restricted to a particular school of thought. Their jurists (Mujtahidoon) are accepted by Almighty Allah, and it is permissible to the "non-Mujtahid" to follow them and to accord with their teaching whether in worship (Ibadaat) or transactions (Mu'amilaat).

Signed, Mahmood Shaltoot.

The above Fatwa was announced on July 6, 1959 from the Head of al-Azhar University

Taliban, not all shias practice the short term engagement. We now know you won't marry a shia but my question wasn't a personal Q, rather a fact finding Q. What does the books say? What verses and sunnah is there? What differences would be too hard to ignore? All that good stuff.

Jzk Ameen for that reply, I saw that reply on Islam Q and A but I couldn't find those books when I google searched them. If you got a site that I can access I would love to read more.

The question like yours has also been asked from the other side. Here are some of the answers given on Grand Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Husayni Sistani web site.

§ Question : Can a Shi'i girl marry a Sunni boy?

§ Answer : If there is a fear of being misled, it is not permissible.

§ Question : I am in a secret marriage with a Sunni girl and recently read on your site that it is not permissible to marry a Sunni girl without her fathers permission. Is our marriage valid?

§ Answer : The aforesaid marriage would be invalid, if the wife was virgin. Based on precaution, even she was independent in her livelihood. Of course, the marriage would be valid, if her father refuses to absolutely interfere in her marriage.

You can check how the Shiia see it also:

http://sistani.org/html/eng/main/index.php?

Taliban   

Originally posted by SeeKer:

Taliban, not all shias practice the short term engagement.

You didn't get it. There's no need to twist the definition of mut'a marriage (short term convenience marriage for sex and fun); it's marriage, not "engagement" as you allege. There's a difference between marriage and engagement or someone married and someone engaged. Of course not "all" Shias practice it, but the majority do it. So why would I risk marrying a Shia woman who practiced mut'a marriage? Besides, a Shia woman is allowed to lie (taqiyya or dissimulation) and not tell me the truth that she practiced mut'a marriage.

NGONGE   

^^^ How about a Sunni woman that practised 'Misyaar' marraige?

Seeker, I'm not scholar but I'm sure most scholars and sane people would agree with me when I say: if in doubt, stay away.

ps

Nur spoke about this topic several times in the past. I think it’s an ugly, divisive and pointless discussion to have in such a forum as this. But if you’re really interested, try to check out the two (maybe three) threads Nur started on this topic. Very informative ones (if you can tear yourself away from the venom within the threads).

NGONGE   

^^^ I'm sure that link made great sense to you, saaxib. I'm ashmed to say that it didn't make any sense to me though. Take two, take two (and I'm not talking about wives here). :D

Nur   

Ngonge bro.

You write:

(if you can tear yourself away from the venom within the threads)

I will toss it off, I promise, could you please point it out as a service, no one needs venom.

Nur

SeeKer   

^^^Lol up to your old antics. I tried to do a search before I posted the Q but nothing came up. Maybe it got lost or my keywords are wrong.

Taliban, first off taaqiyah is only supposed to be used in terms of danger and people who misuse it are not really practicing are they. As for mut'a marriage if you read their text its intentions are meant to be noble. Here is another case in which it is misused and misunderstood by people who listen instead of read. Anyway Allahu ya3lam we all have our own beliefs and stand by it. I was having this arguement with someone and realized I didn't know much about what shias are about except the propaganda being said about them.

Ngo' post the link to Nur's thread. I will protect myself against the venom accordingly.