Sign in to follow this  
J.Lee

High school Experience

J.Lee   

I understand from reading posts most of the Nomads are either in Unis or colleges..but I was wondering what your high school experience was like?

Mine was and still is Dessspicable!....I'm about to graduate insha'allah in june... and this has been THE worst year..The school climate is utterly ridiculous...Some Teachers are using the "N" word to get their point across.. Due to that fact we're always having News Cameras and the NAACP interupt our learning and hound us...Plus there is this hate that exists between the Somali and black students. They refer to the somalis as "ethis" or "African Booty scratchers"..or you'll hear "speak african" (while cackling their tongue like they speak xhosa)or "if you don't like us then go back to Africa"... then at some point a somali would say "Atleast I came on a boeing 747 while your ancestors were chained on the bottom of ships"..(that is wrong!!!).Actually it is past hate.....it utter loathing on both parts!!! ...fights (brutal) are an everyday occurance to the point students are bringing Guns to schools even between somalis...The administration is stressed about being calling racist and pigs therefore not doing their job.....It's like something straight out of Boston Public or Dangerous Minds....*sighs* Trully F!cked up.....All I can say is....I got only a month to go insha'allah....

Miriam1   

Wow..i cant say my school experience was of the same nature as yours, but thats dramatic..

I hated Highschool, but it wasnt only the people i was new to the country nd' culture shock and so..but nontheless being the only somali...and not having many people to relate to who werent white suburban kids...i swear they are from another planet...so up to my 11th grade it was an awful boring place, few good memories..but univ is great and..totally making up for the lost times !

Ps.Where do u reside?

boxer   

oh my high school days was fun never had trouble with anyone and sorry to hear that u didn't enjoy. u reminding me of my old days at mpls at some school called ROOSEVELT HIGH yup i moved from there and finally started to love high school i really did even tho u mention boston public my school isn't that far from that and even worse than u can imagine forget bout gang my high school was second largest high school in northeastern region, and its home for both bloods and cripps.

anyways my last two years of high school was like seting on swivel chair and sipping cup of hot chacolete not caring cleaning up. they treaded me like a hero almost everyone from the principal to the janitor knew who i was but not many knew me personally. :D everymorning sitting in my homeroom and at the anouncement its like they singing my name even tho they hard time figuring out my last name from first name. there wasn't too many somalis in my school but the once in there were real proud of me. they be walking in the hallways and nodding their head saying yup thats my cuz. it was funny that sometimes i heard ppl who talking bout me without knowing how i look or sometimes sitting with or close to me at the cafe

anyways u now thinking what the heck did this bro did in high school ;) can u gues what is it?

i ran track & cross-country for the school for 3 seasons every year and put the school logo on the top of many lists just like many nomads i fraimed my name in the history of that school my purpose was to learn me some english but it was coinsedence that i was the best runner that they ever had oh shoot was i bragging sorry wallahi it came out innocent tho forgiveness i was just sharing

High school utterly sucked for me in one way, and completely passed me by in another.

I spent all my time styling my hair and putting on different shades of lippy each day.

...and flirting.

It is a wonder I was able to get any GCSE's at all. redface.gif

Oh, but I did luv most of my teachers. Except my KS3 math teacher.

NoVa   

^^Bee were u like one of those girlz that'll come to school every mornin' with timo biyo and saliid ka buuxdo??? aqas saa u' necbaan jiray specially' some of them suugo baa ka soo' uri jirtay...ileen crew'gaas adigaa ka mid'eheed :D :cool:

Ms.Word, abaayo sorry to hear all those dilema...what the hell i thought all those fights were over???? guess some places in this world still are facing...what city do u live?? I ain't mad@ya for hatin' ya school like da...so get the hell out of there ASAP..2 months 2 go..don't worry..Ur' Out of there Insha allah.

All i gotta say is high school was great place 2 be specially if u spend 6.5 years being there lol ;) (alright i had a crush on this guy that loved coming back 2 school every samister for 8 years)loool jkssssss...i ain't gonna say goin' to classes were fun but when u have another 2 or 3 somali mates up there, it's always fun...u know talkin on ur own language while u'll be doin' calculas 2gether without any1 else intervering or doin' physics assignment and breakin' the whole lab lol or makin the teacher's hair in 2 Yellow.....what can i say, it was always a memorable....and everytime i catch up with my high school friends for some odd reasons we spend hours and hours just talkin' bout high school days like it was yesterday...so make the best out of ur hIgh school days no matter what cuz u'll always remember back in them day's and maybe even miss hearing words like 'nayaa' in early in the morning when ur on ur worst side...

Boxer kabax...arkaale i didn't know we have another Cabdi Bile Cabdi on the go ;)

Originally posted by NoVa_*:

^^Bee were u like one of those girlz that'll come to school every mornin' with timo biyo and saliid ka buuxdo??? aqas saa u' necbaan jiray specially' some of them suugo baa ka soo' uri jirtay...ileen crew'gaas adigaa ka mid'eheed
:D
:cool:

LoooooooooL! :D

Nova..qumayo! Biyo iyo saliid kulahaa! Akhas. redface.gif

Actually, I was one of those girls who's hair had to be perfectly curled or blow-dried all the time. I even used to sleep with rollers sometimes, so they would be extra-wavy in the morning...lol. I dont know where I used to get the energy from, coz I can hardly be bothered to comb them nowadays, let alone blow-dry n straighten them. redface.gif

Iffah   

Lool - Nova...qarxis aad wadaa yaah. Look at Barwaaqo stuttering now... hehe.

MsWord :eek: ...I always wondered if the schools in the states were like the ones we see on TV or the movies. Keep ur head up tho, U only got 2 months!

Don't mean to rub it in ( smile.gif ) but I loved my high school experience. The first yr (Gr 9) was a total bore. I remember me and my girl were that the only Somali girls in the 9th grade and 2 other guys who came with us from Middle school. There were many Somalis in the higher grades, but we didn't really understand what the heck they talked about so we used to hang around with the students from our grade. Then came grade 10 where all the fun begun. Somalis started pouring in! There were almost 10 Somali girls in our grade. PE was the best - imagine about 6 Somali girls in one class...non stop sheeko runtii.

School is fun when there are Somalis are around. There were fights (between somalis and other black student as usual, and between Somalis and Cadaan)..there were the hallway jokes... ;) There was one particular hallway we called the Doomsday Hall... the Somali guys ruled that hall. The girls (all girls) were scared to walk through that hall because there's about 20 guys leaning against the lockers and the minute you walk in.. they'd all stop talking and stare. Shoot, I'm glad I had brothers and cousins in that school :D

boxer   

nova there already many out there but its hard to notice....

too bad tho they run for USA

this is abdi abdirahman who is ripping the track while showing of cause he knows that he got spot in america's best long distance runners

abdiabdirahman01.jpg

Honesita   

I had 2 high school experiences...which made the second one hell...!! I was in london ontario for my 9th to 11th grade...!! I was in ESL, damn i loved those days....everyone was friendly, too many jokes and trouble, the whole school was multi cultural.....i was the popular girl who knew everyone, and hang out with every group...!!

Then i came to Ohio, to a school full of whites and some blacks....all of a sudden i found myself a complete stranger, a complete ***** who was asked everyday what kinda piece of $hit i was putting on my head...!! I started taking it off when i went to school, then they started calling me the black girl with white ppl's hair...!! Basically i was in grade 10 all over again...!! I couldnt imagine being there for 3 years...i soooo wanted to drop out....but couldnt...i adapted to it, i minded my own business.....some were nice to me, some were rude, and some were surprised when they saw me speaking English...!! For 3 years i only made 2 friends, and we still keep intouch...!! I did not even go to my graduation...but i went to pick up my diploma the next day...!! I was glad they called my name THREE times at the ceremony, so i thought 'yess, those ****** know i graduated'..lol..!!

Anywayz.....college is offfff da hook though...i luv it....call me racist or what eva...but walaahi i cant stand being surrounded by cadaan and madoow...!!!

Salaamz

boxer   

photo94.jpg

and this another friend of mine said ahmed only soph in ark and has international qualifying time in both mile and 1500m smile.gif

Woow I am impressed by these two guys. well done to them.boy do they look sudanis or what..just joking

Me never went to high school..so i guess i don't have a tale to tell huh..I took GED and went straight to college.

boxer   

Originally posted by Sareeda:

Me never went to high school...I took GED and went straight to college.

GED = Gabar Edab Darab?? :(