Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Raila Odinga claims victory in cliffhanger elections

Malika   

J.11 Insha'allah all will be khayr.I couldnt watch the news,these masheti wedging kenyans kind of scared the hell out of me,all I could think about is those caught up in this madness as usual the vulnerable e.g Somalis.

Paragon   

^^Insha-Allaah kheyr Dahia and Northerner.

The scary thing is since all major shops have been ordered to close and there is no transport, a food and air time scarcity is setting in.

You are right. If anything major is to occur, then Somalis in eastleight would surely become a target. I hope things would calm down.

---

Raila calls for a million man protest

By KENNETH OGOSIA

Last updated: 2 hours ago

Orange Democratic Movement leader Raila Odinga has called for a million-man march on Thursday to protest what they called a “civilian coup”.

Leading the party’s 100 MPs-elect, Mr Odinga said the Electoral Commission had presided over a civilian coup by declaring President Mwai Kibaki the Head of State.

They have decided to put off a public rally earlier planned for today at Nairobi’s Uhuru Park, and instead vowed to use peaceful means to force President Kibaki out of office. Today’s rally was styled as a platform for Mr Odinga to address the nation as the President-elect.

The party said they had already issued the requisite three-day notice to the police about the Thursday march, expected to take place in all major towns in the country. Party supporters will wear black bands, cloths and carry twigs only.

“We are law abiding citizens of Kenya who do not want to give anybody an opportunity to claim the laws were ignored. They are now informed that Kenyans will demand back power the ECK had given Mr Kibaki in a civilian coup,” Mr Odinga said.

Addressing journalists at Orange House after an ODM National Executive Committee and Parliamentary Group meeting, Mr Odinga accused the police provoking and killing people in total disregard to the mandate they had given him to be President.

He appealed for peace and calm saying hooliganism and criminal acts would not provide the way forward to the impasse created by ECK chairman Mr Samuel Kivuitu and asked the international community to intervene and save Kenya from losing its glory as Africa’s democratic state.

“We deliberated over weighty issues regarding the elections and rigging that took place. We are pained and saddened that within 48 hours democracy we fought so hard to bring is strangled and killed by a small clique of people,” he said.

He said the country was in a state of mourning and the funeral atmosphere will engulf the peaceful demonstration on Thursday. He said the ECK chairman had acted irresponsibly as though he doesn’t live in the country to provide its citizens with their legally elected “ President”.

Mr Odinga accused Internal security minister Mr John Michuki of using maximum force in the belief that if it sustained for two or three days then Kenyans will give up.

“We will not recognise Kibaki as the President of Kenya and will fight him out of office through peaceful and legal means,” he said.

He however ruled out going to court about an obvious fact and wondered whether the premise of the law had changed for him to prove that he was the winner against the loser.

“If he is not guilty why does he seclude himself in State House at dusk to be sworn in without the media, diplomats, observers and other Heads of States,” he added.

Paragon   

A sad day for Kenyan Muslims (nfdonline Nairobi)

It’s a history for America to remain silent amidst rigging allegations in Kenya’s awaited presidential results, while other international observers have raised concerns over the irregularities evidenced in the just concluded general election results.

This has raised eyebrows in the Muslim population with the perception that America has sided with Kibaki and abandoned Raila for signing a memorandum of understanding with the marginalized muslim community.

ECK kicked out all independent media during the announcement of the final results. It was reported that ECK secretly invited KBC and ABC (American owned) and announced Kibaki as the victor.

Raila, a favourite candidate for the majority who vowed to help the poor if he wins now cries foul but to no avail. This may result violence as already witnessed in some areas.

Khadija Ali, kamukunji voter said, ‘Now that Kibaki is the winner muslims’ hope for equal rights is over and deportation of innocent muslims to various countries will continue.’

http://www.nfdonline.net/sad%20day.html

Gabbal   

Jamaal, the U.S has showed signs today that they are retracting the sound legitimacy they gave Kibaki. This is too much for them to play off.

On Monday, the U.S., whose State Department at first congratulated Kibaki on his victory, issued a statement through its Nairobi embassy saying it was concerned by "serious problems experienced during the vote counting process." "These included various anomalies with respect to unrealistically high voter turnout rates, close to 100% in some constituencies," it said.

Time

^^ :D

Horn,

Obviously, America's credibility was at stake by condoning this daylight rigged elections.

I think if this is not corrected and condomned, it will have a very bad effect on the rest of the continent.

Government supporters would have us believe that Kenyans voted decisively against the ruling party's parliamentary candidates, that they turfed out the vice-president, but that they then split their tickets to return Mr Kibaki.

It is as though President Kibaki is flicking two fingers at the international community. Yup, I stole the poll: what are you going to do about it?

N.O.R.F   

^^Are you seriously suggesting that the election results were accurate when all are pointing towards a blatant manipulation of the results? Cant say I'm surprised though ya Duke.

EU casts doubts over Kenyan poll

There are fears of further violence over the disputed election results

Kenya's presidential poll was "flawed" and "fell short of international standards", EU election monitors have said in an interim report on the poll.

Chief European Union monitor Alexander Graf Lambsdorff said the tallying process "lacked credibility".

Four Kenyan election commissioners have also expressed unease at the result.

Thousands of police and soldiers have been deployed across the country to try to stop the violence which followed the re-election of President Mwai Kibaki.

The Red Cross says at least 120 people have been killed since violence broke out in response to the disputed result.

See how the vote was split around the country

Poll doubts

EU observers said the country's election fell short of international standards.

"They were marred by a lack of transparency in the processing and tallying of presidential results, which raises concerns about the accuracy of the final results," the EU team said in a statement.

In pictures: Poll violence

Voters' views

Defiance under fire

According to the EU, in at least two constituencies - Molo and Kieni - the results that were announced did not reflect the number of votes cast.

EU observers say they heard the voting figures being announced in Molo itself, but when the same results were announced again in Nairobi, the number of votes for Mr Kibaki was significantly higher - by 25,000.

Four of the 22 Kenyan election commissioners have expressed doubts about the veracity of the figures.

One of the four, Jack Tumwa, told the BBC he felt uncomfortable as the results were read out.

"After the announcement, when an independent observer from the EU group came and said the figures given for Molo were at variance with what we had announced, that really struck me hard," he told the BBC.

"That's why we felt if that is true - and I'm also saying if that is true - then perhaps it was spread all over. But this is yet to be ascertained."

Mr Kibaki was declared the winner on Sunday after a controversial three-day counting process.

His defeated challenger, Raila Odinga, said he was robbed of victory by alleged fraud.

All I see is a close election. Western news articles [that makes African's look bad] is not any proof I dont much care for it, but old Kibaki is back and Kenya will move on.

If you rigg an election you do it like the rest of Africa were one gets 80% of the vote. I think this was too close to be rigged and kibaki has support from the largest tribe and some others.