Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Embrace TFG now before....

Baashi   

Embrace TFG before it is too late. Why?

With all its shortcomings, the TFG has the backing of the "world". With money and guns it will be able to line up its fav warlords and enough sub-clans to establish itself before any meaningful challenge can emerge.

I don't see anyway out short of full blown civil war. And civil war is not a way out of this mess. I don't want us to end up like Iraq and Afghanistan. A puppet government propped up by outside powers and a sizable segment of the population resisting the sects or the clans alligned with the alien forces. You don't want that kind of mess. No one wins and all Somalis will lose big.

Instead embrace them with conditions. Here is my idea.

1. Full amnesty for the Islamists leadership.

2. Reconcilliation meeting in Mogadishu.

3. Revised constitution.

4. National vote to ratify the drafted constitution.

4. Clear succession plan (with defined date).

In the meantime Somalis need to focus on security. With security you can preempt the peace keeping argument. Trust me Ethiopians have served their purpose as far as Uncle Sam is concerned. Soon the UN will insist on their withdrawal and Uncle Sam will support that motion.

Add that the political tug of war in the upcoming presedential elections. Dems will critisize the military adventures of the GOP. And GOP will not turn the other cheek for Ethiopia's sake.

Baashow, waxa la yidhi:Miro faraqa ku jiro kuwo geed saaran looma daadiyo!

This is as good as it get as I see it. I am starting to believe that an irreconcilable dichotomy between the wishs of Somlis back home and the diaspora. The first is driven by interest and the other by ideals. One thing is very clear, getting out of the mess that is Somalia will require people to be little bet more pragmatic. How can people demand an ideal salution to a most unideal setuation?

Liqaye   

Baashi said:

With all its shortcomings, the TFG has the backing of the "world". With money and guns it will be able to line up its fav warlords and enough sub-clans to establish itself before any meaningful challenge can emerge.

I don't see anyway out short of full blown civil war. And civil war is not a way out of this mess. I don't want us to end up like Iraq and Afghanistan. A puppet government propped up by outside powers and a sizable segment of the population resisting the sects or the clans alligned with the alien forces. You don't want that kind of mess. No one wins and all Somalis will lose big.

. Reconcilliation meeting in Mogadishu.

3. Revised constitution.

4. National vote to ratify the drafted constitution

In the meantime Somalis need to focus on security. With security you can preempt the peace keeping argument. Trust me Ethiopians have served their purpose as far as Uncle Sam is concerned. Soon the UN will insist on their withdrawal and Uncle Sam will support that motion.

Add that the political tug of war in the upcoming presedential elections. Dems will critisize the military adventures of the GOP. And GOP will not turn the other cheek for Ethiopia's sake.

Brother Baashi the rhetorical questions that you have posed at the beggining of the post is the most difficult to be answered by the keyboard waranles on S.O.L what is the alternative at the present time to the T.F.G in mogadishu, the population have the weapons not a definable group, the I.C.U are being hunted down like vermin an impasse and situation they led themselves to, the good old bhoys [warlords] are back in town and like the proverbial cat will land on their feet if the the T.F.G survives or if xamar falls back into mindless chaos.

Except the keyboard waranles who will have more fodder for their virtual battles.

. Reconcilliation meeting in Mogadishu.

3. Revised constitution.

4. National vote to ratify the drafted constitution

Brother the above I think are just intellectual constructs to make what is the reality on the ground more platable, also looking at the track record of the T.F.G I fail to see the above happening but I shall reserve judgement till you make the proposals a bit clearer taking into consideration which changes you wish to see in the revised constitution the timeframe the ultimate arbiter of the processes U.N A.U. or otherwisse e.t.c

as a footnote you might see what the Democrats longterm aim is, and that is to be seen to be tough on terrorism, did you watch nancy pelosi's inaugaration and her "redpolyment of forces in iraq speech" all the T.F.G needs to do is harp upon the clear and present danger of terrorism [which shall be fullfilled soon enough in Kenya probably] and the dems would be willing and indeed eager to fund an african peace keeping mission in somalia one that I beleive wilkl work infinitely better than the moryaans cum police forces the T.F.G will attempt to keep peace with.

Abwaan   

Sxb ….Baashi I think it is not up to you, me and our SOL colleagues to prevent Somalia becoming like Iraq and Afghanistan but the majority of this responsibility lies with the so-called TFG officials whom most of their interviews and comments are rarely positive let alone that they something positive for Somalia.

I agree with the 5 suggestions you brought forward and believe that could be the start of new beginning for Somalia but we already see the puppet government speeding towards the opposite direction. Therefore don’t you think it is too late?

Waxaan aaminsanahay in dastuurkii lagu diyaarshey Shirkii Mbagathi uusan sheegayn in jagooyin aan macne lahayn la kala boobo oo la iska magacaabo, waxaase dhabtu tahay inuu gundhig u yahay qorshaha looga gollahaane uu ahaa DIB-U-HESHIISIIN haddane waxaan aragnaa in hoggaamiye ku sheegyada lagu soo doortay Kenya ayba indho-adaygooda ay keeneen in musuqmaasuq aan la malaysan karin iyadoo ay Soomaali ka soo daashay ay hadda la yimaadeen. Bal dib ugu noqo, shakhsiyaad badan oo Geeddi iyo C/llaahi Jagooyin u magacaabeen waxaadna ogaan doontaa inay inta badan gebi ahaanba hareereeyeen eex, qabiil, shaqsiyaad aan lahayn aqoon ayna ka dheertahay karti iyo hufnaan iyo weliba kuwo dalka hore dembi uga galay mid xagga musuqmaasuqa ay iyo mid gummaad ahba. And if you need a proof for this I can fill up the whole page.

Waa yaab!

Fabregas   
Originally posted by Baashi:

[

With all its shortcomings, the TFG has the backing of the world. With money and guns it will be able to line up its fav warlords and enough sub clans to establish itself before any meaningful challenge can emerge.

:confused: :confused:

Castro   

Looking to beat Koshin Mohamed for that Ambassador-designate spot yaa Baashi? Please don't be offended but you walked right into that.

Taliban   

Why? Why embrace traitors? They "invited" the Ethiopians, fought side by side with them, displaced tens thousands, bombed and slaughtered thousands innocent Somalis. Somalia, a country with very low HIV/AIDS prevalence is bound to become a country with the highest HIV/AIDS prevalence, thanks to the TFG. The TFG will rule Somalia with a constitution based on human laws (English, French, iwm), not a constitution ordained by Islam (Sharia'). That means alcohol consumption, abortion, illegal sexual relationships, same-sex relationships, prostitution, gambling, interest and usury will be allowed in Somalia. So no, I don't see how we (well at least me) can embrace the TFG.

NGONGE   

The TFG needs to win hearts and minds, saaxib. Ok, strike the minds bit.

It’s almost impossible to do that in our rumour operated society. At the moment, and because Mr Yusuf is president, most other people perceive the TFG as an organisation driven, controlled and manipulated by one and only one clan. It may be a wrong perception and might even be an absurd one but that’s how things stand.

One of the many things that will pacify these other clans (lets just be blunt for a bit, shall we) would be the voluntary resignation of Mr Yusuf (a forced removal would be more convincing and might stem the rumour mills a bit but that’s very unlikely). The man stands as a living representation (in the eyes of everyone else) of all that is bad about his clan (rightly or wrongly of course). As long as he is president, he will have opposition from almost all sides.

Still, if I was to be asked to name one Somali person that would have the ability, cunning and slyness to control all the disruptive factions in the TFG and always remain one step ahead of the opposition, I really can’t look beyond Mr Yusuf. He, love him or hate him, towers over all else before him. Yet, he is also handicapped by most people’s opposition to him personally. It’s a catch-22 here and one can never imagine a way out of this (other than a resignation).

I don’t know if there will be an insurgency as most observers keep telling us. Even if there is, I doubt it will be anything large scale. Then again, our fellow Somalis never cease to surprise us with they way the think and their motivations for acting the way they do. Still, the only thing I’m sure of is that the political games, arguments and fallouts will be very spectacular and I’m not planning to miss a day of it all.

Paragon   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by Baashi:

Looking to beat Koshin Mohamed for that Ambassador-designate spot yaa Baashi? Please don't be offended but you walked right into that.
Yup. Sometimes, 'neutrality' pays smile.gif , especially when such neutrality embraces the victor's status quo.

Dantii Garad! Carryon Baashi.

Coloow   

Baashi, I think you should add the resignation of Abdullahi Yusuf, Geedi, Caydid and the rest of the warlord government to the list of conditions! That is something that might even gain support from the supporters of the TFG.

Ngonge: Abdullahi Yusuf resigning? If he resigns or kicks the basket, you will find his relatives on SOL supporting the insurgency. You will read their statements claiming that the other members of the TFG are terrorists (which they are)! while a new bunch of supporters would emerge praising the new "president".

Liqaye   

Ineed it is good that all of you can have the luxury of principals, but in the ground in mogadishu most assuredly that is not the major consideration, people could care less for the broad sweeping ideoligies that are so endearing to the somalis in the diaspora far from the hubbub and madding crowd.

Secondly why is it so difficult to directly argue with the IDEAS that Brother Baashi has put foward rather than making snide remarks and calling into question his personal integrity, which is most assuredly not the point,for there are people on this forum that are in much greater danger of having that particular accusation leveled against them also if people have not noticed this is an internet forum and all such accusations are transistory. Why do we insist on accusing cyber entities of such silly notions?

Futile.

ElPunto   

^Good plan Baashi - although I wouldn't say 'embrace' - I would say give them a chance. Be as 'neutral' as you can be for now and let's see what happens. Too many are too bitter and disappointed to embrace their conquerors. Nor is it quite fair to ask ppl to embrace a group that is unproven and has so many shady folks in it.

Also, I wouldn't give amnesty to all the ICU leadership. Mr. Aweys has gotta to go - he started fire in Puntland, then Gedo then Baidoa. Three strikes and you're out. The Shariif I like even though he is prone to hyperbole and intemperate remarks. He strikes me as the epitome of a macaqool man. It is in the interest of the TFG not to conduct a scorched earthy policy and ensure that opponents are invited into the process if not coopted.

Coloow   

The Point,"Nor is it quite fair to ask ppl to embrace a group that is unproven and has so many shady folks in it"

Subxaanalah. they have a track record!

Hussein Aydid attacked innocent civilians in Xamar. Went to Bay and Bakool to murder people.

Abdullahi Yusuf is responsible for the disintegration of somalia.

Maxamed Dheere, Muuse suudi, Caato, Hiirrale ,Qanyare have killed more somalis than anything other person.

These thugs make Aweys looks like an angel.

ElPunto   

^Oh boy - is the ICU free from such folks??

Let's face it folks. There will be 'unsavoury' folks on the Somali political scene for at least another generation. The key tests are: the process by which those in charge are chosen and what kind of governance they produce. The process for the TFG was out in the open though far from ideal and now that they seem to be 'in charge' - let's see what they do. That is all that I'm saying.