Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

SOMALIA: Another delegate dies mysteriously in Nairobi

Gabbal   

NAIROBI, 6 Nov 2003 (IRIN) - A delegate attending the ongoing Somali peace talks in Kenya has died, just two weeks after the mysterious murder in Nairobi of a senior member of Somalia's Transitional National Government.

Ahmad Rashid Muhammad, a Somali with Canadian citizenship, reportedly collapsed and died early on Thursday morning at the Kenya College of Communication Technology (KCCT), Mbagathi, the venue of the talks.

A statement from the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the facilitator of the talks, said the cause of the delegate's death was still unclear, and police were investigating "this unfortunate incident".

The statement, signed by John Lanyasunya, Kenya's special envoy to Somalia and chairman of the IGAD facilitation committee, appealed for calm among the anxious delegates, promising that "no stone will be left unturned to ascertain whether Ahmad either died of natural causes or otherwise".

Meanwhile, security would be strengthened in the conference venue and areas of accommodation for the delegates, Lanyasunya added.

According to a Somali source in Mbagathi, the delegate was seen staggering and gasping for air moments before he collapsed on the floor of KCCT restaurant, injuring his chin. "It is too early to speculate on what killed him, unless further tests are done," the source said.

The source, who declined to be named for security reasons, said Ahmad was not an influential faction leader, but was active at the talks, representing one of the two major factions of the ********* Resistance Army controlling the Baidoa region of southwestern Somalia. Although his death was not expected to have a major impact on the talks, it was still likely to increase mistrust and suspicion among the various rival factions, he added.

Last month, another Somali delegate was found murdered in a forest on the outskirts of Nairobi. The body of Shaykh Ibrahim Ali Abdulle, a prominent Mogadishu-based businessman and member of Somalia's Transitional National Assembly, was on 19 October found with a bullet wound in the head in the Ololua forest, alongside the bodies of two Kenyans. The police have since arrested a Kenyan member of parliament in connection with the murder.

Meanwhile, United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has urged Somali leaders to persevere with their search for an agreement on a viable and inclusive national government. Somalia has had no central governing authority since civil war broke out in the country in 1991, with the overthrow of former President Muhammad Siyad Barre.

"Somali leaders face the historic challenge of bridging their differences in order to reach agreement on a viable government. I urge them to continue their dialogue to ensure an inclusive solution that they can all support and implement in good faith," Annan said in his latest report to the UN Security Council. "The international community is becoming increasingly impatient with the continued conflict and violence in Somalia," he noted.

Annan's report also expressed concern over recent incidents of violence in the capital, Mogadishu, including the rape of children and the dismemberment of a young woman. "Mounting criminality in Mogadishu includes frequent abductions, carjackings and civilian deaths," he said.

OG Moti   

Now only now I can say I lost hope in Somalia, low life people in kenya deciding our faith while we fall inline on the welfare in everywhere, our girls got raped, AIDs has arrived, our people got killed in USA like ants, and most of All

Serial Killer has emerged from Great city of Mogadisho, we now officially have all the dirt of the world....

yes!! Serial killers in Somalia, and some has been stoped by the sociaty but serial killers who kill for fun in inhumane way has emerged from Mogdisho to Hargeysa..... Somali Alaha unxariisto, to me i my heart bleeds with sadness, and now i beleive i may not see Somalia again, ramadan kariim ...peace

OG_Girl   

well, who cares if one of those warlords dead or even been killed!!. bounch of loosers in kenya want to make our home land more misreable!!.

god help us .

salaam

Changed   

is he a war lord? the canadian passport

confused part me :confused:

if he is not influential why was he killed?

sounds like he was poisoned at the kcc restutrant to me :(

God bless His heart ameeen smile.gif

horn where did u get the article from bro?

SJ   

Mohamed was my neigbour couple of years back and it is unfortunate to to hear what some of you gotta to say bout him without knowing him at all. He was quite religious man. I’m sure not every1 attending the peace talks in Kenya is a warlord.

Ilaah ha u naxariisto.

Matkey   

Before we make any disparaging comments about this brother, I would highly suggest you guys make little effort to know who this person is and what his objective of being in Kenya was. For that reason alone we can save ourselves from committing a sin. It is a sin to disseminate a false accusation about another Muslim brother when none of us really knows anything about him. This is an article that briefly talks about his involvement in reconciliation and peace process, and as well as his autobiography. But Allah knows what his intention of partaking in this meeting was. Well that is not up to us, or is it? We can’t speculate about things that are not obvious to us.

Ramadan Karim.

Here is a brief article about the marxuum

Marxuum Axmed Rashiid Sheikh Maxamed QulQule waxaa uu ku dhashay Tuulada Misra ee ka tirsan deegaanka Diinsoor sannadku markuu ahaa 1965. Tacliintiisa hoose waxa uu ku dhammeystay degmada Diinsoor. 1983 ayuu ka qalinjibiyey Dugsiga Sare ee 11ka Janaayo ee degmada Baydhabo. Sannadku markuu ahaa 1990 ayuu waxabrashadisii jaamacadeed ka bilaabay dalka Kuwait isaga ku taqasusay qaybta Maamulka "Managment".

Marxuum Axmed Rashiid waxa uu shaqadiisii ugu horeysay ka bilaabay Majalada Islaamiga ah ee loo yaqaano Al-Mujtamac halkaas kuu shaqeynayey Muddo shan sanno ah isaga oo ka gaaray heer maamul "Manager". Marxuumka wuxuu ku xeel dheera qoritaanka iyo ku hadalka afka carabiga. Wuxuuna dhowr maqaal ku soo qoray wargeysada ka soo baxa wadamada Cararbta.

Axmed Rashiid wuxuu ahaa nin aad u firfircoon una dhuundaloola Siyaasadda Soomaaliya. Mar walibana jeclaa in uu arko waddanka Soomaaliya oo dowlad iyo nabad galyo ka dhacdo. Wuxuu sannadihii dambe ku noolaa Magaalada Ottawa ee dalka "Canada". Wuxuuna aad uga dhex muuqday Jaaliyadda Soomaaliyeed ee magaaladan Ottawa.

Marxuum Axmed Rashiid wuxuu muddo sannad ah ku maqnaa shirka dib u heshiinsiinta Soomaaliyeed ee hadda ka socda dalka Kenya. Waxa uuna ka mid ahaa guddiga loo xil saaray dib u habeynta dastuurka. Wuxuuna qayb weyn ka qaatay dib u heshiinsiintii beelaha Digel iyo Mirfle ee dhawaan ka dhacay Mbigathi halkaas oo lagu heshiisiiyay garbaha siyaasadda isku haysto ee uruka RRA.

Halkaan ka dhageyso warbixintii xasan bariiso ee la xiriirta dilka Marxuum Axmed Rashiid Sheikh Maxmaed QulQule

Allah hu naxariisto eheladiisana sabar iyo imaan haka siiyo.

Coloow   

This guy attended A PEACE CONFERENCE!!!!! He is a peace martyr who despite living in the comfort of the west wanted to bring changes to the war ravaged somalia.

may Allah reward him with a place in Janna.

Comparing him with warlords and murderers is an insult to the many other somalis who have dedicated their lives to reconciliation!