Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

The Politics Section in its Current Stage.

Gabbal   

In the past month or so the politics section has itself been denigrated into a Qabiil fiefdom, being fought over by opposing kinsmen, in terms of our Qabiil society.

It is notable to mention that this "Qabiil War" has been and is being perpetuated by members of the two respective Qabiil majorities of "Puntland" and "Somaliland".

By the reading the terms of service of this forum, one can see that SOL is not tool for propaganda for warring qabiils.

it is also notable to mention that the designated moderators and the Admins have done little and are doing little to stop this Qabiil trash talking. I think its time the Moderators and Admins try to restore back the respect nomads have had for SOL, and more importantly the Politics Section.

WARNING :eek: :eek: Failure to stop this Qabiil Battle will result in a Somalinet like reputation!

You no what my stance is on this issue, i pretty much quit somali/politics debates because of the exact reason that you have outlined.

You would hope that they would be a minimal need for moderation, lakiin we (coz all of us who do still contribute to somali/politics issues) havent lived up to the ideal standards of discourse as outlined in the admin document so what to do?

Ban people? because its not always garanteed that people do listne to moderators when the clarify certain rules or regulations, quite often the do quite the opposite of what was advised

I think those who do still contribute to the poltics section should adopt a policy of self-moderation first and certainly disipline. If you simple find that u cannot agree, or u find it offends you, then a private messege to the relevant moderator should be you first point of call, rather than a swift inflamatory repost.

Deeq A.   

HornAfrique, we agree 100% that some members are ignoring our policy with new tactics.

The main problem is not what members write here. Most of the nomads are respectful and don't get into qabiil bickerings.

The new problem we face is the growing qabiil-bashing, hateful articles some nomads cut and paste from other websites.

Like Shujui said, nomads need to do their part on keeping a leash on themselves.

We will try to delete any article with qabiil names because we just don't have the time lexury to go through and edit every single one of them. We might as well bring back our old "delete" policy.

Nomads, please edit the qabiil names from your piece before you post it or else it will be gone. No one will edit it for you.

As far as insults and personal attacks, that will not be tolerated and anyone who is a victim of that should let us know.

ADMIN said:

"We might as well bring back our old "delete" policy...

As far as insults and personal attacks, that will not be tolerated and anyone who is a victim of that should let us know."

LOL

Now you guys sound like the Nazi SS (secret police)!

ANYWAYS, I have to agree with all 3 of you!

Peace

not all SOL members are qabilists but we have to recognise the complexity of somali politics and loyalties. whenever there is political crisis in somalia then SOL nomads reflect that and use SOL as therapy to them. SOL will never become like Somalinet because here we have hardworking moderators. i myself had one post removed but i never complained as i accepted their judgement.

Saalixa   

horn afrique sister,

all true, and thats why i don't come here often, i first go to islmic and the women sction, then probably to poems and debates,(love the debating team here in sol) but rarely do i visit the politics side of sol, and if this continues, we will lose alot of sol nomads, just like somalinet.

we have a good family here i hope we don't ever resemble or end up like somalinet.

Liqaye   

I suggest that admin deletes all articles with qabil names, the first thing that attracted me here was the absolute absence of qabiil names and/or bashing, as some have said new unfortunate ways of clan labeling have emerged.

On such occasions I follow the following saying

"Nin waliba wuxuu yahay ayuu ku moodaa"

I hope this is not true.

Although i might have diffrences with some nomads, i believe that they are over ideals and prescriptions for somalia.

And nothing else.

Coloow   

Suaasha taagan waxay tahay: Maxaa dhuuso kaste oo ka soo yeerta puntland iyo somaliland loogu soo bandhigaaa goobtaan? Ula ma jeedo, doodaha ku saabsan horumarka aay gaareen ummadda somaliyeed oo ku dhaqan meelahaasi, laakin arrimaha siyaasada (if I want to read about what is on the editorial pages of somaliland post and puntland news, I would visit their respective homepages).

I was a member of somalinet before I joined SOL. The main reason why I left that place was to discuss issues on politics, society and economy etc with other somalis. BUT, reading the politics section on SOL leaves me with the impression that somalis everywhere can't avoid tribalism as a mechanism to discuss issues.

I visited somalinet, a few weeks ago and guess what? there was a discussion on SOL. Many contributors claimed that SOL is a tribal site in disguise. I know this is a false notion given the manner and substances of the discussions on somalinet.

Clearly, there is a bias on the part of contributors and the subjects they choose to introduce on somalinet. Puntland politics, somaliland issues and xamar bashing appears to be the norm.

How should moderators/adminstrators tackle this problem? I hate censorship. It is a tough call to keep the balance, but could a strategy of deleting editorial opinions of tribal/regional sites and newspapers be a first step?

Rahima   

Aside from the qabiil names been mentioned, most are missing another crucial point. Let us be frank with one another, some nomads here are substituting qabiil names with Puntland and Somaliland- and we all know that when some use these names they mean nothing other than certain tribes.

I personally feel that there needs to be greater control of this; personally, it infuriates me for I know it’s nothing more than tribalism in a disguised form.

Also, I feel that this section should be more about making a difference to our homeland and making a positive contribution rather than bickering about whose tribe/region is best while putting others down.

I agree with Sooyaal, this section reflects whats happening backhome and the reactions people have to current events.

However there are many disguised clantopics, such the those insulting political leaders from one region or another. Some Nomads are also using the issue of Sool and Sanag as an opportunity to insult whole regions and clans and excuse it of as Somali nationalism and arguments about morality.

Whats going on here is a simple cause and effect, people post others react to the post. Admin have a right to delete posts which are offensive and go beyound the set standards.

However i find it amusing to see some Nomads who's latest contribution have been to stir up trouble now openly complian to the admin.

Many thanks

BN   

I am way off topic, BUT... :D

I think some ppl post too many topics. In one day they start like 5 different threads. Why??? There should be a maximum of 1 per day(at least). This may convince people to take part in dicussions already underway rather then just propagating 'news' or articles from certain sites at every opportunity. More topics should be in more debate-like rather then talking about news articles. And maybe we should bring back old topics(like 1-2 years ago) since there are lots of newbiez :D

Peace,

BN

Blessed   

Originally posted by Rahima:

Aside from the qabiil names been mentioned, most are missing another crucial point. Let us be frank with one another, some nomads here are substituting qabiil names with Puntland and Somaliland- and we all know that when some use these names they mean nothing other than certain tribes.

I personally feel that there needs to be greater control of this; personally, it infuriates me for I know it’s nothing more than tribalism in a disguised form.

I agree, totaly. I find it rather interesting that Horn- feels that qabiil names should be edited when He makes comments such as; 'that state is a one qabiil entity' .. from that statement one assumes that whenever you refer to that region and it's people (which you do pretty much all the time) - your in actual fact refering to one of the qabiils ;)

Don't get me wrong- I have no problem with the views you hold about politics - laakiin daacadnimo is a virtue.

Somali politics is qabiil based - so this is an ever lasting problem. I'd suggest that ya'll seek refuge from shaytaan before you post...

AYOUB   

Ameenah walaal please don't get daacadnimo get in the way of hilarious hypocrisy. :D I suggest some member read what they wrote last time they were in here before climbing the pulpit.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Ameenah:

quote:Originally posted by Rahima:

I agree, totaly. I find it rather interesting that Horn- feels that qabiil names should be edited when He makes comments such as; 'that state is a one qabiil entity' .. from that statement one assumes that whenever you refer to that region and it's people (which you do pretty much all the time) - your in actual fact refering to one of the qabiils
;)

Don't get me wrong- I have no problem with the views you hold about politics - laakiin daacadnimo is a virtue.

Somali politics is qabiil based - so this is an ever lasting problem. I'd suggest that ya'll seek refuge from shaytaan before you post...
Ameenah sis if you refer back to my post that started this thread, you will see that I didnt't not name specific detailed names that should be blamed or not, and more importantly I did not exclude myself from my post.

I just gave a warning to the "government" of this website to do something about the Qabiil problem whether propagated by myself, Smith, Ayoub, or you. (Please don't mind my using your names Smith and Ayoub).

However when one is accusing another, the accuser should be aware of what context he/she accuses in. ;)

'that state is a one qabiil entity'

Don't put that into context walaal, give me the thread and I'll tell you whom or to what I was referring to. smile.gif

Blessed   

^^ Walaalo, it is not my intention to get into an arguement about contexts in which things are said or used. My point is and was, that even when qabiil names are not used - regional names are used in place of tribes. Whenever some1 uses Puntland - we know they mean a certain sub-clan - 'Somaliland' the you know who clan..and statements such as the one I pointed out make it even more clear - that the remark was directed at a particulare tribe (who ever you consider the one tribe). so whether Admin goes through the heavey handed task of deleting names - ppl will always find ways of ducking the rules - it happens here all the time and it will continue to happen.

Like I said, I personally don't get annoyed by those who differ to my political view-point. So this is not a question of whether I agree with your statement about that region or not...

Rather, my intention was to point out the contradiction between what you wrote before and what your preaching now...perhaps, you had a change of heart...and if that's the case than i guess you can perhaps set an example to other nomads - who mean well but fall into the trap of hiding behind lables ;) and please don't read this as an attack on your character...I'm just merely expressing my sincere opinion - take it more as a sisterly advice.

salaams