Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Somaliland warns Somalia's leader

Somaliland warns Somalia's leader

The breakaway republic of Somaliland has said it will use force if its borders are threatened after the election of Somalia's new president.

Abdullahi Yusuf was elected on Sunday to head Somalia's first government after 13 years of civil war.

Somaliland, which has declared its independence, is fiercely opposed to Mr Abdullahi who claims two regions within Somaliland belong to Somalia.

Warning

But in Somaliland, independent for 13 years but without any international recognition, the election of Mr Adullahi has not been well received.

The region has refused to participate in the peace process in neighbouring Kenya and has reiterated its sovereignty.

"We remind all concerned that the government and the president elected in Kenya is for Somalia and not Somaliland," Information Minister Abdillahi Mohamed Du'ale said in a statement.

According to the BBC's Husein Ali Nuur in Hargeisa, the Somaliland government has urged the international community to find a solution to the problem of Somaliland before there is any confrontation.

"The people of Somaliland and its government are ready to confront any enemy that tries to violate its borders and territory with force," Mr Du'ale said.

Before his election, Mr Abdullahi was president of the semi-autonomous region of Puntland.

Both Puntland and Somaliland claim the border regions of Sool and Sanaag and clashed over the territory last month.

Meanwhile, Puntland's former vice-president, Mohammed Abdi Haashi, has been sworn as president of the region.

He has promised to work with the proposed new Somali government.

Somali Enclave Voices Hostility To New President

HARGEISA, Somalia (Reuters) - Somalia's most stable region, the breakaway Somaliland enclave, expressed opposition on Tuesday to new Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf, underscoring its hostility to a man long seen as the territory's arch foe.

The enclave on the Gulf of Aden declared independence from anarchic Somalia in 1991 and has since enjoyed relative peace, but is unrecognised internationally.

The Somaliland government warned Yusuf, a warlord elected head of state on Sunday by lawmakers at peace talks held in Kenya, against any attempted aggression and said it was on alert against any move to reunite Somaliland with the rest of Somalia.

"Any claim on Somaliland territory as part of the jurisdiction of Somalia will be seen as naked aggression and direct interference on Somaliland territory," Information Minister Abdillahi Mohamed Du'ale said in a statement.

"We call on frontline states, the African Union, European Union, United States and the international community to find a solution for saving Somaliland and Somalia from direct confrontation, which might bring about instability in the Horn (of Africa) region."

The territory of 3.5 to 4.5 million won independence from Britain in 1960 and quickly joined neighbouring ex-Italian Somalia in the south and east to form a united republic.

But an uprising against Somali dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in the 1980s was followed by years of devastation as he turned his forces against the northwestern enclave.

When Siad Barre fled the country in 1991, Somaliland split away. The rest of Somalia slid into lawlessness and clan-based factional conflict which is still continuing.

In recent years Yusuf has been the political boss of Somalia's region of Puntland, which neighbours Somaliland to the east.

He is unpopular in Somaliland because Puntland and Somaliland have fought sporadic clashes for years over the ownership of several eastern areas of Somaliland claimed by Puntland's leaders as their own, on the basis of ethnicity.

Yusuf's election was the culmination of a two-year peace conference between warlords and clan elders mainly from south and central parts of Somalia as well as from Puntland. Somaliland officials played no part in the gathering.

While the aim is to end the violence in Somalia, there is a tacit understanding among delegates that a new Mogadishu government, provided it can survive, will open talks with Somaliland to try to define their future relationship.

Feisal Ali Warabe, chairman of Somaliland's opposition Justice and Welfare Party, said he expected Yusuf's election to open a new chapter of conflict in Somalia.

"It is shocking to see that two years of efforts and expenses by the international community has ended with the election of a warlord instead of a man of peace," he said.

OG_Girl   

Suldaanka, you playing what we call "Alwaqt al thaaye3" inabti..lol I am not sure exactly what in English maybe "run out of time" or "Borrowed time" :D .

I like your patriot way of fighting till last breath ;) .

Salam

"Alwaqt al thaaye3"

hmmm! whatever that means... waxaad tidhiba lagu yidhi lol

naah, I understand what you mean, but I have a day off tomorrow so I am just killing time.

Hey, you are more patriotic then me, I am just a parttimer you know.

OG_Girl   

LOOOL..You know I am messing around don't you ? ;)

Well, every one have to do what they gotta do or shall I say in my case "what they gotta say"....lol

Anyways, let us hold our breath and see... I am just sceared will happen same A/Qasim who was president just on paper !!!

Salam

LOL @ OG_Girl

You are right walaal... your right to be heard does not automatically include your right to be taken seriously. So to speak of free speech. Sad it is though, our fella nomad Otali has to suffer for speaking against the believes of the establishment.

Anyways, don't worry about Abdilaahi Yusuf, he has a dismal track record. Just make sure you fight for your Og*denia and make sure he doesn't sell you and your cause (if he still hasn't that is) behind closed doors.

OG Girl,

don't worry. Unlike Abdiqasim, Abdullahi Yusuf allready controls a large part of Somalia's landmass and population. He'll certainly not be a president in history books only.

Hopefully Inshalah Somalia will come back to normal:

234-150x150.jpg

President Adan Abdulle Usman (1960-1967)

235-400x500.jpg

President Abdirashir Ali Shermarke (1967-1969)

siyaad.gif

President Muhammad Siyad Barre (1969-1991)

_1747697_yusuf150.jpg

President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed (2004-?)

This Election is good for Somaliland.

Now we do not have to worry about upsetting the political balance in Somaliland or damaging the constituition.

Cabdullahi yusuf's victory has greatly cheered up what you would call " Extremist Somalilanders"

Thank you cabdullahi you have sparked the rise of

the SNM again and the demise of poor Rayale and his treasonous government.

The comming days will be very interesting.

Long Live Somaliland

Somalialand warning i beg you a pardon,

The only thing that somalialand has to warn is the world, According to the real world (Your is all imaginary) "Somalialand" has lost more children and elderly because they could never get enough resources to get real hospitals and effective medicines,

If ever China or our main ally in this thing AFRICA fully reconizes the new goverment, then the only thing that "somalialand" has to warn is to take there dictators out of power and put in a democraticially elected goverment in a position to help the people of somalia who are truly opressed by the so called "goverment"

You can act as independant as you like, it wont change the fact that you are supporting the unsupportable parties of this land.

You can say that we are dictators but "somalialand" and its so ca;;ed leaders are the real hooligans and dictators, Imagine trying to control the whole region with only one clan with real power,

The somalis in hargaisa are conatined and are push around like video game toys, they cant celebrate for their president mudane abdullahi yousuf,

And according to reality the last reporter arrested in the world was in hargaisa, and in the hands of untaimed politicians who claim they have support of their people but in reality they have greed for power and they know they will never get power in proper somalia the only thing they will get once the matter of somalilaland is complete is boot to the back on thir way to jail

I disagree you are the ones who are dreaming.

Somaliland exists wether you like it or not.

Its sad that you only understand force, and associate the Easter Sool, and Sanaag issue with

Somaliland weakness.

We managed to have peace over the years through negotiations and respect for clan borders.

Just because we did not act like our southern brothers and engaged in destruction,looting, pillaging and rape, does not mean that we cannot do it.

Inshallah we will not behave in this fashion

in the future as well, we are more noble than that.

Remember that we do have the largest and best equiped and expeirenced forces in the so called Somali Republic and this does not only include the 15000 on the government payroll and in barracks but all the clan millitias as well.

Combined with geography ,extremely long supply lines for the other side and the fact that we will not face the SNA of the 80's but a rag tag millitia well within our capabilities.

I suggest you do a google search on Somaliland Armed Forces.

But do not worry there will not be war for the foreseeable future, we will just have an increase in the skirmishes along our borders thats all.

In the mean time the International community will twist our arms to come to the negotiating table and make a deal.

These turn of events are beneficial to Somaliland

Long Live SomaliLand

Iam sorry for your hulusination but you are dreaming beyond imagination,

SOMALIALAND ARMED FORCES

I thinks this is your view which not the fact of this great and disturbed earth, you speak like you are trying to force us to believe in your hulisnations.

You must see that the world doesnot revolve around "somalialand"

I live in burco or lived in burco and i know how the people who i call my brothers are subdued and sometimes killed and brainwashed.